Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Banned
2,879 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought 500 bullets (200 gr SWCs) from BulletWorks in Breckinridge, TX. They appear to be very well made and hardness is supposed to be 18-20 BHN. The problem is that they are sized .451" instead of .452" and I am concerned about the lack of obturation with bullets this hard at .45 ACP velocities which will probably be around 900 FPS when the load gets worked up. Starting out after working up from a min. charge I plan to use Fred's recommended load of 4.7 grains of WST, and I'm hoping they won't lead the bore at this level. 5.1 grains is the max. charge with the 200 gr. SWC and is rated 910 FPS @ 19,900 CUP. I may need to get to this level to ensure obturation.

I am also familiar with Missouri Bullet Co. They are very popular with reloaders at TheHighRoad.com. Last I heard a reloader measured his .45 bullets @ .4525" and that is more in line with what I was expecting. Their BHN is 18 also, so it's a pretty hard bullet. They also sell bullets at 12 BHN and I have thought about going that route with lower velocity/pressure. What I'd really like is a BHN at the old Lyman #2 level of 15 BHN.

Anyway, where do you all get your cast lead bullets and do you know what the BHN # is? I haven't loaded any of the BulletWorks 200 gr. .451 SWCs yet and I may be overly concerned about leading and lack of obturation. I have used LaserCast bullets in the past that have a very high BHN and I didn't experience leading issues but I can't remember what exact diameter was. ;)

And no, I haven't slugged the bore on my XDm yet.

·
Premium Member
1,795 Posts
I've run cast bullets from several places (Bayou Bullets, Missouri Bullets, Mid Atlantic, Friendswood Bullets, BBI, GAT Bullets) in both XD45's and 1911 with no issues with leading. I generally use 4.6 gr WST or 4.5 Solo 1000 loaded to 1,250. Both loads run about 730 fps or so. I think you will have no trouble with the Bulletworks. Guess you won't know for sure until you give them a try. Let us know how they work for you; always good to know another source for bullets.

·
Registered
12,197 Posts
Missouri Bullets is popular & affordable, I also like TwoAlpha. Always check shipping costs, that can kill the deal.
The BHN isn't as important as the fit. I have run really soft 9BHN thru several 45acps @ 900fps, they shoot fine, lead very little. Bullet fit is always more important. When in doubt about the bullet size, always go larger. The normal average is 0.001" larger than groove dia. So most 45acp shooters are shooting .0452" bullets. A hard bullet that is small will leoften lead more than a soft bullet of proper size.

·
Registered
259 Posts
I've also had good success with Oregon Trail bullets in .45 ACP and .40 S&W. Not the cheapest, but they shoot well. One of my friends says that their 230 gr RN bullet is one of the most consistently accurate bullets he uses in his .45s.

·
Banned
2,879 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
A hard bullet that is small will leoften lead more than a soft bullet of proper size.
That is the concern I have with these .451" bullets @ 18-20 BHN. I'd rather be using a softer bullet of proper size. Especially for the pressure/velocity that 4.7 grains of WST will generate.

ETexPops, I will report back after I have fired some of these BulletWorks bullets. They look very good outside of being .451". ;)

·
Registered
124 Posts
18-20 is way hard for the .45 but have you measured and made sure they really are .451 just because they are marked that way doesn't mean that's what size they really are. If leading occurs try going to a slower powder

·
Premium Member
2,737 Posts
Missouri Bullets. I've had great success with both their 9mm Smallball (though you have to shrink the OAL a bit as they have a fat Ogive and they won't chamber fully otherwise), and the IDP#4-XD 200gr for .45 ACP.

·
Registered
22,575 Posts
Since I haven't casted in years, I pick them up at the local GS. Made locally.

·
Banned
2,879 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
mongoose, it's not from Missouri Bullet, but I also use a 200 gr. RNFP that shoots very well in my XDm .45 ;)

My next bullet order will come from Missouri Bullet. ;)

·
Registered
12,197 Posts
bigboredad, .451" is the measured diameter.
Try them, it's the only way to know if they are going to shoot well w/o leading. No powder will get you obturation w/ a bullet that hard @ the lower 45acp pressures. They may shoot fine, but I would buy 0.452" next time.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts