Springfield XD Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
...by the underside of the slide so quickly. Would a coat of grease help this, or is it just something one has to expect and live with with this pistol ? I knew it, and accepted it, before I bought the XD but I just wonder if there is something that can be done to mitigate it.

·
Registered
5,720 Posts
not following your question - how would the underside of slide scratch the chamber? Maybe to agree on terminology - the chamber is round hole at back end of barrel. Maybe you mean the top of barrel? Yes that wil get some scratches - I use a very light film of Tetra gun grease wherever there are signs of metal to metal contact.

·
Registered
22,574 Posts
Pics?

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
not following your question - how would the underside of slide scratch the chamber? Maybe to agree on terminology - the chamber is round hole at back end of barrel. Maybe you mean the top of barrel? Yes that wil get some scratches - I use a very light film of Tetra gun grease wherever there are signs of metal to metal contact.
Yes, top of barrel..the flat area of the barrel above the chamber that is visible through the ejection port of the slide.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Pics aren't necessary..

Pick up your XD and look at the top of the slide, then focus on the top of the barrel visible through the ejection port. If it's not scratched from having the slide cycle when shooting, tell me what you are doing to prevent it.

·
Registered
9,951 Posts
Not loose tolerances that would be tight lock up. The top of the barrel rubs on the inside of the slide, metal against metal rubbing/contact will wear. All pistols that use a locking tilting barrel will show that type of wear. The barrel is Blued that bluing will wear.

·
Registered
542 Posts
Not loose tolerances that would be tight lock up. The top of the barrel rubs on the inside of the slide, metal against metal rubbing/contact will wear. All pistols that use a locking tilting barrel will show that type of wear. The barrel is Blued that bluing will wear.
Really then how is it that my M&P 40 has tripple the amount of rounds through it and doesent suffer from the same marking that XD produce? Again loose tolerances. I work on cars and heavy duty equipment, I know what loose tolerances produce. XDs have a sloppy fit, I do not care what anyone says.

·
Banned
38,922 Posts

·
Registered
8,351 Posts
Wouldnt loose tolerances produce less wear? i mean the tighter it is the more it would scrape. I think alot has to do with barrel finish some are tougher than others. my glocks have a stronger finish on the slide and barrel than my XDS. either way does it really matter if the top of the chamber is scraped? I care more about function than anything. Its not a wilson 1911 or something that you would care if its scratched.

Reactions: Fernando_Sucre

·
Registered
464 Posts
Really then how is it that my M&P 40 has tripple the amount of rounds through it and doesent suffer from the same marking that XD produce? Again loose tolerances. I work on cars and heavy duty equipment, I know what loose tolerances produce. XDs have a sloppy fit, I do not care what anyone says.
the funny thing is the guy you are telling, you know more about tolerances because you are a "mechanic" works on guns for a living, and ownes around 40 XD,s. Im pretty sure he knows what he is talking about.
And on the same note, if two pieces of metal fit real tight they will rub more than if there is a loose fit....regardless of the fit of SA, XDs. :confused:

·
Registered
9,951 Posts
I am sorry I did not know I was talking to a Mechanic. Here is my last interaction with a mechanic:
http://www.xd-hs2000.com/xd-hs2000/Have_The_Right_Tools.html

A loose fit would allow the barrel to smack the slide.....this would peen the metal. In the gun world this is most commonly seen in a poorly fitted 1911 barrel (loose) the lugs hit the locking area of the slide and peen the locking lugs deforming them while shooting and to the extreme can break off. If the barrel lock up were loose on an XD the front edge of the locking surface would start to round off as the slide smacks into the barrel (bad). If the front edge of the barrel hood is sharp but has some nice polishing the timing is good and you may actually be using your pistol. Examples of this are the Sigs and the high milage XD`s.

A tight lock up allows the metal against metal to glide across each surface........the friction polishes the area making shiny spots. Notice I have always said a tight lock up not tight fit. The barrel is not tight in the slide........but when the barrel is locked it is pushed up into the slide by the Take down lever. This happens with all Locking tilting barrel designs pattered after Brownings original ideas. And while cycling the slide is moving across the barrel and is tight in the barrel hole opening creating all of those nice patterns at the end of the barrel.

No to the picture all tight guns will rub including your magical M&P cause it is a locking tilting barrel design. Even a 1911 will wear. Look at all of the barrels even the glock )it has around 50 round) Notice the front locking edge I see some shinies. The Sigs well they are used and abused and are all polished up with thousands and thousands or rounds. The M&P (100 rounds) It is wearing even being melonited. The Khar (not something you see every day) It wears as well but weirdly makes dark markings instead of shiny ones. The XD`s from my Tactical collection (100 rounds, 3000 rounds, 2000 rounds, 8000 plus rounds, 4000 rounds) Efk XD barrel 6000 plus rounds.
All gun barrels will be polished if you use or cycle them

·
Registered
538 Posts
ZING! A picture truly does say a thousand words.

I use a little bit of gun grease on metal to metal contact surfaces as well, but personally, I like the wear effect the barrel is earning itself. Might be the same reason I love the look of a good and worn 1911 frame. Shows the gun isn't a SafeQueen.

·
Registered
9,951 Posts
ZING! A picture truly does say a thousand words.

I use a little bit of gun grease on metal to metal contact surfaces as well, but personally, I like the wear effect the barrel is earning itself. Might be the same reason I love the look of a good and worn 1911 frame. Shows the gun isn't a SafeQueen.
So true.

·
Registered
265 Posts
My barrel is polished. No more scratches and smooth as Crisco. Problem solved.

Never seen a used gun with a barrel hood that didn't have wear marks on it.

·
Registered
447 Posts

If you were really a mechanic you would know that in an automotive/heavy equipment engine, the edge of the piston ring get worn or polished from a tight fit. If its a loose fit, then rings get broken, pistons get damaged and cylinders & cylinder liners need to be repaired/replaced.

Its all about TIGHT tolerances, not loose tolerances. Try again please.

·
Banned
38,922 Posts

·
Registered
9,951 Posts
Hey now I was not that mean.......the point is that just because your a mechanic does not mean your a smith. I am pretty mechanical my self, but I am not a mechanic. I would not touch my Tacoma I would screw it up. I would have to pay a mechanic to repair what i "fixed". Why would you get a plumber to fix your electrical, you would not. So being a mechanic and spouting off something does not make it true.

I like extra butter on my popcorn with a slushy. :( I don`t have a fancy logo.

·
Registered
710 Posts
I don't know alot about guns, I'm new to the forum, but as a CE with almost 30 years experience with ME applications, I know that a "sloppy" fit in some designs is sometimes the best design when other design considerations are factored. Is the gun reliable? Accurate? Does it do what it is supposed to do?

I don't want my gun scratched up, especially when there are other guns that work as well or better without that flaw. I'm sure that this phenomena has not escaped the SA design crew.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.