Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
374 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Big time newbie here, long story short I bought my first gun about 2.5 months ago and realize I didn't make a wise choice for my needs (Anyone have an idea how much I can get for a Taurus PT92 SS w/600rds use at my local gun show in Ohio?).

I'm pretty torn as to which XD I would like to get (course if I had the money I'd by them all). I'm thinking XD 9 or 40 tactical (5" barrel). The only thing holding me back from the XD9 is I hear the usual "But it's not a man stopper". And the thing holding me back from the XD40 is that the additional cost of ammo does build up over time.

What's the intended use? Odds are I'm not going to need to use it in self defense. I've never felt the need to have a gun at home but it won't hurt to have access to it should something ever happen. I'd really like something fun to shoot (comfortable grip, ammo that isn't big $$$ and something that I can be a little accurate with and compete with against another friend from time to time). Sounds like I've pretty much got myself talked into the XD9 but what do you folks think? Or maybe I'm trying to cover too many bases with one gun.

Also, what are the benefits of the tactical model compared to the service model?

·
Registered
411 Posts
I would say xd9 , ammo is cheap it won't cost you a arm and a leg to shoot.

·
Registered
1,092 Posts
Speaking as someone that researched along time and talked to many more experienced pistols shooters...I just bought and XD9...Ammo is cheaper about 20 cents per rounds vs. 90 cents for .45...for FMJ WWW or Remington UMC. Those I have spoken to said they shoot competition .45 they found they are quicker back on target with 9mm. As far as stopping power 9mm rounds are much better than they used to be especially if you load +P hollow points in for self defense rounds. 9mm is also easier for woman to shoot, no offense ladies, if your wife or girlsfriend needs to fire it in an emergency.
Where in Ohio are you?

·
Registered
374 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
As far as stopping power 9mm rounds are much better than they used to be especially if you load +P hollow points in for self defense rounds. 9mm is also easier for woman to shoot, no offense ladies, if your wife or girlsfriend needs to fire it in an emergency.
Where in Ohio are you?
Pardon my lack of knowledge, but aren't +P rounds only supposed to be used in certain guns? Is this a special kind of JHP or are most of them loaded as +P (all I know is +P is higher pressure, or more powder IIRC). I'm in western Ohio in Sidney which is about 35-40mins north of Dayton on I-75.

·
Registered
1,435 Posts
Go for the 9. You won't be disappointed.

As for the 9 not being "a manstopper" there are a lot of dead folks that would like to disagree. Also as a Vietnam Vet and former LEO (11 years) I can tell you for a fact that even a .45 will not always take a bad guy down. I can also tell you there are a lot of vets who can testify that not even a military rifle will necessarily take you down with one round, and that it is possible to keep fighting with multiple hole in you.

·
Premium Member
3,470 Posts
Nine!;)

·
Registered
1,092 Posts
+P rounds are not supposed to used in all guns...But the XD is a european design and many are alredy set to run +P Nato...I just posted this question on the board and the response was yes it's ok to run +P through an XD...That was from SA...I am going to confirm that with SA myself...I would howver only use +P as an SD load, not for practice or target work...shoot enough so you know it's reliable in the weapon but use standard pressure WWB or Remington UMC for practice 115 grain standard pressure. No sense in pushing the works to hard all the time not to mention the cost of +P ammo.

·
Registered
374 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
+P rounds are not supposed to used in all guns...But the XD is a european design and many are alredy set to run +P Nato...I just posted this question on the board and the response was yes it's ok to run +P through an XD...That was from SA...I am going to confirm that with SA myself...I would howver only use +P as an SD load, not for practice or target work...shoot enough so you know it's reliable in the weapon but use standard pressure WWB or Remington UMC for practice 115 grain standard pressure. No sense in pushing the works to hard all the time not to mention the cost of +P ammo.
Sweet, I think that helps seal the deal for the XD9. Makes sense that you could use it every now and then but not with regularity.

BTW, if anyone has any input as far as benefits of the tactical over the service model please chime in. Thanks for your answers. I really like this site.

·
Registered
6,645 Posts
Se2002 writes:
If the prospect of having your thumb hit by the bolt is unacceptable do not attempt to load your Garand.

The Army taught me how to load my Gerand and I never hit my thumb in three years. It's all in the style.

I use the .45 Compact for self defense and target and love it.

·
Premium Member
5,354 Posts
Get the 9. You will be able to practice more and become more proficient. Placement over caliber. I have two XD 9s and I wouldn't want to take a 124g+P JHP from either one of them.

·
Registered
1,092 Posts
If you are going to use it strictly at the range then get the tactical with 5" barrel..A little long for CCW...I have the service model and can carry that all day no problem and it will serve well for target and competions at least for now. Plan on IDPA and IPSC competion in the spring to get some action shooting/training with the XD and drawing to fire.

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
Welcome from Michigan. 1 of each.

·
Registered
2,669 Posts
Go with the 5" tactical.... better sight length and more accurate. Great for around the house... but if you are going to CCW the XD9SC or Service (4" bbl) is the other choice. I CCW the XD9SC.. conceals very well. Good luck picking one out.

·
Registered
2,432 Posts
Get the XD-9 you won't be sorry.I would not part with mine.

·
Premium Member
3,470 Posts
Se2002 writes:
If the prospect of having your thumb hit by the bolt is unacceptable do not attempt to load your Garand.

The Army taught me how to load my Gerand and I never hit my thumb in three years. It's all in the style.
Took that right out of the manual, just makes me laugh.

·
Registered
6,902 Posts
Welcome to the forum from Florida!

You can't go wrong with any XD. I have both the XD-45 and the XD-9 and really enjoy them.

·
Registered
7,827 Posts
Where you from?? Welcome to the forum! I chose the 40 service because I have big/ wide hands and like the grip/hand feel or the service!

·
Registered
559 Posts
Go with the XD9. I got the 4" so I could conceal it as well as use it for IPSC. Then I ended up getting the 40 sc for carry. the 4"/5" choice is just up to you. If you ever want to possible get a CCW, an can't afford to get a CCW gub, then go for the 4" as it's a bit more of an all arounder.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts