Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey i was wondering when I shoot my XD-40 I have a big kick like the gun wants to fly out of my hands. Is there any thing I can do to help it. I know If I can, my target shoot would be better. Thanks

·
Banned
1,546 Posts
blackxd40 said:
Hey i was wondering when I shoot my XD-40 I have a big kick like the gun wants to fly out of my hands. Is there any thing I can do to help it. I know If I can, my target shoot would be better. Thanks
the big kick is a result of pulling the trigger. :twisted: :D If recoil is a problem, I think you chose the wrong caliber of weapon. I prefer hand cannons over soft shooters.

Try gripping harder, use less hot ammo, guide rod, conversion barrel, etc

·
Premium Member
16,428 Posts
A good grip and stance will help you with your accuracy. Here is a link with some good tips on both. Go to Shooting Tips

http://www.mattburkett.com/

·
Premium Member
24,885 Posts
As the others have said, it looks like you need to keep working at it. All though the .40 is a little "snappy", it's not hard to control once you get the hang of it.

·
Registered
2,078 Posts
Jorday said:
change your grip, use two hands, work out, buy lower grain ammo, shoot, shoot, shoot, shoot, take a class...
Actualy buy higher grain ammo. The more energy it takes to push the bullet out, the less kick. Equal and opposite reaction. :)

·
Registered
96 Posts
Really? see ya learn something new every day.. I thought it was higher grain = more kick.. but then again I dont think the .40 has too bad of a recoil

·
Premium Member
5,751 Posts
Like manygunner said. And the firm grip, and lock your wrist and flex your elbows.
If you are new to handgun shooting, I highly recommend the Matt Burkett videos 1-3.

·
Registered
226 Posts
manygunner said:
Jorday said:
change your grip, use two hands, work out, buy lower grain ammo, shoot, shoot, shoot, shoot, take a class...
Actualy buy higher grain ammo. The more energy it takes to push the bullet out, the less kick. Equal and opposite reaction. :)
Mannygunner this is only my second post I dont want to flame but, the more energy that you have pushing the bullet the more energy that you will feel as kick . Just like the law of physics you stated for every action there is an equal and opposite reaction. The energy of the powder igniting pushes the case against the slide as hard as it pushes the bullet out of the barrel.

·
Registered
2,637 Posts
I would suggest that you find a good training class somewhere and take it. Or, find an experienced shooter who will take you to a range, evaluate your shooting skills, and offer some suggestions. This stuff is easier learned OJT (on the job training) with a live coach present as opposed to a book. A video is ok, and Burkett's are probably as good as any, but a live person watching you shoot is best.

·
Registered
56 Posts
just to be a nerdy stickler, the "force" of recoil will be the same for any weight bullet for a given loading. but since the heavier bullet takes a longer time to accelerate than a lighter bullet with the same powder loading, the force is spread out over a longer time and so it wouldnt be as much of a "kick" as a lower weight bullet.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Aside from the "take a class" and "use different ammo," there is also the option of buying a Don's Guide Rod and a heavier spring (say 22 lbs). This has definitely eased the kick of my XD9 and I'm sure it would have a similar effect in the .40.

·
Registered
31,246 Posts
Big kick? Is it a full sized XD-40?

Wow, I don't think mine kicks much at all and I am 5ft 9in and 165lbs - not a big guy at all.

...but then I do come from shooting 45s and a 44 magnum, so maybe it is all relative.

Maybe you ought to consider an XD Tactical in 9mm. I shot one of those and it was like shooting my Ruger MkII 22lr pistol - hardly any recoil at all.

-Brickboy240

·
Registered
40 Posts
poonstang90lx said:
manygunner said:
Jorday said:
Mannygunner this is only my second post I dont want to flame but, the more energy that you have pushing the bullet the more energy that you will feel as kick . Just like the law of physics you stated for every action there is an equal and opposite reaction. The energy of the powder igniting pushes the case against the slide as hard as it pushes the bullet out of the barrel.
Well kinda.....

Physics laws are never broken, but the is a big difference between energy and momentum.

Most of the "kick" you feel is do tot he momentum imparted on the gun via the departure of the bullet heading in the opposite direction.

Note: momentum is proportional to the mass x velocity
energy is proportional to the mass x velocity x velocity

So for the same energy rating, say a 45 and a .357 the .45 will experience a much higher felt "kick"

In addition the time the bullet spends in the barrel will contribute significantly to the type of "kick" experienced. For extremely fast bullets like a 9mm or .357 the kick is sharp but tends to not cause much deflection of aim, resulting in more ease at firing in rapid succession while remaining on target, with .45 the bullet is much slower and it more "pushes" on you. Often resulting in displacing your barrel from the target.

The .45 has a smoother recoil though and so its easy to get a (relatively) smooth rhythm going. Where w/ a 9mm and .357 you are just going full tilt. (granted a 9mm feels like a toy compared to a .357), and the .40 is somewhere between the extremes.

if you look at some of the new sintered mega high velocity bullets in .357 (especially) w/ like 60-75 grain bullets at greater than 2000fps the kick is comparable w/ a small 9mm, but it just destroys the target.

Likewise a GIGANTIC .50 or larger pistol caliber at subsonic speeds still feels like a mule kick.

Obviously if you have both a big bullet and high velocities you are asking for the best/worst of both worlds. .454 casull anybody???

·
Registered
373 Posts
I DONT KNOW WHAT STANCE YOU USE BUT I USE A MODAFIED WEAVER STANCE AND I LEAN WITH MY CHEST JUST SLIGHTLY OVER MY KNEES TO SUPPORT A LITTLE MORE BUT MY 40 DOESNT KICK LIKE YOUR SAYING AND TRY A DIFFERENT GRIP OR BETTER TYPE OF GRIP

·
Registered
471 Posts
Go out an shoot some full-power 10mm rounds. You won't ever complain about a 40 again.

However, in al honesty, just shoot more. You will get used to it. A 40 is very mild. For those that think a 357Mag doesn't kick, wanna come shooting with me? I will let you fire off some of my handloads. 158gr bullet at 1400ft/sec out of a 4 inch revolver. You feel those going off. Its NOTHING like a 9mm, or 40S&W.

-Dana

·
Registered
34 Posts
blackxd40 said:
I owned an XD9 and now an XD40 and I can't tell much difference in the recoil. I'm not sure how big you are or what stance you're using, but there is no reason your XD40 should "fly out of your hand".

Without more info, I don't think anyone can assist you.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts