Springfield XD Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In the lower 48 states, that's ridiculous, actually. if you frequent places where you might get stranded, simply pay the deposit and rent a satellite phone. :) Very few places in the lower 48 where running a smoky fire all day would not bring you help in a very few days. You;re much more likely to need your EDC pocket pistol, vs dogs, people, rabid animals (out in the sticks, now) than you are to need to feed yourself on squirrels and birds. :) snares, and trotlines/gill nets, made out of monofilament line, are much more productive than any 410 ever thought of being, without all the noise.:) How far would you have to walk to find woven wire fencing, or electrical or phone line, hmm? or boards/PVC? You can make traps from boards and recovered junk, or just sticks and cordage, depending upon the critter being trapped. Birds, fish, turtles, reptiles and crustaceans aint going to be gnawing or clawing their way out of such traps.

if shtf, you'll be fighting people (or at least, have to be ready for such) so shotguns, bolt actions, single shots, forget em. You'll need rapidfire potential, and you'll need .22lr capability. If you go with the AK, AR, HK, FAL, or mini-14, there are .22lr conversion units available for your fighting rifle. So you can easily swap out the parts to forage small game. Also, there are .32 ACP adapters for 308 rifles, and .32 is small and lw enough to carry a lot of it with you. A much better answer than squib loads for the 308, which do little for the weight/bulk problem.

Or you can go with a takedown pellet rifle for the small stuff, or an accurate .22lr handgun. (mostly used with CB caps). The CCI "long" CB's feed quite readily when you hand cycle the slide of a .22lr autoloader. The short CB's can be made to feed, too, if you "nurse" the slide on the forward stroke.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
traps and nets work for you 24-7, and you can tend several score of them per day, keeping your rifle ready for any game spotted. You really only need a deer a month, ya know. Or a couple of elk per year, or one moose (or cow or horse). This is along with a number of fish, small critters and a lot of plant-source food. You'll get pretty sick of having nothing more than pemmican or jerky. :)

·
Registered
8,278 Posts
quite frankly...your opinion is all this is...You are making some huge generalizations based upon pure opinion...not trashing you, just being honest

I personally intend to avoid "people" who are not immediate neighbors at all costs; I plan to keep a very low profile to avoid spending precious ammunition unnecessarily...I will take a K98 Mauser or Mosin Nagant over your "rapid-fire" suggestions--simpler, more robust designs that can be utilized as hand-to-hand weapons if needed; not exactly "single-shot" but same principle...

also, single-shot weapon promote marksmanship over "spray and pray" logic...precisely why Grandad wouldn't allow me to hunt with anything but a single-shot until I proved to him I could be proficient with a shotgun or rifle...

Keep in mind, most of us have more than one gun; I have several bolt-guns, single shots included...I have bolt-action and single shot shotguns...still prefer my Auto-5 but doesnt make them any less useful...

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I mean, what's a single shot .22 do that a Marlin Papoose can't do? A chokeless, 18" barrel 410 wont reliably bring a starling out of a tree beyond 20 yds, with the 3" shell, nor 50 ft, with the 2.5" shell. I aint kidding. I had a Bronco 410 in 1970, and I deliberately checked out its maximum effective range. If that's as far as you can hit, you're better off with a take-down pellet rifle. At least its quiet and for the bulk and weight of a single 3" 410 shell, you can have 35 pellets.

Why not have the rapidfire, and be able to fight (at least a bit)? Get your head out of the sand. If YOU are needing to survive with a gun, why are not 1000's of others in the same boat, hmm? If they are, then you're in danger of being shot, and you need some means of effectively fighting back. I can't see having only the .22 autoloader, myself, but it's a far better choice than just a single shot, regardless of gauge or caliber.

·
Registered
10,949 Posts
quite frankly...your opinion is all this is...You are making some huge generalizations based upon pure opinion...not trashing you, just being honest

I personally intend to avoid "people" who are not immediate neighbors at all costs; I plan to keep a very low profile to avoid spending precious ammunition unnecessarily...I will take a K98 Mauser or Mosin Nagant over your "rapid-fire" suggestions--simpler, more robust designs that can be utilized as hand-to-hand weapons if needed; not exactly "single-shot" but same principle...

also, single-shot weapon promote marksmanship over "spray and pray" logic...precisely why Grandad wouldn't allow me to hunt with anything but a single-shot until I proved to him I could be proficient with a shotgun or rifle...

Keep in mind, most of us have more than one gun; I have several bolt-guns, single shots included...I have bolt-action and single shot shotguns...still prefer my Auto-5 but doesnt make them any less useful...
You are one to talk about basing posts on nothing but opinion.

·
Premium Member
4,647 Posts
Folks, a little info about tmax:

He's a sock puppet of a troll named Billt that once haunted this site, but was banned because, well, he was a troll. Hopefully the mods will realize this and nuke him from orbit tut suite.

But, a few more salient points so you know exactly what you're dealing with until then:

Whatever it is, he knows more about it than you.

Whatever it is, he's been doing it longer than you.

Whatever it is, his is cheaper in cost than yours, but is higher quality than yours.

So, you can expect any statement he makes to follow these outlines, and you can react accordingly.

Feeding trolls only extends their disruption :)

·
Registered
19,988 Posts
if you are getting into firefights, you aren't surviving long no matter what you are packing.

·
Registered
17,776 Posts

·
Registered
741 Posts
In the lower 48 states, that's ridiculous, actually. if you frequent places where you might get stranded, simply pay the deposit and rent a satellite phone. :) Very few places in the lower 48 where running a smoky fire all day would not bring you help in a very few days. You;re much more likely to need your EDC pocket pistol, vs dogs, people, rabid animals (out in the sticks, now) than you are to need to feed yourself on squirrels and birds. :) snares, and trotlines/gill nets, made out of monofilament line, are much more productive than any 410 ever thought of being, without all the noise.:) How far would you have to walk to find woven wire fencing, or electrical or phone line, hmm? or boards/PVC? You can make traps from boards and recovered junk, or just sticks and cordage, depending upon the critter being trapped. Birds, fish, turtles, reptiles and crustaceans aint going to be gnawing or clawing their way out of such traps.

if shtf, you'll be fighting people (or at least, have to be ready for such) so shotguns, bolt actions, single shots, forget em. You'll need rapidfire potential, and you'll need .22lr capability. If you go with the AK, AR, HK, FAL, or mini-14, there are .22lr conversion units available for your fighting rifle. So you can easily swap out the parts to forage small game. Also, there are .32 ACP adapters for 308 rifles, and .32 is small and lw enough to carry a lot of it with you. A much better answer than squib loads for the 308, which do little for the weight/bulk problem.

Or you can go with a takedown pellet rifle for the small stuff, or an accurate .22lr handgun. (mostly used with CB caps). The CCI "long" CB's feed quite readily when you hand cycle the slide of a .22lr autoloader. The short CB's can be made to feed, too, if you "nurse" the slide on the forward stroke.

What if you're changing out parts to hunt cause you're hungry and a fight comes your way?

·
Registered
2,371 Posts
I myself would be a long distance looter, targeting country folk who come out to do their daily duties.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts