Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
7,016 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, this is my first post in this AR area of XD Talk. :) I'm not trying to tick anyone off here as I have nothing against AR's. I like em. But with all the gun ban hysteria, and people looking for these (along with AK's, etc), it has me thinking whether I should get one, or if I need one. I hope I can get some good advice as to why you have one (or more), and what made you decide to get it. Thanks.

·
Registered
1,108 Posts
Well, first and foremost is they are a ton of fun to shoot. Recoil is light and they are accurate and easy to sight in, which makes for a fun shooter. Plus they are easy to customize. Look at any pictures of ARs and you can see that few look alike.

Ammo is cheap also (at least for the time being), at least compared to other rifle ammo. Which just kinda adds to the appeal of being able to shoot it alot.

As far as NEEDING to own one (or an AK for that matter), thats kinda up to you. If you really think that someday you are gonna need to violently defend your guns, and are willing to do that, than an AR isnt a bad gun for it. I only know a couple guys with ARs. One of them swears up and down that he is gonna need it to defend his rights eventually. The other isnt nearly as paranoid (I guess this might be the right word for it) and isnt so worried about it.

At the same time, I think alot of people that do own one for that purpose dont have nearly enough trigger time/training with them to really take advantage of what an AR is capable of as a combat weapon.

·
Registered
7,016 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I was going to look into all this after I moved to an American State (out of Kaliforniastan). Now I feel pressured as Obamastan and Bidenstan are going to be in the White House (not to mention Pelosistan will be happy to work with them) to find out more about them now. I'm no hunter, or a mall ninja. I do believe in SD and HD, and I like to shoot at paper targets.

·
Registered
1,897 Posts
Hype is powerful. I've gone from saying "I just need to finish my AK before the election" to "Shoot, I better start an AR build while I still can!" to "Looks like I'm gonna spend a ton to get exactly what I want before January."

I love my AK and will probably serve as the SHTF gun over an AR, but an AR is a fine piece of equipment that will serve anyone well.

·
Registered
212 Posts
If you'd like to shoot service rifle competition, an AR is almost like cheating:-D. Other options are the M1 Garand, and M1A (semi version of the M14), or a bolt-gun. Compared to the .30 cal's, classics though they are, the AR is just more pleasant, especially in the timed-fire stages.

Better question would be to try to find any reasons to not get an AR... I'm sure somebody may be able to come up with something...

·
Banned
38,922 Posts
I do believe in SD and HD, and I like to shoot at paper targets.
There is YOUR reason right there in your own words.
I gotta agree, and up the Zombie Count to +20

Cap'n you might even consider a target model with a full float 20" barrel if your paper has a tendency to get evil ;)
Also, these will be listed as hunting models and might be easier to purchase in California.

·
Banned
38,922 Posts
Better question would be to try to find any reasons to not get an AR... I'm sure somebody may be able to come up with something...
Money is the only thing I can think of.

·
Registered
787 Posts

·
Premium Member
876 Posts
Zombies are the first priority.... But it took me quite a while to decided to buy an AR.... Finally, borrowed a buddies AR, and remembered how much fun they are to shoot.

Main Reasons I bought one:
1) Fun to Shoot...
2) Accurate enough for pest control
3) Fun of having something different: up to this point, all of the rifles have been dedicated hunting rifles....
4) For a centerfire, inexpensive to shoot while still being accurate. To me, the AK/SKS/?? just did not fill the bill.
5) For that 1 in a million chance that something happens and I have to defend the homestead, it uses the same ammo as the US Military and many parts are interchangeable.
6) Parts are interchangeable: allowing me to modify the weapon for a particular job: just like my Browning Citori: grab whatever gauge barrel set for the job.

Reasons not to get one:
1) The ammo gets expensive.....cost per shell is not bad, but with 30 rd magazines, you can go thru 500rds in a afternoon.
2) Can be habit forming....I am already looking at another one....
3) "modding" these out also can get expensive: I have spent as much in aftermarket accessories and ammunition as I did on the weapon.... First it was just a grip, then along came a Eotech, then more magazines, then a case, then a different sling, etc etc....

Hope this helps....:mrgreen:

Woof
Bowser

·
Registered
206 Posts
zombies are the first priority.... But it took me quite a while to decided to buy an ar.... Finally, borrowed a buddies ar, and remembered how much fun they are to shoot.

Main reasons i bought one:
1) fun to shoot...
2) accurate enough for pest control
3) fun of having something different: Up to this point, all of the rifles have been dedicated hunting rifles....
4) for a centerfire, inexpensive to shoot while still being accurate. To me, the ak/sks/?? Just did not fill the bill.
5) for that 1 in a million chance that something happens and i have to defend the homestead, it uses the same ammo as the us military and many parts are interchangeable.
6) parts are interchangeable: Allowing me to modify the weapon for a particular job: Just like my browning citori: Grab whatever gauge barrel set for the job.

Reasons not to get one:
1) the ammo gets expensive.....cost per shell is not bad, but with 30 rd magazines, you can go thru 500rds in a afternoon.
2) can be habit forming....i am already looking at another one....
3) "modding" these out also can get expensive: I have spent as much in aftermarket accessories and ammunition as i did on the weapon.... First it was just a grip, then along came a eotech, then more magazines, then a case, then a different sling, etc etc....

Hope this helps....:mrgreen:

Woof
bowser

+1000000

·
Registered
132 Posts
Money is the only thing I can think of.
That's the only thing that's held me back so far...
+1 ... but I might be working out a deal "real soon now"

zombies dont kill themselves?
+100

I've only ever shot an AR once, and that was almost 10 years ago. I shot an AK the same day. I like the AK and even owned an SKS at one time, but the AR was just nicer for me. If my deal falls through, I might get an AK or derivative though just based on cost, and to get in under the ban unless it is retroactive.

·
Registered
7,016 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Thanks for the input. I appreciate it. :)

Kalifornia hunting version may be my best bet. Is there any real difference?

·
Banned
38,922 Posts
Thanks for the input. I appreciate it. :)

Kalifornia hunting version may be my best bet. Is there any real difference?
Yea, they don't get pimped out unless you change things.
Mine looks just like this one, except I've got a tripod on it. ... Funny, I can't find a picture of mine.

Oh, and they'll do crazy tight groups if you are up to it, and use the right ammo :D

It's the full-float barrel that gives it the accuracy edge.
Example: How Accurate is Your Bushmaster?

ETA: I think your grip and magazine configuration is gonna be different though ... California !!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts