Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
886 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The other day I looking through the blue book and different guns and prices. Several years ago, maybe 15 years, I owned a S&W 629 4" bbl and sold it and had trouble doing that for 325.00. In the 2011 book value of that gun is around 600.00:shock: Comparing the Smith's to the Colt's and Ruger's they haven't increased as much. Smith's lost some value after they were sold to a English firm but now their US owned again going sky high; what's up.

·
Registered
786 Posts
Real value always cost more. S&W autos DO not hold value as the Revolvers.

·
Registered
29,675 Posts
The other day I looking through the blue book and different guns and prices. Several years ago, maybe 15 years, I owned a S&W 629 4" bbl and sold it and had trouble doing that for 325.00. In the 2011 book value of that gun is around 600.00:shock: Comparing the Smith's to the Colt's and Ruger's they haven't increased as much. Smith's lost some value after they were sold to a English firm but now their US owned again going sky high; what's up.

Ummm...have you priced a Python lately?

Most Colt revolvers have increased close to 50% over the past 5 or so years; my Anaconda that I bought in 2004 for just over $600 would be worth over $900 now.

S&W revolvers haven't inceased in value nearly as much...however, unlike Colt revolvers (except the SAA) they're still being made.

·
Registered
886 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Just trying to understand the differences between S&W and /or Colt and Ruger. Yes, Colt has the Python, but it's a custom shop gun. Heard their apples and oranges so can somebody explain the difference?

·
Premium Member
2,497 Posts
The old pythons, cobras, etc are not custom shop guns and have increased in value as much as the Smiths. More people want the Smiths and Colts, it is simply a case of supply and demand. Price a ruger 10/22 in 22mag.

·
Registered
267 Posts
I have turned down $1,500 for my once fired 1995 Colt King Cobra in bright stainless… The bright was not made as much (Which I did not know when I bought it new) and demands a higher price. I just liked the looks for the 6 inch bright stainless better...

·
Registered
4,999 Posts
Because they shoot. I don't mean "they go bang every time." You can get that from a bottom of the barrel XD or Glock. S&W revolvers do it right. people don't buy and sell them on a whim like they do glocks and tauruses. Watch classifieds on different boards and you'll see other guns coming up week after week from different sellers. They'll buy it off the board, sit on it a week, and back it goes. S&W and Colt, not so much.

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
Because they shoot. I don't mean "they go bang every time." You can get that from a bottom of the barrel XD or Glock. S&W revolvers do it right. people don't buy and sell them on a whim like they do glocks and tauruses. Watch classifieds on different boards and you'll see other guns coming up week after week from different sellers. They'll buy it off the board, sit on it a week, and back it goes. S&W and Colt, not so much.
Exactly. My grandfather on my mother's side bought his Smith model 10 in 1968. And now he gave it to me. People just don't give up their smiths. My other grandfather had a 1957 Model 36. He had it til he died, and now I have it. And I will never sell either of these. They will stay with me til I die, and I'm only 32.

·
Registered
58 Posts
I'm about to buy my dad a SW revolver and hope it's worth the price I pay or more when I'm his age. First revolver he's owned but has shot a few. He's dead set on a SW though. Nothing else will do for him. Probably be buying it this weekend.

·
Registered
1,139 Posts
Because old S&W are sexy:cool:

·
Registered
27 Posts
Used 686s are going for $600 and up around here. If I had to guess, I'd say it's the name recognition that makes the price keep going up.

Of course, the one Smith I buy in recent times, a Bodyguard 38 Spl about a year ago, has zero demand- I recently needed quick cash and so put it up for sale locally and couldn't get so much as a call at $350- and this gun is like new. (fwiw, I hate the laser- I took it off and it sits in the box. Pressing a button up high on the frame is counter-instinctive. Should be grip-activated.) But it weighs almost nothing, esp without the laser unit, so I kept it.

·
Registered
387 Posts
I bet alot of it also has to do with the "Hillary Hole." When I bought my 686+ many older models without the frame lock were just as expensive in worse overall condition. If you don't want the frame lock or MIM parts you need to pay more to find one in new condition.

·
Registered
1,581 Posts
While I'm not really a fan of the Hillary Hole, there are times when I find it convenient and my choice in wheelgun trends to the heavier guns where self activation of the lock is exceedingly rare.

As for the MIM internals, S&W does MIM correctly and in side by side durability testing the MIM parts proved MORE wear resistant than the forged parts with no tendancy of failure. I've also found the later MIM guns to require about 1/2 as much work to tune the action for a superb DA trigger. IMO, in the case of a S&W MIM is 100% a positive with no downside.

As for why S&W revolvers command a premium price on the market, it's simple. They are very well designed revolvers that are also very easy to work on without extensive training. That isn't the case for something like a Colt Python, every single aspect of the lockwork is hand fitted and any tuning needed due to wear requires the attention of a Factory Trained Armorer, which are now getting on in age and becoming difficult to find. Basically, the S&W is a Chevy and any corner mechanic can get one working properly, the Python is a Ferrari and it takes a real artisan to get them running properly. Personally, as much as I like the looks of a Ferrari, I'd rather have a Chevy parked in my garage.

·
Registered
886 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
MIM is that 'metal injection molding' that is interesting.

That was well said. Really go for Colt's or Ruger's just watching them and there was short time the price dropped a little and then boom. Seems like I heard they have good triggers.

·
Registered
387 Posts
While I'm not really a fan of the Hillary Hole, there are times when I find it convenient and my choice in wheelgun trends to the heavier guns where self activation of the lock is exceedingly rare.

As for the MIM internals, S&W does MIM correctly and in side by side durability testing the MIM parts proved MORE wear resistant than the forged parts with no tendancy of failure. I've also found the later MIM guns to require about 1/2 as much work to tune the action for a superb DA trigger. IMO, in the case of a S&W MIM is 100% a positive with no downside.
I did my research as well and chose to pick up the 686-6.

·
Registered
4,401 Posts
Good to know! I think I might sell my S&W 442 with Crimson Trace grip!

·
Registered
89 Posts
That pretty much sums it up. I would have to be very desperate to get rid of any of my 4 S&W revolvers, but my XD or Walther would go without hesitation.

·
Registered
502 Posts
That pretty much sums it up. I would have to be very desperate to get rid of any of my 4 S&W revolvers, but my XD or Walther would go without hesitation.
+1, I have a 4" S&W revolver that I'm going to be buried with, just kidding. I'm the second generation to have the revolver, I'm hoping to be able to pass it onto one of my kids someday.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts