Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
These are out of my new PM40, about 210 rounds out of it. I ran 150 rounds through it tonight and most of them looked like this when the came out. The gun ran great.

·
Premium Member
12,117 Posts
Extraction and ejection of empties is actually a pretty violent series of events. I've noticed greater and lesser degrees of brass deformation in almost every semi-auto I've shot. Unless it's ripping the case rims off or stovepiping I wouldn't worry about it.

·
Registered
1,714 Posts
agree with Dan, looks pretty normal

...........but just in case, please send the gun to me with 500 rounds off ammo for extensive testing :p:D:p:D
Better send it to me afterward, Ill even clean it before I shoot it.....just to make sure.

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
I would say that is fairly typical.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
agree with Dan, looks pretty normal

...........but just in case, please send the gun to me with 500 rounds off ammo for extensive testing :p:D:p:D
The gun ran fine. I just wanted to make sure it's wasn't a problem. Never noticed it with my XD's.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Could also be your ammo if its reloads the brass could be tired.

·
Registered
3,263 Posts
There's part of the problem at least... Federal is not known for their high quality brass. It tends to be thinner walled and thus more prone to deformation. It also will handle fewer reloads before fatigue starts causing case ruptures. From the look of the deformation, it looks like the cases are landing on the mouth and with the thin wall and hot brass, it's very possible the impact alone could cause the deformation seen there.

Pick up a box of winnie white box and see if it happens. Winchester is known to make some of the stoutest brass on the market.

·
Registered
6,738 Posts
It looks like this is happening upon ejection as that is the only time the case can be deformed. I would say the case is hitting the ejection port when it leaves the gun. If that is the problem it will never go away regardless of what ammo you use. In other words it is a poor gun design. This flaw is why major gun brands make their ejection ports larger or tapered. There will soon be a shinny area (or worn area) that shows up on your gun where the cases are rubbing.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts