Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Whose going to be the first to bevel the slide where the brass ejects.

The technical term escapes me now, but it is common on 1911's, but not the all of the "mil-specs". Even the G-guns are angled here to prevent the brass from hitting the slide where it ejects. I'm noticing some wear, but it is probably the heavier spring, and nothing a little perma blue won't take care of for a touch-up.

Seems like it would be pretty easy to accomplish with a dremel. Whose a brave enough soul to attempt this mod? Don't even ask me to be the guinea pig! :wink:

J

·
Registered
2,420 Posts
Lemme get this straight... you're getting some dings somewhere on the gun, so, to fix it, you grind it off with a dremel?

Wow.

:)

"Damn, these shoes give me blisters. Where's my chainsaw..."

·
Premium Member
16,428 Posts
Most race guns have the ejection port made wider. Can't remeber what it's called. I haven't noticed any wear on mine.

·
Registered
9,957 Posts
Lowered and flared....and the xd allready has it. If your brass is hitting your slide that much something else is wrong. Maybe an ejector thats too long or not long enough, recoils springs etc.

·
Banned
1,546 Posts
ajamesp51 said:
Lowered and flared....and the xd allready has it. If your brass is hitting your slide that much something else is wrong. Maybe an ejector thats too long or not long enough, recoils springs etc.

+1

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
[TASF said:
Overkill]Lemme get this straight... you're getting some dings somewhere on the gun, so, to fix it, you grind it off with a dremel?

Wow.

:)

"Damn, these shoes give me blisters. Where's my chainsaw..."
Hold on there... I'm not going to be the guinea pig! I'm not about to take a grinding wheel via dremel to my XD! That just seemed like the most practical fix for the DIY-garage gunsmiths like me. I am showing a little finish wear on the part of the slide that is square where the brass ejects - nothing serious by any means. When I noticed this I realized the XD did not have this feature that most "upper-class" guns have. I have Kimbers, Glocks, Springfields, and Rugers, but my favorite is my SAXD40. If I knew I was going to have to rely on a gun for my life - that's what I'd carry. I just like to keep her pretty. :D

Actually, I think in my case, the extra wear is from adding a heavier recoil spring. Prolly not even an issue with most. Of all the features of this fine piece of gun-art, I am just surprised that it lacks this one.

·
Registered
9,957 Posts
The xd already has a lowered and flared ejection port I think the wear is cuased by something else. Just like a glock the xd came fixed.

·
Registered
2,637 Posts
As long as my pistol is 100% functional, I don't care where the brass hits.
Are you having an actual problem, or are you just worried about the appearance?

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Snake-eater 1 said:
As long as my pistol is 100% functional, I don't care where the brass hits.
Are you having an actual problem, or are you just worried about the appearance?
I am not worried about the wear marks because that gives it character, and mine is 100% functional too. It just seems that would look cool and serve a purpose with the use of heavier springs, which is what think caused this on mine. Really, it's not a big deal to me. I just figured somebody may have flared their ejection port.

ajamesp51 said:
The xd already has a lowered and flared ejection port I think the wear is cuased by something else. Just like a glock the xd came fixed.
My ejection port is not flared, I have never seen one flared and the ones on SAs website are not flared. :? With that being said, James is a smarter fellow than me, so maybe I don't know for sure what flared means??? I'm thinking of the place where the brass ejects is beveled, i.e. flared like all Kimbers. Glocks are angled here, but not really flared. My XD is square. I believe the ejection port prolly is lowered.

·
Registered
9,957 Posts
Well how about this the xd is beveled and not rounded or flared but it basically the same thing. The reason they do this is to fix potentual problems with operation that the xd should not be having.

·
Registered
3,263 Posts
ajamesp51 said:
Just like a glock the xd came fixed.
damn, there goes my hopes of my tactical giving birth to a SC as it lies in the gunsafe next to the V10....

1 - 11 of 11 Posts