Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Considering how long the XD as been in existence and how well it is selling, why can't the holster makers make a holster for it? There are a few out there. The custom makers of course can always make something, but the run of the mill big name manufacturers don't have squat for Xd holsters unless you want a flimsy chunk of plastic.

·
Registered
1,260 Posts
Brasso said:
but the run of the mill big name manufacturers don't have squat for Xd holsters unless you want a flimsy chunk of plastic.
I'd certainly be interested to see what you consider to be run of the mill big name manufacturers. Bianchi, Galco, DeSantis, and Safariland each have multilple, non-plastic holsters available for the Springfield XD.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
No joke. Most of the ones I see are either plastic (which I refuse to use for duty use) or don't have retention. I'll check over those lists some more, but I need a good leather belt holster with retention for street wear.

·
Registered
245 Posts
Brasso said:
No joke. Most of the ones I see are either plastic (which I refuse to use for duty use) or don't have retention. I'll check over those lists some more, but I need a good leather belt holster with retention for street wear.
My holster would probably not do for duty because it is an open top holster (no thumb strap). I use it for CCW, so it works perfectly for my application.

This is link to the Don Hume site. Many of the holsters are leather. Some look like they might make good duty holsters. (The search is for XD40 - 4 inch). The beauty of Don Hume is that they are reasonably priced and decent quality at the same time.

http://www.donhume.com/Products/ProductsList.cfm?action=SearchByWeapon&WeaponID=243

-Mike

·
Registered
13 Posts
Brasso said:
+1 on the Don Hume suggestion. Very good holsters for the money.

The second link was to Safariland's site, http://www.holsters.com Being in the biz, I'm sure I don't have to tell you about safariland's reputation. There was also links there for Galco and Bianchi. The copsplus.com site had Bianchi and that froogle link was for some Galco product. All top drawer, LEO approved sort of stuff, I think you'd agree.

As far as the plastic stuff, I've had good success. Even though Fobus gets a bad rap from some folks around here, I think it's the best $17 holster I've ever bought, although my Don Hume IWB wasn't much more than that. Maybe my draw just happens to agree with the way it retains or it's my super-human strength, :D but I've never had a problem getting my XD to come out and play when called. But I digress, for certain applications there are some very good "tupperware" containers out there. Regular duty carry would not be one ofthose applications I'd use them for personally. Give Safariland, Galco, and Bianchi a look-see.

·
Registered
11,060 Posts
I have actually gone to a local custom leather shop in an effort to find what I want.

I'm looking for a decent crossdraw, but all I find sit way to high. I'm a shorter guy and when I sit down they all poke me in the ribs. And I HATE paying the restocking fee when I order over the internet.

I called Galco and asked about the "Cover Six" holster they have. They told me that the XD wasn't popular enough for them to justify making that holster for the XD. No kidding.

When the local guy gets the holster worked out for me I'll post some pics and let you know how it went.

·
Registered
2,078 Posts
www.blade-tech.com for Milspec Kydex holsters and accessories. They have contracts with several US Govt agencies, DOD and several foreign agencies. Best kydex on the planet.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I just found out that Bianchi now has the Carry-Lok for the XD series. Apparently it 's been out since June 30. I just oredered one from copquest.com. #14B. $51 plus shipping.

·
Registered
298 Posts
+1 on the Hume open top.

I've always carried IWB for CCW before this one. I have a OWB but its not designed for CCW. This holster is great. I was really surprised how well it flattened out the lines of the gun and hid under a t-shirt. And its much more comfortable than IWB. I bought it for IDPA and its become my every day carry holser.

·
Registered
31,246 Posts
El Paso Saddlery makes several holsters for the XD. Their #77 Tortilla and Street Combat are avaialble for the XD. All their stuff is made when you order it...nothing just sitting around on shelves, but both of these holsters can be had for about 50-60 bucks - thats in line with the mass-producers like Bianchi and Galco. They have several different styles and will make it custom if you instruct them to do so.

I own four EP Saddlery holsters for my Single Action Army, 1911, Hi-Power and 220 Sig and love them. They are VERY well made and VERY durable and comfortable. I will be ordering one for my XD-40 real soon.

Why order a holster from a mass-producer or maker in Idaho or Indiana, when you can have a custom made holster from a 100-year old company that is located in Texas and made holsters for General Patton and the Texas Rangers? Come on now...these are cowboys on the Rio Grande and they know what gunleather is supposed to look like, smell like and wear like iron - their shop is very old world and they make everything by hand and it shows. Its a piece of history that you'll be proud of, not the latest high tech whiz bang gadget.

Get the real thing...theres nothing else like it and its not like it is unaffordable.

(I don't work for them, just a longtime happy customer that won't buy gunleather anywhere else...theres no need to!)

-Brickboy240

1 - 20 of 28 Posts