Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Why are the Trijicon HD sights for Sig Sauer (SG101) recommended over the Trijicon HD sights (SP102) made specifically for the XDs?

I have carried a 3.3" in .45 ACP for several years with TruGlo TFO sights. The TFOs have been OK. No issues with the fiber optics; but I don't really like the length of the front sight.

I am picking up a Bi-Tone 4" in .45 ACP today and I'm considering TFX Pros or Trijicon HDs. I am leaning toward the HDs and wondering why I see recommendations for the Sig #8 HD sights when there is a specific version of HD sights for the XDs.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Why are the Trijicon HD sights for Sig Sauer (SG101) recommended over the Trijicon HD sights (SP102) made specifically for the XDs?

I have carried a 3.3" in .45 ACP for several years with TruGlo TFO sights. The TFOs have been OK. No issues with the fiber optics; but I don't really like the length of the front sight.

I am picking up a Bi-Tone 4" in .45 ACP today and I'm considering TFX Pros or Trijicon HDs. I am leaning toward the HDs and wondering why I see recommendations for the Sig #8 HD sights when there is a specific version of HD sights for the XDs.
Is it possible that the recommendations you read for the SIG HD sights are from older posts made before HDs were available specifically for the XDS?

I know that SA's Custom Shop installed the SIG version of the HDs on my XDS several years back. Unfortunately, I found that I shot low with those so I decided to go with something else. After doing some measurements, it appeared Ameriglo's Hackathorn sights would shoot where I wanted them to so I ordered a set. I did the installation myself and everything went well: my XD-S shoots to the sights at 10 yds. (POI right over the front sight). The front Ameriglo sight is very similar to the HD front sight.
Trijicon HD:

Ameriglo Hackathorn:

So, based on my experience, I'd look for posts that address how well the XDS specific HD sights work.

Regards,
Greg

BTW, I've been quite pleased with the Hack sights.
Regards,
Greg

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Greg for the info. I'll take another look at the Hackathorn sights.

I see that on James' website that he still recommends the Sigs. See the green arrows.

upload_2016-5-19_14-40-50.png

·
Registered
62 Posts
Thanks Greg for the info. I'll take another look at the Hackathorn sights.

I see that on James' website that he still recommends the Sigs. See the green arrows.

View attachment 53006
You're welcome :)
Thanks for posting James' photo. I see he is recommending the SIG style I had as for the 9 & 40 versions of the XDS.
I can't speak to that as my XDS is a 3.3 in .45ACP, but it does make sense that they may have a different POI on those versions.
Regards,
Greg

·
Premium Member
16,913 Posts
Never heard of this @ajamesp51 knows all about XD sights.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
You're welcome :)
Thanks for posting James' photo. I see he is recommending the SIG style I had as for the 9 & 40 versions of the XDS.
I can't speak to that as my XDS is a 3.3 in .45ACP, but it does make sense that they may have a different POI on those versions.
Regards,
Greg
I wasn't quite sure how to read the recommendation. Hopefully he'll pop in and clarify.

·
Registered
5,000 Posts
I believe he starting recommending them because they used the same "G" style dovetail sights.

·
Registered
62 Posts
I wasn't quite sure how to read the recommendation. Hopefully he'll pop in and clarify.
Well, I looked at that again and now I'm not sure if I'm reading it correctly:-? Still it makes sense to me regarding the 9 &40 thing, because they sure didn't work for me on a 45. He'll probably clear it up for us (he's quite on asset to have around).
Regards,
Greg

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I tried to start a conversation with James, but the conversation kept erring out stating that my message was SPAM. Any ideas on drawing his attention to this thread to get a definitive answer on the best sight?

·
Premium Member
16,913 Posts

·
Registered
9,957 Posts
They are the same thing......I have now opened hundreds of XDS specific sights and more than I can remember of the Sig versions and they are the same. There is a tolerance built into the sights so sometimes the Sig version will measure a couple thousands taller than an XDS version and vice versa. But Trijicon being the butt holes they charge more for the XDS versions. I tell people to save your money becuase just luck of the draw If you get the difference. And here is what really pisses me off. Trijicon claims that they had to invest tons of money in the new sights so thats what justifies the price right........

Go to Trijicon and look at all the measurements for the XDS, XD and Sig version. I already talked about the tolerances. But they did not develop a damn thing. All they did was combine a Sig rear with and XD front and for that they charge more. Both of those sights were in production for years and did not justify a price increase. You combine that with the tolerances and it really does not matter what version you get.

I carry both so if a customer wants the XDS and thats all they want.....thats what they get. But since the XDS has been out we have installed a **** ton of them on customer guns, So my recommendation is to save the money and go with the proven history.

·
Registered
9,957 Posts
Also as an earlier posted said even the SA Custom shop installed the Sig versions, what I think happened with him was they put on sig #6 #8 sights for a 45 and not the 9mm #8#8 sights that match the G sights that come on almost every XD. I have opened Trijicon sights and found the wrong thing in the package.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Also as an earlier posted said even the SA Custom shop installed the Sig versions, what I think happened with him was they put on sig #6 #8 sights for a 45 and not the 9mm #8#8 sights that match the G sights that come on almost every XD. I have opened Trijicon sights and found the wrong thing in the package.
Thanks for the info.

Seems like you are pretty down on Trijicon, with good reason.

What would you put on your own 4" XDs .45 ACP? Are the TFX Pros a good option? Like I mentioned before the length of the front sight is my biggest complaint about the TFOs I have on a couple guns. So if TfX Pros are a good option maybe I'll stick with them and darken the rears a little.
They are the same thing......I have now opened hundreds of XDS specific sights and more than I can remember of the Sig versions and they are the same. There is a tolerance built into the sights so sometimes the Sig version will measure a couple thousands taller than an XDS version and vice versa. But Trijicon being the butt holes they charge more for the XDS versions. I tell people to save your money becuase just luck of the draw If you get the difference. And here is what really pisses me off. Trijicon claims that they had to invest tons of money in the new sights so thats what justifies the price right........

Go to Trijicon and look at all the measurements for the XDS, XD and Sig version. I already talked about the tolerances. But they did not develop a damn thing. All they did was combine a Sig rear with and XD front and for that they charge more. Both of those sights were in production for years and did not justify a price increase. You combine that with the tolerances and it really does not matter what version you get.

I carry both so if a customer wants the XDS and thats all they want.....thats what they get. But since the XDS has been out we have installed a **** ton of them on customer guns, So my recommendation is to save the money and go with the proven history.

·
Registered
9,957 Posts
Thanks for the info.

Seems like you are pretty down on Trijicon, with good reason.

What would you put on your own 4" XDs .45 ACP? Are the TFX Pros a good option? Like I mentioned before the length of the front sight is my biggest complaint about the TFOs I have on a couple guns. So if TfX Pros are a good option maybe I'll stick with them and darken the rears a little.
On my personal carry guns I have the Truglo TFX, but what works for me might not be the best for you. There is nothing wrong with Trijicon they just do not treat the customers proper.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
On my personal carry guns I have the Truglo TFX, but what works for me might not be the best for you. There is nothing wrong with Trijicon they just do not treat the customers proper.
Thanks again for your opinion.

I'm still torn between the HDs and TFX Pros. I like a lot about the HDs, but it's hard to want to support a company who sticks it to the customer.

·
Registered
365 Posts
can I use the Sig # 8 rear a leave the original front sight on a XDs in .45 ACP ? thanks

·
Registered
2 Posts
ajamesp51..... I recently added to my Springfield collection and picked up both a MOD2 and an XDS in 9MM with 4" barrels. I was thinking of getting the TruGlo TFX sights for them (I have a bunch of Cabelas bucks to spend). My question is, should I get the XDS specific sights or the #8#8 Sig sights? The prices are the same but the SKU #s are different. Which will work best and which do you have on your EDC? Secondly, I have an XD9SC I would like to sell but need an inexpensive barrel for it before I let it go. Any members have one to sell? Thx

1 - 19 of 19 Posts