Springfield XD Forum banner
1 - 20 of 63 Posts

·
Premium Member
16,913 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Keep reading if deer hunting with 223/556 to shoot them in the neck. Why.

If you were going to shoot a deer with 223 where would you aim.

Safety is a momentary choice. Prior performance and certification are completely irrelevant.

·
Premium Member
1,405 Posts
Because people are stupid and don't understand anatomy. No matter if I'm shooting 5.56, 308, or my bow... I'm aiming for the boiler room.

Sent via dixie cup string phone.

·
Premium Member
16,913 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Because people are stupid and don't understand anatomy. No matter if I'm shooting 5.56, 308, or my bow... I'm aiming for the boiler room.

I think the theory is it cracks the neck dropping them in place.

I was always taught heart.

Safety is a momentary choice. Prior performance and certification are completely irrelevant.

·
Registered
10,949 Posts
I think the theory is it cracks the neck dropping them in place.

I was always taught heart.

It can, and certainly does break the neck. But it's a small target and is inconsistent. Most people wont admit it but aren't good enough shots to be doing that.

I shoot for the boiler room too.

·
Premium Member
4,437 Posts
It can, and certainly does break the neck. But it's a small target and is inconsistent. Most people wont admit it but aren't good enough shots to be doing that.

Every deer I've shot in the neck dropped in its tracks. Hell even the one I shot last year at 188 yards was shot in the neck.. he piled up on the spot.
Alot of people shoot for the neck because the deer does NOT run! btw I use a 30-06.

·
Premium Member
4,437 Posts

I understand anatomy just fine tyvm. I shoot alot of deer in the neck. and usually I eat the heart so id rather NOT shoot the thing. I guess I'm just as you say.. "stupid":roll:

·
Registered
1,257 Posts
The neck shots i have been around were misses, or lapses in concentration. Both younger kids, 12 and 15, Both out of a .243 and both had to be shot in the lungs when we got on them.

old hunting books mention neck shots, but mostly with a 30-06 or a .270. With a larger rifle that has much more energy you could claim the impact of the bullet can rupture the spine without having to break vertebrae. I haven't shot much .223 but I know it doesn't have near the umph of a .270.

if you don't paralyze, they can go a long way before they bleed out. The lungs are still providing air and the heart is still pumping blood. Some of that blood is spilling if you hit a major artery, but it could take hours to be fatal.

hit them in the lungs and they can no longer get air, no longer oxygenate the muscles to run, and lay down. Heart? Game over. Quickly. Every time.

·
Registered
10,949 Posts
I understand anatomy just fine tyvm. I shoot alot of deer in the neck. and usually I eat the heart so id rather NOT shoot the thing. I guess I'm just as you say.. "stupid":roll:
I'm not calling you stupid. I'm just saying a whole lot of folks can't hit at or around the spinal cord very consistently. It sounds like you can, so more power to you. Do what works and is humane.

·
Registered
10,949 Posts
The neck shots i have been around were misses, or lapses in concentration. Both younger kids, 12 and 15, Both out of a .243 and both had to be shot in the lungs when we got on them.

old hunting books mention neck shots, but mostly with a 30-06 or a .270. With a larger rifle that has much more energy you could claim the impact of the bullet can rupture the spine without having to break vertebrae. I haven't shot much .223 but I know it doesn't have near the umph of a .270.

if you don't paralyze, they can go a long way before they bleed out. The lungs are still providing air and the heart is still pumping blood. Some of that blood is spilling if you hit a major artery, but it could take hours to be fatal.

hit them in the lungs and they can no longer get air, no longer oxygenate the muscles to run, and lay down. Heart? Game over. Quickly. Every time.
I agree.

FWIW, my hunting rifle is a .270, and it does pack quite a wallop.

·
Registered
10,949 Posts
I am by no means an expert in either hunting or ballistics, but I am not an entirely incompetent hunter, so I have an idea of what works and what doesn't.

Yocan, if I were using a .223 to hunt deer with, I would be shooting broadside at close range at the heart/lung area, using a pretty heavy round of soft point construction.

·
Banned
20,016 Posts
Right in the pump house unless moving straight away. Then right in the butt hole.

It had to be said.

·
Premium Member
4,437 Posts
I'm not calling you stupid. I'm just saying a whole lot of folks can't hit at or around the spinal cord very consistently. It sounds like you can, so more power to you. Do what works and is humane.
No you didnt but that other fella did :) No worries Nathan.

·
Premium Member
1,405 Posts
No you didnt but that other fella did :) No worries Nathan.
You can shoot for the neck all you like but telling others to do it with a .223... Is stupid. You're firing a cartridge that causes a twelve inch wide, twelve inch deep temporary wound cavity at 200 yards, a .223 it is not.

·
Premium Member
4,437 Posts
You can shoot for the neck all you like but telling others to do it with a .223... Is stupid. You're firing a cartridge that causes a twelve inch wide, twelve inch deep temporary wound cavity at 200 yards, a .223 it is not.

When did I mention anything about a .223? I believe I said I used a 30-06.

Reactions: jonathan171

·
Premium Member
4,437 Posts
The original question posed... My response was to those suggesting to shoot for the neck with a 223.

Ahh that makes more sense. Then again I think a .223 is a very poor choice for deer no matter where you shoot it.

·
Registered
10,949 Posts
Ahh that makes more sense. Then again I think a .223 is a very poor choice for deer no matter where you shoot it.
I used to agree, but after doing a lot of reading and watching ballistics tests, I think the .223 is appropriate for small to moderate sized deer within 100 yards, if broadside shots are taken, and the correct bullets are used.

·
Premium Member
1,405 Posts
I wouldn't say very poor if you're willing to stick to short distances, stay with a heavy and trusted bullet design that retains is weight and aim for the top of the heart. If you do all of these things, it's an ok choice. I still prefer a light 270 or 308 over all others but that's just me.

·
Premium Member
4,437 Posts
I just think a 22cal bullet is too small, I personally would never use one for deer but i have heard of people successfully shooting deer with it. I'll stick to my 30caliber bullets.

1 - 20 of 63 Posts