Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Id like to find a pistol for general shooting and eventual CCW carry. What do you guys recommend? The service or the subcompact? I've heard both are able to be carried?

Do the .40 cal XDs have trouble with feeding all rounds? Through searches I have seen that most of the FTF were with .40 cal. Not just the XD though, any .40 cal gun. Is this a flaw in the .40 round?

http://www.xd-hs2000.com/longsliderelease.html

How about this? Does filing the slide release down or polishing the feed ramp seem to solve these problems?[/b]

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
I have the XD 9 and 40 SC. Both of them are perfectly reliable. I have had no problems with either whatsoever. I am 100% confident in either of these as a defensive weapon.

I would imagine that whatever fits you best for CCW is what you should purchase.
I am 5"9 and about 170lbs.
I can conceal the SC well but when I tried the service model it was a bit too big for me. Your results may be different than mine.

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
striker754 said:
Im not big by any means.

6' 1-2" and 170lbs

So I should probably steer towards the SC?
Either I'm fat or you're skinny. :D Maybe both!
Anyways...
I think you should go somewhere that you can handle and possibly shoot both guns. If you can't fire one you should at least take some time to see which one feels right in your hand.
If you can holster them and see how it feels on you then that would be even better.
Obviously the Service will be a tad more accurate and probably have a bit less muzzle flip than the SC. The SC is more concealable so that is why I went with them.
The SC's happen to be right for me but you need to go get them in your hands and spend a little bit of time with them to see what you like.

It is great to get other peoples opinions but at the end of the day you need to decide what is right for you.

I have no doubt that if you end up with a SC you will want these mag extensions. They make the gun feel much better in your hands as a whole. The difference is night and day. I have all six of my mags outfitted with them.
Here is the link to see what they look like.

http://www.pistol-gear.com/proddetail.php?prod=40PA&cat=8

http://www.xd-hs2000.com/pearce.html

You can get them @ Pistol Gear or from Ajames @ XD-HS2000

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
359 Posts
Based on the size of the service XD I've fiddled with, you'd need to have a bit of extra "flab" to overhang the frame (grip) of the gun if you've got it shoved in your pants on the hip or behind the hip.

In all honesty, though, I think the main problem with concealing the XD line well is it's girth. It is a really thick gun! Some people may be able to get away with it, I'm not one of them. My body allows my PPK to disappear in my pants, just slightly behind the hip. A quick drill with my wife's XD sub, eh, it is clearly visible, ah well.

I'm much more accurate with the PPK than any of my other guns anyways :)

-stunks

EDIT: wording... it's getting late

·
Registered
3,473 Posts
Are you in MI.? I have both and some holster's 6'3 165 I bought the service first but now that I have the sub it is my main carry piece :shock:
The accuracy Is really good with both and both are 40's and 100% reliable.I have cleaned up the feed ramps a little but the slide locks on both mine where OK :D

·
Registered
10,955 Posts
The sub will be easier to conceal, the hardest part of any gun to hide is the grip, not the barrel. That being so, I choose NOT to use a grip extension.

If your going to use it for target shooting mostly, get the service, with a good holster, you can conceal just about anything. Im 5'5 162 lbs. and I can conceal a Sig P229 under a T-shirt with a Texas Heritage Holster.
Good luck...

·
Registered
298 Posts
The SC with the pierce grip extension isn't too bad (at printing) its angled in such a way to minimize it. You could always get a service size and chop it to get the best of both worlds.

For a carry gun, theres more to it than being able to conceal it. Comfort should be the main issue. The barrel lenth does matter in a carry gun, every day tasks like sitting in a chair is easier with a shorter barrel. I had to carry my G17 (roughly the same size as a service) and when I'd sit down the muzzle of the gun would make contact with the chair and push the grip up into my side, no problem with the SC. Yes, I can conceal a service (I could probably conceal a 44 mag for that matter) but for a gun that I put on every day and wear all day, the SC wins.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well, I was at ace hardware and ventured over to the gun area. They had the service and the SC. I think I would want the SC for this application. Still can get a full length grip with the bigger 12rd mag for target shooting

·
Registered
30 Posts
I'm 6'1" 190 ans I usually carry a tactical everyday. To me its no different than carrying my full size 1911. I do use a Service for IWB when dressed up.

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
I agree. I LOVE my SC's. They are a perfect fit for me.

That is soooo cool that your hardware store sells guns! 8)

I wish I could get a can of paint and a pistol!!!

·
Registered
3,263 Posts
striker754 said:
Well, I was at ace hardware and ventured over to the gun area.
Oh how I miss those days. Back when you could go to the local hardware store. And on top of that, buy guns and ammo there. After all, it's merely another tool. I've noticed a noticeable lack of fireams and related paraphenalia at "Lowe's Depot".

·
Registered
3,473 Posts
DJDan said:
I agree. I LOVE my SC's. They are a perfect fit for me.

That is soooo cool that you hardware store sells guns! 8)

I wish I could get a can of paint and a pistol!!!
Thier is only one in my area that you can still buy bullets at :cry:

·
Registered
338 Posts
Boy wouldn't that make the hardware store much more fun to visit. Having done a stint in Home Depot during my gainful unemployment, I am jaded by going to Lowes/HD. If they had guns, I would be much more willing to visit.

·
Banned
5,098 Posts
I am 5' 9" 165lbs and I use XDSC in 9mm. It conceals well for me and I have no concerns about its reliability. I use the 10 round magazine with Pierce extension for carry. Again no issues. I have also used the 15 rd. It's a little more difficult to conceal; but I carry this often too.

·
Registered
647 Posts
u can conceal a large pistol with the right holster. I'm 6 1" 130 lbs and carry my 24/7 4" no problem. A jacket or sweater helps, but can be done with a long enough shirt to tuck in.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts