AK
heavy, not as accurate, mild recoil.
has more knock down power.

and much more

·
Registered
7,623 Posts
I say AK over AR actually....

I like the reliability of the AK and the bigger round. If i need to shoot someone at 600 yards I'll just use a Mosin:D

·
Registered
2,097 Posts
I have a Stag and a siaga. I like them both a lot, both are .223. I like the Ar because I can throw on a different upper and change the caliber, barrel length, and there seems to be a much wider variety of parts that i can pick up at cabelas or any of the local gun shops. The biggest downside is the price(i got mine for 750 so i really cant complain). The Saiga is just utterly reliable, that gun will eat anything i feed it, it has never had any type of failure, and does not need the maintance of the Ar. The saiga cost a lot less at 299 + tax. There are a lot of pros and ons to both of these guns. You will want both of them. I used to tell myself i never wanted an AR......then i read the forums here. G/L with whatever choice you make, i dont think you can go wrong either way.

·
Premium Member
2,737 Posts
I only have one rifle--and thought long and hard about exactly the decision you're facing.

I ended up w/ the AR15 (an M4, actually) for a few reasons. It's common around here, so parts aren't that hard to find. In a SHTF scenario, I want a weapon similar to what is common, not uncommon (AK's may be common elsewhere).

It's a reliable weapon--the old M16 problems in years past are largely history, as near as I can tell from what I've read online. Mine works.

Ammo is easier to find around here.

The AK is, IMO, the ultimate "Will work" weapon. Not as accurate, bigger round, but will work.

The AR is, IMO, likely to be more accurate. More precision with the AR, so I should be able to reach out and touch someone more effectively with the AR.

That's why I chose an AR over an AK.

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
Of you can do a hybrid. The AR platform is avilable in 7.62x39 and 7.62x51. I have 2 of the 308s and am quite happy with them. Maybe expand the searching a bit?However I do have 4 5.56 ARs a 9mm, and soon a 22lr upper.

·
Registered
623 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Chris, all the Saigas that I've seen are way more than $300. From what I've read they must have really increased in price over the last several months.

·
Premium Member
3,006 Posts
Because have you seen an AK with an ACOG infared laser, VFG, FFR, and any other tacticool stuff?

And the AR just looks better.

·
Banned
6,667 Posts
AK's will be laying around all over the place for the picking up, you just might have to pry the stiff fingers from them. :lol:

·
Banned
38,922 Posts
Because no one has said something as cool as this about an AR ... and they never will :mrgreen:
Yuri Orlov: Of all the weapons in the vast soviet arsenal, nothing was more profitable than Avtomat Kalashnikova model of 1947. More commonly known as the AK-47, or Kalashnikov. It's the world's most popular assault rifle. A weapon all fighters love. An elegantly simple 9 pound amalgamation of forged steel and plywood. It doesn't break, jam, or overheat. It'll shoot whether it's covered in mud or filled with sand. It's so easy, even a child can use it; and they do. The Soviets put the gun on a coin. Mozambique put it on their flag. Since the end of the Cold War, the Kalashnikov has become the Russian people's greatest export. After that comes vodka, caviar, and suicidal novelists. One thing is for sure, no one was lining up to buy their cars.
From the same movie ...
Jack Valentine: Do you know why I do what I do? I mean, there are more prestigeous assignments. Keeping track of nuclear arsenels - you'd thing that more critical to world security. But it's not. No, nine out of ten war victims today are killed with assault rifles and small arms - like yours. Those nuclear weapons sit in their silos. Your AK-47, that's the real weapon of mass destruction.

·
Premium Member
900 Posts
Why AR?? Because I was pinging 8" steel at 400 yards yesterday on my first time shooting it. Through peep sights.

·
Banned
38,922 Posts
Why AR?? Because I was pinging 8" steel at 400 yards yesterday on my first time shooting it. Through peep sights.
Put a windshield or door in the way :p

·
Registered
2,669 Posts
I have a AR lower... with 3 different uppers. 9mm, 223/5.56 (RRA) and a 6.5 grendel (AA). All uppers us the same lower. Each upper cost me no more then $825.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts