Springfield XD Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have looked forever and can't seem to find what I should be looking for how much I should spend.

is there a magazine article, or online reference somewhere I can go to and find this out? :confused:

·
Premium Member
2,267 Posts
If this is for a rifle, someone posted on here that they like the Fenix TK10.

That is gonna be the next light I buy. Very resonable price for the features. Gives you two different brightness outputs.

Turbo Mode: Constant 225 Lumens, 1.5 hours
General Mode: Constant 60 Lumens, 10 hours

If it is for a pistol, check out Streamlight or Insight.

·
Registered
512 Posts
I'm interested on input on this myself. I'm looking at the Streamlight TLR-1 and the Insight M3. These seem to be pretty popular. Apparently SA offered one called the "XML" but from what I can find I guess it's discontinued.

I'd like to see pics of an XD9 Service with either of these on them.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I have both types.

Insight X2 / X2L Pros: Extremely light, very quick attach/detach, smallest purpose built weapons light on market; light is dim enough that night sights are still visible; Cons: Not as bright as TLR-1/2 or M3/M6 types

TLR-2 (types) Pros: Much brighter than Insights; Cons: heavier and bulkier than Insights, not as easy to detach; light is bright enough that any night sights are not really visible

I use a TLR-2 on my home defense gun (XD40 4"), as I prefer the laser for fear factor and the brighter light for clearing the house. I do not detach this light/laser so as to not lose the laser's zero. I use a X2 for my carry gun (XD9 SC), although I do not carry it attached (it interferes with the draw). It stays in my pocket, but can be easily attached/detached. It is also a handy light to have, and there is something to be said for not having to point your weapon at something you just want to illuminate - and not shoot.

Also, with the TLRs you can't really make out your night sights (trijicons, meprolights, etc). With the X2s you can.

They both have their uses. Just ask yourself what you want it for.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I'm looking at getting the Insight XTI Procyon. I'm a big fan of LED because of the increased reliability and battery life, those 3v 123 batteries are pricy. I have a surefire 6p for a hand/ pocket light, with the 125lumen bulb and it is definitely powerful enough to light up a dark room or blind dark adjusted vison. but at that output with the Xeon bulb the batteries last only about 30 minuts, and only abouyt 20 of really powerful light. Surefire makes great weapons lights, but they are much more expensive.

·
Registered
158 Posts
I have both types.

Insight X2 / X2L Pros: Extremely light, very quick attach/detach, smallest purpose built weapons light on market; light is dim enough that night sights are still visible; Cons: Not as bright as TLR-1/2 or M3/M6 types

TLR-2 (types) Pros: Much brighter than Insights; Cons: heavier and bulkier than Insights, not as easy to detach; light is bright enough that any night sights are not really visible

I use a TLR-2 on my home defense gun (XD40 4"), as I prefer the laser for fear factor and the brighter light for clearing the house. I do not detach this light/laser so as to not lose the laser's zero. I use a X2 for my carry gun (XD9 SC), although I do not carry it attached (it interferes with the draw). It stays in my pocket, but can be easily attached/detached. It is also a handy light to have, and there is something to be said for not having to point your weapon at something you just want to illuminate - and not shoot.

Also, with the TLRs you can't really make out your night sights (trijicons, meprolights, etc). With the X2s you can.

They both have their uses. Just ask yourself what you want it for.

You make the point a couple times that with the brighter lights you can't make out your night sights, and it appears you regard that as negative. I have the new Streamlight TLR-1, with the brighter LED, and don't have night sights on the gun that it's on. It seems to me, though, that if you can't make out your night sights, that you wouldn't need them anyway. If it is bright enough to drown out the night sights, it's bright enough to just use your sights normally. Am I missing something?

BTW, I put in a vote for the TLR-1. Nicely bright, grabs the rail on my XD very well, good runtime, and as well constructed as the the Surefire for about half the price. The new version has a brighter LED with the same runtime as the old on two CR123A batteries. My only complaint is that the light could have more flood with an orange peel reflector. People use these on everything from AR's to pistols, so they are designed with a compromise between throw and spill. For my uses, I would prefer it to be all flood, as I think most people with a dedicated pistol light would.

·
Premium Member
2,186 Posts
I have a TLR-1 and a Surfire X200. I used the X200 in Iraq and it worked great on my M9 with the Tick rail mount. I use the TLR-1 on my XD for home defense mainly because that's the light I bought with the gun, and it works so why replace it. The X200 won't go on anything but my 92FS now, mainly as a sort of collector/sentimental issue.

·
Registered
8 Posts
You make the point a couple times that with the brighter lights you can't make out your night sights, and it appears you regard that as negative. I have the new Streamlight TLR-1, with the brighter LED, and don't have night sights on the gun that it's on. It seems to me, though, that if you can't make out your night sights, that you wouldn't need them anyway. If it is bright enough to drown out the night sights, it's bright enough to just use your sights normally. Am I missing something
Comparing one to the other (I have night sights on both) I find it easier and faster to get the sights on target when I can see the night sights (dots) as opposed to just the slightly murky - due to the reduced lighting conditions - silhouette of the irons with the brighter light. Maybe it's just me, YMMV.

That does not, of course, negate the utility of the brighter light for me. I can still get the gun on target fairly quickly, and I like the fact that I can pretty much blind the BG with the brighter one... the X2 is pretty much just annoying, not blinding.

There's a reason the brighter light is on my HD gun.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Comparing one to the other (I have night sights on both) I find it easier and faster to get the sights on target when I can see the night sights (dots) as opposed to just the slightly murky - due to the reduced lighting conditions - silhouette of the irons with the brighter light. Maybe it's just me, YMMV.

That does not, of course, negate the utility of the brighter light for me. I can still get the gun on target fairly quickly, and I like the fact that I can pretty much blind the BG with the brighter one... the X2 is pretty much just annoying, not blinding.

Good points.

·
Registered
62 Posts

This information is helpful with a question I've been mulling over, "When would triticon/trijicon sights be better than the standard white dot sights?"

Please, correct me if my interpretations of your statement are incorrect:

Night sights allow quicker acquisition of target when ambient conditions are significantly dark. Would such conditions not hinder target confirmation i.e. good guy or bad guy?

I am not sure if you're saying that the silhouette of the iron sights against the image of the target produced by a bright tactical light is slower than night sights in dark or semi-dark conditions.

I imagine in a silhouetted condition iron sights would mimic sights without white dots in good light. If this is true, then good grip and pointing/aimming techniques would lead to quick accurate target acquisition at close range (inside a house). In fact, a laser might not be needed as well, if such is true, since the bad guy would be blinded, or at least disoriented, by the light and isn't going to see any red or green dot.

Forgive my ignorance on the subject. I hope to soon be an XD owner (late Christmas present) and am debating on whether or not to get an XD with standard sights in stock or to order one with night sights. In good lighting I find the circle within a circle effect of night sights a bit distracting and prefer the standard sights. I know I'm a newbie at home defense tactics, but I'm trying to get up to speed as quick as possible.

The main reason I'm purchasing an XD is for home defense, although target shooting and IPSC courses look fun as well as good for developing proficiancy. I realize quick acquistion of a target and placing shots in the center of mass is necessary to neutralize an adversary and reduce chances of injuring noncombatants. But, I will not shoot unless I have confirmed the target is a bad guy and not a member of my family. So I believe sufficient light for target confirmation is paramount. If that ammount of light negates or significantly decreases the effectiveness of night sights then I'll stick with standard sights and a good tactical light.

·
Registered
399 Posts
Nights are definately better than standard 3 dot sights. Especially if you can get them installed from the factory. It was a pain to install my night sights without a sight pusher.

I have a TLR2 and night sights on my DX45. Figured I'd have every option available to me and I"ll decide what I need depending on the situation.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I hope to add a little experience with lights to this thread. I have used many weapon lights and have found many to work very well and some to have serious problems. This dates back to the malfunctions that Glock experienced when they first went to light rails in the early/mid 90's, to AR-15/M16 weapon mounted lights, H&K weapon lights and various XD lights. I don't want to endorse any one product, because I am not a salesman, so I will try and give a little history....please bear with me.

I had purchased the Insight version of their M3 and M6 lights for my duty weapons. I had 20 other team members purchase M3 lights for their weapons as well. We all experienced light malfunctions with these lights due to what I consider to be a design flaw. The problem was this, if you look at how the rear plate is secured to the body of the light, it "snaps" into a slot. Now there are two springs inside that battery compartment that are pushing on the batteries to make contact and complete the circuit. Inside the back plate you will see one of those springs and a contact plate opposite the spring. The plate is slightly recessed in some cases. Well when you have batteries in the light, snap on the plate and look down at the seal from the top. You will see that the plate is trying to push away from the body due to the springs inside. If any dust, dirt, sand, lint or anything gets in there, it will break the contact and cause the plate not to touch the battery. Hence light will not work! Here's more, if you carry the gun in a holster, typically that mean the gun is held vertical, so is the light. Beleive it or not, over time the battery itself will compress the one spring that is inside the body and cause the battery to drop enough so no contact is made with the cover plate. This took months to happen but when it did it occurred accros the board for all my guys.

I like th other lights because the way the plate attaches to the body is by having some type of lever/spring "snap" over the top of the back plate, bringing the plate into the body of the light, not pushing it away from the body. The springs are stronger and no foriegn material gets into the battery compartment. We have been using new lights for two years and not one hiccup.

Just wanted to throw that out to the group based on the question that was originally posted.
Thanks
Semperlex

·
Registered
303 Posts
on flashlights and nightsights the trijicons are only visibly illiluminated in low light conditions other than that they use a white ring like traditional 3 dot sights around the tritium other night sights such as truglo or meprolight do not use the white ring so using trijicons if you blind them out using a flashlight then you would do the same with stock sights

·
Registered
10 Posts
I have an XML for my 3". It is cool, but requires a screwdriver to change the batteries. It also does not put out a monstrous amount of light, but it works with that little gun, so it is cool.

I also have an M3 by Streamlight. It puts out a ton of light and does not require any tools to change the batteries. I managed to break the bezel on it and Streamlight repaired it for free. That speaks volumes.

·
Premium Member
28,487 Posts
I love my TRL-1.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Another 1+ for the Insight XTI Procyon, I picked mine up for $115 shipped on Ebay. Great light for not that much $$$ with nice options.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts