Springfield XD Forum banner
1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Administrator
17,192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I'm looking at 10mm. Probably a Witness, but Sig did announce a 220. But I never even thought about 45 super. It's said my HK can shoot it as is. So who has played with super? I'm curious.

·
Registered
29,864 Posts
I ran some through my USP a while back...it's snappy, but not uncontrollable.

·
Registered
10,949 Posts
If I want to shoot something with 600+ ft lbs of energy, I'll use my ruger.

Never mind, I still don't have it. :cry::cry::cry::cry:

·
Registered
293 Posts
I had to look up what the .45 Super is. Now I know it's for those the select few who think the .45 ACP is for sissy boys. Don't they have the .460 Rowland for these power-hungry folks?

·
Registered
29,864 Posts
I had to look up what the .45 Super is. Now I know it's for those the select few who think the .45 ACP is for sissy boys. Don't they have the .460 Rowland for these power-hungry folks?
Except you don't need a different barrel to run .45 Super.

·
Premium Member
4,971 Posts
Read an article on it. I really want to try it. Don't know if my R1 could handle the pressure.

·
Registered
3,284 Posts
I thought about getting some from Underwood for my Blackhawk convertible, but I never did. I don't think I would try it in my XDm. That's some pretty stout ammo.

·
Registered
19,923 Posts
Except you don't need a different barrel to run .45 Super.
In an HK45 or am XD45 anyway. Any other prodcution gun stands a good chance of case rupture which isn't a good thing.

1911s are out of the question with it unless you have a ramped barrel with good case head support.

It's kinda like firing hot 10mm in an old Delta Elite. You're gonna break something in a bad way most likely

·
Administrator
17,192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The pressure still isn't as high as modern stuff. What would a gun need to run it. I'm going to assume fully supported chamber and stronger recoil spring. Like I said, it's said HK USP/HK can run it out of the box... But I don't know where that comes from. In a USP/HK45 manual it lists +p+ and usually manufacturers will never list that. But +p+ isn't 45 super. It's not like I would be running 1000 of rounds.

·
Registered
10,949 Posts
The pressure still isn't as high as modern stuff. What would a gun need to run it. I'm going to assume fully supported chamber and stronger recoil spring. Like I said, it's said HK USP/HK can run it out of the box... But I don't know where that comes from. In a USP/HK45 manual it lists +p+ and usually manufacturers will never list that. But +p+ isn't 45 super. It's not like I would be running 1000 of rounds.
For a box or two, you probably don't need anything.

·
Registered
19,923 Posts
On an HK45 or XD45, people who do a lot might put a stronger recoil spring in it to slow the slide down a little but that's it.

A Glock 21 is a no no stock. But at the price of another barrel, that dude would get a .460 Rowland conversion.

Buy a box of super and drop it in your barrel to check case support. Should be fine on the HK though.

·
Registered
498 Posts
So I'm looking at 10mm. Probably a Witness, but Sig did announce a 220. But I never even thought about 45 super. It's said my HK can shoot it as is. So who has played with super? I'm curious.
I posted an in-depth review of my experience with my XDm and the .45 super load a year ago August. If you search the forums you will find it. I will see if I can post the link later on.

With right springs, it is totally doable. However, if It's any consolation, I will be buying a Glock 20 Gen 4 in the next few months.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk

Reactions: HB of CJ

·
Registered
6,167 Posts
Haven't had the opportunity to shoot anything that qualifies as Super yet. I'm not sure if I want to load regular 45 acp brass up that high even though I'm told it does fine, so long as you have a well supported chamber...

Gen4 G21 with LWD 5.2" threaded barrel and LWD compensator.

·
Registered
498 Posts
I thought .45 super brass has thicker case walls.

·
Registered
6,167 Posts
I thought .45 super brass has thicker case walls.
45 super brass is thicker around the web at the bottom. Externally it is the same dimensions as 45 acp. Since 45 super encompasses an area just above +p all the way to whatever you want 460 rowland to do, that will determine if you think you need the extra strength.

·
Administrator
17,192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I think I'm going to order a couple boxes from Buffalo Bore and give it a shot.

Question.... what about bullets? I'm assume Buffalo Bore 45 super JHP are designed to expand at those velocities. Meaning they are not just using off the shelf .45 ACP bullets and pushing them a ton faster right? The same question could be asked about 10mm too... 10mm bullets designed for those velocities and not just 40 s&W bullets.

My thinking is that I have a 45 now that can shoot Super. If I venture out in the woods I have something a little bigger. I still might get a 10mm for the same purpose, but not sure when.

·
Registered
29,864 Posts

Question.... what about bullets? I'm assume Buffalo Bore 45 super JHP are designed to expand at those velocities. Meaning they are not just using off the shelf .45 ACP bullets and pushing them a ton faster right? The same question could be asked about 10mm too... 10mm bullets designed for those velocities and not just 40 s&W bullets.

My thinking is that I have a 45 now that can shoot Super. If I venture out in the woods I have something a little bigger. I still might get a 10mm for the same purpose, but not sure when.
For the most part, the .45 Super bullets are the same as .45 ACP.

The problem is not failure to expand at the higher velocities--in fact, it's quite the opposite: overexpansion and fragmentation.

I'd just make sure the bullet they use is a controlled expansion--Hornady XTP, Barnes Tac-X, Nosler...

·
Registered
10,949 Posts

Carrying it in the woods for four legged defense, perhaps you might want something other than a HP. I know you guys have black bears (so do we, believe it or not).

·
Administrator
17,192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
For the most part, the .45 Super bullets are the same as .45 ACP.

The problem is not failure to expand at the higher velocities--in fact, it's quite the opposite: overexpansion and fragmentation.

I'd just make sure the bullet they use is a controlled expansion--Hornady XTP, Barnes Tac-X, Nosler...
Cool. They do have both. I wasn't sure what that meant. Thanks.

1 - 20 of 50 Posts