Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I was just looking for someone to tell me the pros/cons for the mag release extension on the xd pistol.

It worked well for me on my G23. Has anyone had success with an xd?

thanks

·
Registered
14,586 Posts
I have a couple from BarSto but now I just use my trigger finger as it gets my trigger finger away from the trigger at the best time.

·
Premium Member
3,565 Posts
One caution though. Some IWB holsters don't work well with the extension. I have Supertuck and the .2 always got hung on the leather when reholstering. The .1 extension is better but it's worn a groove in the leather and I have to use a finger to push the leather back when hostering.

Just something to consider if you have an IWB holster.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
PistolGear.com has a couple of pics that you can look at. I have zeroed in on the extension you can lean replace the existing factory one. It is longer on one side so you can choose which side to favor.

·
Premium Member
3,565 Posts
Does anyone have a pic of what they look like?
Here is the .1 extension installed extended side up. Not much to see visually with this one installed. This was originally a .2 but it was way too long for me so it was ground down to .1.

·
Registered
160 Posts
One caution though. Some IWB holsters don't work well with the extension. I have Supertuck and the .2 always got hung on the leather when reholstering. The .1 extension is better but it's worn a groove in the leather and I have to use a finger to push the leather back when hostering.

Just something to consider if you have an IWB holster.

I don't have the extended release, but I would not let the issue with IWB holsters sway you from your decision.

Unless the extension causes an ejection of the mag on draw, or something detrimental, I don't see a re-holstering snag as an issue.

I say this because if i clear leather, the last thing I am thinking is how the extension will snag on re-holster. My weapon would be drawn to protect myself and/or family and loved ones. I'm not concerned about a snag on re-holster.

·
Premium Member
3,565 Posts
I'm not concerned about a snag on re-holster.
It's not quite that cut and dry or at least not for me. The snag actually prevents the gun from going into the holster and repeated snagging slightly distorts the top of the leather exacerbating the situation. In one of my last classes I probably drew from the holster over 100 times and it was a royal pain after about 4 hours which is why I went from the .2 extension down the the .1.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts