Springfield XD Forum banner

What Caliber do you shoot out of your XD?

  • 9mm

  • 40 S&W

  • 45 GAP

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,746 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Which XD do you have? 9mm, 40 s&w or the 45 GAP?

I have the 45 GAP the ammo is expensive but i wouldnt want to be on the other end if you are trying to rob or hurt me! Im thinking about buying another XD in the 40S&W or 9mm for home protection and the "luxury" of shooting cheap ammo which would mean more trips to the range!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
539 Posts
Well i have .40 service model and i have loved it thus far. I have heard of some complaining of feed problems and what not with teh .40 but i haven't had any thus far. But if i were to get an sc to compliment my service, i'd probably get a 9 since it'd be a little easier to handle. So my suggestion then would be .40 if service, 9 if sc.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
173 Posts
blefferd said:
I have the 45 GAP the ammo is expensive but i wouldnt want to be on the other end if you are trying to rob or hurt me!
True, but I don't really want to be on the other end of the 9mm or .40 S&W for that matter. :D

I'm looking at a XDSC in 9 or 40. Was pretty certain on .40, but after talking to a couple local guys I think I've finally been convinced that the best calibur is the one I shoot best, rather than just "the bigger one" so I'm gonna try both out and see.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
539 Posts
AZRaptor said:
True, but I don't really want to be on the other end of the 9mm or .40 S&W for that matter. :D
lol... AMEN!

AZRaptor said:
I'm looking at a XDSC in 9 or 40. Was pretty certain on .40, but after talking to a couple local guys I think I've finally been convinced that the best calibur is the one I shoot best, rather than just "the bigger one" so I'm gonna try both out and see.
Don't you think that with practice, we can all get relatively proficient with either caliber? My vote for the 9 in a sc was because i think it'd be a quicker 2nd shot.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
173 Posts
Eric_Oh said:
Don't you think that with practice, we can all get relatively proficient with either caliber? My vote for the 9 in a sc was because i think it'd be a quicker 2nd shot.
Yeah, I was thinking the same thing. Didn't realize there was so much of a difference in flip between the 9 and 40, plus I have my Beretta in 9 so I thought, why not get something different. Still not sure. Decisions, decisions.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,078 Posts
I used to own both a XD9 Service and a XD40 Service. I now own only a XD9 Service as it was more reliable, more accurate and faster back on target. I prefer the XD9 Service so much that I got a second one. I think the 9 is under appreciated by a majority of people. It is not size but how you use it that matters.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
99 Posts
Where is the 357 SIG? I have the 357 SIG and really like it thus far. Only problem is getting ammo (buy it when you can). However, I have not seen a single box of 45 GAP ammo.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
123 Posts
It is not size but how you use it that matters.
:D

thats what we all say isn't it. LOL


seriously though, the 9mm is underated in my opinion. I have the 9 in service model and love it. only thing better would have been the .40 with a 9mm conversoin barrel.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
120 Posts
You forgot about the .357 sig round..
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
15 Posts
I went with the .40 and am seriously considering getting a conversion barrel in either 9mm or .357sig. I haven't decided which one yet.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,746 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
JackFrost said:
Where is the 357 SIG? I have the 357 SIG and really like it thus far. Only problem is getting ammo (buy it when you can). However, I have not seen a single box of 45 GAP ammo.
i knew i was forgetting a caliber lol, That is the worst thing about the GAP round its so hard to find and when you do find them they are usually a home/personal defense round for 25$ a box of 20. I usually buy mine from cheaper than dirt for aroun 13-14 bucks per 50 and i usually buy 250+ rounds at a time.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,746 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
manygunner said:
I used to own both a XD9 Service and a XD40 Service. I now own only a XD9 Service as it was more reliable, more accurate and faster back on target. I prefer the XD9 Service so much that I got a second one. I think the 9 is under appreciated by a majority of people. It is not size but how you use it that matters.
im starting to agree with you after reading the Box o Truth (sp) website it seems the 9mm almost always out performs the 45acp on those tests! i woud rather be standing behind a 45 than a 9 if a bad guy was coming after me it just looks like it would put a hole the size of a softball in him!! thats just my personal perfernce though! :)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
143 Posts
I have the .40 and love it. I don't find ammo that expensive though, the cost difference between the 9mm and .40 range is pretty small..
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
62 Posts
if you can only get one, get the .40 - it shoots great, gives you a bigger caliber if you ever feel you need it, and for $150 you can drop in a 9mm conversion barrel from EFK firedragon that shoots great as well (at least mine does with no adjustments; mine just dropped in). then you can occasionally practice with the more expensive .40 ammo, and the bulk of the time shoot the 9mm out of the conversion barrel. so 2 ammo choices for about $650.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,248 Posts
I went the 40 route with the intentions of getting a 9 conversion down the road. May wait until the 22 kit comes out to compare pricing, not really in any hurry. Shoot safe and shoot often!!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,551 Posts
I have an XD-9 subbie, and I love it. I like it due to the ammo costs (both for target and personal defense) and wide availability. Easy to shoot, not much "kick" at all, and easily concealed.

+1 on the Box 'O Truth regarding the 9mm. Of course, a well-placed shot (or 2 or 3...) with any of the XD calibers should stop a BG.
 
1 - 20 of 41 Posts
Top