Springfield XD Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
18,867 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I've been refusing to buy one of the new DW revolvers until I can see an fondle it. One of my LGS's does a lot of CZ business and I had asked them to see if they could get one in for me and when I went in to shoot today they pulled it out from the back room and there it was. Serial number under 400, no "pre production" stuff, just brand new in it's really nice case.

So on to the gun. It's a beauty, very solid and the stainless had a really nice finish to it. The cylinder release is in the front of the cylinder, as all DW's are, and it was a bit balky at first but after a few dozen rounds it operated very smoothly. The DA trigger is very nice, probably a pound or 2 more than my SW PC revolvers but just as smooth with zero glitches or "bumps" as you pull it and just the slightest amount of stacking. The SA pull is perfect, 4 lbs and breaking glass.

Really outstanding case. Probably the best gun case I've ever gotten on a new gun.

I wasn't planning on buying a new gun so I didn't have any reloads with me and had to buy some PMC 38 sp ammo to shoot, and it's not the most accurate of loads. The target picture is about 3 cylinders worth of shooting before I'd cleaned the gun or adjusted the sights or anything else. Beautiful sights btw, very high quality. I didn't shoot very well today so combined with my off day and the factory ammo the results weren't too hot (even shooting my EAA Witness and HK45 I didn't shoot well and I always shoot those guns well). Bottom line, I don't doubt that if I'm having a typical day and shooting my loads I'm going to get very good results with this gun. I also need to get a full cleaning into it and readjust the barrel attachment and make sure all is snug.

As an old wheelie guy I'm just tickled to death to have the new DW revolver in my grubby mitts. As much as I love SW's and like the Ruger revolvers we need another good revolver on the market and this is it.

The gun ran me 1150, which may wind up being a high price in a year or 2 if prices keep falling. At the same time my buddy at the LGS said that DW is never going to run high volumes of this gun and he thinks the price will only go up when people realize the quality of the gun. Who knows. I do know that the gun seems worth every penny I paid for it and I'm really happy to finally have one.

The pics:

Attachments

·
Registered
18,867 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
That is d*mn sweet! Congrats Snap!

Now you can get that G20:p
You and Dev, a pair of troublemakers!

Next up, HK VP9.

But I think I may have to sell some guns I don't want to sell. The collection is getting a bit full.

·
Registered
22,575 Posts
Nice one, Snap. I have a model 15-2 from the late 70's and it's still going strong. Now go buy more barrels.

·
Registered
9,649 Posts
Nice find!!

·
Registered
18,867 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks guys, I'm really happy with this one. More barrels as soon as they come available.

·
Premium Member
127,996 Posts
Congratulations!

·
Registered
29,831 Posts
Congratulations!

You've been looking at those since they were announced--glad you found one!

·
Registered
19,923 Posts
You and Dev, a pair of troublemakers!

Next up, HK VP9.

But I think I may have to sell some guns I don't want to sell. The collection is getting a bit full.
Bah, selling guns kinda sucks.

You gonna fill the holes for the extra barrels in that case?

·
Registered
18,867 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks Cuda, nothing more exciting for an old revolver guy than getting a new wheelie

Yes Dev, when they get new barrels out I'm going to complete the collection.

Had the gun apart tonight and took out and reattached the barrel and made sure the gap was tight and everything fitting like it should, took off the side plate and lubed the internals, and painted the front sight (really struggle to see black sights). Can't wait to get out to the range with my loads and see what she can do.

·
Banned
2,879 Posts
Congrats, Snap! Thanks for the pics! I couldn't help but notice that the cylinder face is recessed to enclose the case-rims. I don't remember if that was the with the M15 I owned, so it does appear that CZ/DW are adding some nice touches. Impressive! ;)

·
Registered
3,851 Posts
Beautiful! Definitely wouldn't mind getting one if my lgs ever got them in. Regardless, nice find!

·
Registered
18,867 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I managed to get the gun completely cleaned and re-set the cylinder / barrel gap, then set the barrel nut with the proper torque. Then I took it out and shot a hundred of my reloads through it. To say the accuracy improved would be an understatement, the target picture is 6 shots at 25 feet. The DA pull measures just over 10 lbs and very smooth and short, while the SA is 3.5 lbs and perfectly clean and crisp.

Many years ago I shot center fire pistol at the old fish and game range in San Diego. I mostly shot my Gold Cup but also shot a SW 27 and even sometimes my Security Six, and I remember the guys who owned DW's showing up and setting their gaps and torqueing the barrels and then shooting lights out. I've wanted one ever since.

The next pic is of my WheelieHeaven. What's missing is obviously a Python, but since I don't want to pay a fortune for a used one then be afraid to damage the value by shooting it I'll have to wait for some idiot at Colt to figure out to reintroduce the darn thing.

So is the DW better than my performance center Smiths? No, but it may be more accurate. The N frame is, in my opinion, the perfect size for a revolver frame and the best frame SW ever made and both my PC's are N frames. The non fluted 44 is what I shoot in competition today and the 8 shot 357 is the gun I'd own if everything else got taken away. But the DW is, so far, everything I hoped it would be.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,851 Posts
I managed to get the gun completely cleaned and re-set the cylinder / barrel gap, then set the barrel nut with the proper torque. Then I took it out and shot a hundred of my reloads through it. To say the accuracy improved would be an understatement, the target picture is 6 shots at 25 feet. The DA pull measures just over 10 lbs and very smooth and short, while the SA is 3.5 lbs and perfectly clean and crisp.

Many years ago I shot center fire pistol at the old fish and game range in San Diego. I mostly shot my Gold Cup but also shot a SW 27 and even sometimes my Security Six, and I remember the guys who owned DW's showing up and setting their gaps and torqueing the barrels and then shooting lights out. I've wanted one ever since.

The next pic is of my WheelieHeaven. What's missing is obviously a Python, but since I don't want to pay a fortune for a used one then be afraid to damage the value by shooting it I'll have to wait for some idiot at Colt to figure out to reintroduce the darn thing.

So is the DW better than my performance center Smiths? No, but it may be more accurate. The N frame is, in my opinion, the perfect size for a revolver frame and the best frame SW ever made and both my PC's are N frames. The non fluted 44 is what I shoot in competition today and the 8 shot 357 is the gun I'd own if everything else got taken away. But the DW is, so far, everything I hoped it would be.
Glad you like the gun. It sounds like you have a keeper!!

There is a local guy that has 3 pythons for sale ranging from 2-3k with boxes and paperwork. Definitely not spending that kind of money, but doesn't mean I can't drool over the pictures right?

·
Registered
3,851 Posts

·
Registered
18,867 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Glad you like the gun. It sounds like you have a keeper!!

There is a local guy that has 3 pythons for sale ranging from 2-3k with boxes and paperwork. Definitely not spending that kind of money, but doesn't mean I can't drool over the pictures right?
One day someone at Colt will figure it out and re-introduce that gun. I won't spend the money required for a 6" stainless Python only to not shoot it. But they are gorgeous.

·
Registered
3,851 Posts
One day someone at Colt will figure it out and re-introduce that gun. I won't spend the money required for a 6" stainless Python only to not shoot it. But they are gorgeous.
I think it is prestige. As much as I would love a new one, I think it'd take away from the old one. A lot like Ferrari bringing back the f40. Either company would do a great job, but I like the rarity of the python. It adds to the appeal.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts