Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Premium Member
270 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For some reason, I have an urge to purchase an AR. Honestly, I can't understand why. I have several guns, including a Mini 14. Can't remember the last time that I took any of my rifles out to the range to just shoot. I am an avid bow hunter and have not hunted with a rifle in several years. Now, I do go to the range and shoot my pistols quite often. And, I have a great interest in growing my pistol collection. (Springfield stainless steel Loaded Champion on order for three months now :D)

But, I have wrestled with this inclination to buy an AR type rifle for the last 3-4 months. Usually, I read up all kinds of stuff on these guns and try to decide what I would purchase, then I really can't come up with a valid reason for it.

I have been stocking up on all kinds of ammo for months now. The guns that I have will pretty much cover what ever might be required of me. My fear is that I will get an "AR bug" and go nuts. I have purchased four pistols this year. Really, I don't need to start an AR collection.........do I?:lol:

·
Registered
127 Posts
All of the above, plus the AR is a cut above most everything else out there. Don't be surprised if you suddenly feel like selling that mini 14 after spending some time setting up a tricked out black rifle...

·
Registered
1,897 Posts
Obama is indeed the reason. What it's come down to for me isn't if I necessarily if am compelled to buy one now, it's if I will be compelled to buy one in the next 5 years or so. I hadn't originally planned on buying/building an AR in the next few months, but I did plan on it in the next few years. One of those is possible, one of them might not be.

·
Registered
1,354 Posts
Just buy one already, but be forewarned...they are like Lay's potato chips: I bet ya can't have just one!! :)

·
Registered
3,386 Posts
I'm about done with my first one and I'm pretty close to pulling the trigger on a lower.

·
Premium Member
270 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Just buy one already, but be forewarned...they are like Lay's potato chips: I bet ya can't have just one!! :)
That is what I am afraid of. Kind of jumped into handguns and went a little wild. :shock:

Oh, I am probably going to get an AR. I doubt that I will ever sell any of my guns, including the Mini 14. Sold some long ago and have regretted it to this day.

·
Registered
1,897 Posts
That is what I am afraid of. Kind of jumped into handguns and went a little wild. :shock:

Oh, I am probably going to get an AR. I doubt that I will ever sell any of my guns, including the Mini 14. Sold some long ago and have regretted it to this day.
That's ALMOST all I ever hear (with few exceptions). I'm not much of an impulse buyer so I can't picture buying a gun I dislike so much that I sell or trade it, but the thought of selling a gun makes me sad (even if it's to fund another gun).

·
Registered
127 Posts
Maybe it's just because I lived in New York for so long. As soon as I moved out I sold everything, which consisted of several NY neutered AK's, a pair of SKS's and eight other misc, shotguns, bolt guns and C&R military rifles.

I now concentrate on AR's and 45acp handguns. I don't miss any of the ones I sold one bit. My AR's do everything better than the other guns did, and I went from about 8 different calibers of ammo to two.

Of course, I've been thinking about building a really high end sniper/big game rifle and an AR in 308....:rolleyes:

·
Premium Member
270 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Get it while you can. One day it'll be too hard/impossible to get something like an AR. I just hope that day is far far away.

This might persuade ya a little ;)

AR15.COM :: Forums :: GROUP BUY STAG/CMT M-4 RIFLE KIT LESS STRIPPED LOWER $599 shipped OFFERED TO ELECTION DAY

all you need is a lower and you're set!
Forgive my ignorance, but, what do I have to do to get all the parts in my hands. Do I have to have the upper/lower sent to a licensed firearms dealer. Can they be sent directly to me? How does it work?

·
Registered
5,752 Posts

·
Registered
5,759 Posts
upper and/or parts can be sent directly to you.

Lower receiver has to go through your FFL for transfer

·
Registered
127 Posts
The stripped lower is the serial numbered part that is considered the gun. You need to buy that from a local dealer or have it shipped to a FFL. Everything else you can order direct yourself...

Edit- You beat me by mere seconds LOL

·
Registered
1,897 Posts
Forgive my ignorance, but, what do I have to do to get all the parts in my hands. Do I have to have the upper/lower sent to a licensed firearms dealer. Can they be sent directly to me? How does it work?
For that group buy (the kits) they can be sent straight to you. Only the lower receiver (whether it's stripped or complete), needs to go through an FFL.

Edit: Amazingly the same question was just answered about 8 times in two threads... not being critical, I just think it's funny.

·
Premium Member
270 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
The stripped lower is the serial numbered part that is considered the gun. You need to buy that from a local dealer or have it shipped to a FFL. Everything else you can order direct yourself...
From what I have been reading, that was my understanding. I have also read that a lower is a lower. Not much difference among them.

Thanks guys, I appreciate your help.
I apologize for my ignorance.

·
Registered
1,897 Posts
From what I have been reading, that was my understanding. I have also read that a lower is a lower. Not much difference among them.
is a lower... that's what they say!

No reason to apologize. None of us were born with this knowledge.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts