Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm making a deal with Bud's online to trade my rifle with them, and I have had my eyes set on an XDm 9mm. I've been offered $700, so that frees me up to get almost any XDm they have available, but I've got a question I think you guys may be able to help me with:

I'm a total novice, and this will be my first pistol ever, but I have shopped around for the last month and researched to decide to get an XD of some sort or another. I was intending to get a regular xd9 due to finances, but I'd always want the XDm too if I did settle on a standard xd, just because it's supposedly improved.

Since I have more than I thought I'd have to trade with, I started looking closer, and I may well be able to get the new 5.25" package for either an even trade or paying very little extra (haven't worked out the trade details just yet) and I don't know if I see a reason NOT to get that one, since I was already wanting an xdm 9mm anyhow, and this seems to be even better than the "standard" xdm.

So what my question boils down to is, is there any reason I SHOULDN'T go for the brand new 5.25 when I may well not have to pay more than the FFL fee? Should I get that or the 4.5" xdm 9 that I would have gotten before I realized I had more to work with in trade?

I don't know if people would advise against getting a competition gun for any reason, being a first time pistol owner and all, thinking maybe it's just "too advanced" for a newbie? I would figure, why not learn with the best, but I don't know much about it, which is why I'm asking you guys :)

·
Registered
431 Posts
From the looks of the new 5.25 and added features, I don't see how you could go wrong. Haven't seen it in person or shot one, but it looks like they did put some thought into it. I would get it!

·
Registered
1,226 Posts
It all depends on what you want to use the gun for. If you intend on carring it concealed the 5.25 would not be the XD I would recommend you get. If you want a range/competition gun that you are never going to try and conceal I would say, why not? If you want to try and conceal, but don't want too small of a gun I would go for the XD 4" or XDm 3.8".

·
Registered
142 Posts
I have not checked but have the holster makers offered a concealed holster for the new 5.25 yet? That would be the only problem I would foresee. The XD and XDm line are both fine choices. Enjoy your new weapon!

·
Premium Member
17,523 Posts
It all depends on what you want to use the gun for. If you intend on carring it concealed the 5.25 would not be the XD I would recommend you get. If you want a range/competition gun that you are never going to try and conceal I would say, why not? If you want to try and conceal, but don't want too small of a gun I would go for the XD 4" or XDm 3.8".
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
My thoughts exactly...;)

Welcome to the forum LumberGuy05..

·
Registered
109 Posts
being your first handgun, i would recommend the XDM 9mm and use the left over money for ammo. its a great all around gun, you could conceal it, its cheap to shoot, and i think a great base to compare other handguns down the road to.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
This is going to be primarily a "target" pistol I'd say, as I'll be shooting it as much as I can and it will be some time before I go to take a concealed carry class, as I want to know how to shoot well before I think of taking a gun with me anywhere besides a designated shooting area. That being said, I want it to fill the "home defense" roll as well if it is needed, and having pretty large hands, I like the feel of full size guns - held the xd9sc in the store and didn't like the feel of it at all in my hand, where the full size felt just right.

For me it's a tossup whether I get the 5.25 or the regular 4.5" xdm 9 because price-wise they will be similar, as I'll want to buy a 3rd magazine for the 4.5 if I get it (the 5.25 comes with a 3rd magazine for the time being) and the prices on Buds for the xdm 9 package look to be only about $50 cheaper than the 5.25.

·
Premium Member
17,523 Posts
Did you try an XD9sc with the finger extension?
It makes a big difference.

Just to let you know, I've had my CHL since the late 90s.
My carry pistol has changed 5 times since my initial carry pistol, the Glock 26.
I now carry an SA EMP, my house gun is a Glock 19.
I'd seriously consider the 4.5 XDm of the choices you've given.
Although bigger than I'd want to carry, it would be doable.
That 5.25 is too big to carry in our 106 degree heat.
It can be done, but there are better options IMHO.

Learn to shoot and get your CHL.
I've seen first time shooters pass the CHL class.
Scary, but true.:-|
Just because you have your CHL doesn't mean you must carry.
I had my CHL for over 3 years before I got serious with everyday carry.
Now I don't leave my home without at least my Ruger LCP.

·
Registered
7,507 Posts
If you will never CC the gun then get the largest one. It will have less felt recoil and the longer sight radius will make you more accurate shooting it.

·
Registered
120 Posts
If you will never CC the gun then get the largest one. It will have less felt recoil and the longer sight radius will make you more accurate shooting it.
this is my thouts exacly you dont want to be turned away from shooting hand guns just cuz your first one was to snapy and cant hit any thing

·
Registered
32 Posts
I agree with all the advice given here! Just gotta figure out what you want and for what uses. The 4" xd 9 is one of the best overall as far as size versus shootability. The sub-campact is smaller and easier to carry but harder to shoot as well. The 5 or 5.25's are easier to shoot more accurately, but bigger and heavier.

That's the deal, decide what you really want it for and make the decision by what best fits your needs. I am going to add an XDm 9 compact to my arsenal, as it is a little smaller than my XD 9mm 4", but only because I get really good deals from the factory. I know somebody!! They are very close in size and in 9mm the performance is similar.

Having said that, the XDm 5.25 is the most awesomest, coolest XDm ever! But it would be a pretty large piece to try and conceal. For everything else it would be great.

Rob

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I'm leaning toward the 5.25" (and actually that's what's reserved for me right now) - If I'm carrying a gun in the near future, I see it being in an underarm holster or something of the like, where I could hide it under a jacket if I really wanted to but no more "concealed" than that. I may decide later on when I have real money to spend that I need a CCW but until then I want a good gun to learn to shoot well on that feels good and fits my entire hand really well, which I think the full size pistols will do.

I'm really excited about getting it, but I'm going to have to wait a while til I can get my rifle up there and have them inspect it before they finalize everything and send a pistol my way.

·
Premium Member
17,523 Posts
I'm leaning toward the 5.25" (and actually that's what's reserved for me right now) - If I'm carrying a gun in the near future, I see it being in an underarm holster or something of the like, where I could hide it under a jacket if I really wanted to but no more "concealed" than that. I may decide later on when I have real money to spend that I need a CCW but until then I want a good gun to learn to shoot well on that feels good and fits my entire hand really well, which I think the full size pistols will do.

I'm really excited about getting it, but I'm going to have to wait a while til I can get my rifle up there and have them inspect it before they finalize everything and send a pistol my way.
You need to do more research.
Under arm as you call it, we call it a shoulder holster, is not going to work in 100 degree Texas heat.
You're not going to wear a jacket in the summer and a t-shirt isn't going to hide a shoulder holster.
Shoulder holsters are more of a novelty and TV/movie thing than a real life carry option.
I've been carrying in Texas since 1997.
I've owned a Miami Classic and used it a total of 8 times since then.
You need to reconsider your method of carry Bro.

If the gun you're looking for is just range and home defense, by all means get the 5.25.
If you intend to carry this purchase, look for something smaller.;)

Also keep in mind, you'll get more from the private sale of that rifle than you're going to get trading it in.

In Texas, resident to resident private sales are very simple..:cool:

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
You need to do more research.
Under arm as you call it, we call it a shoulder holster, is not going to work in 100 degree Texas heat.
You're not going to wear a jacket in the summer and a t-shirt isn't going to hide a shoulder holster.
Shoulder holsters are more of a novelty and TV/movie thing than a real life carry option.
I've been carrying in Texas since 1997.
I've owned a Miami Classic and used it a total of 8 times since then.
You need to reconsider your method of carry Bro.
I was just meaning that I basically Don't intend to carry it on my person very often in the first place, so I'm happy getting a large gun. More than likely it'll be carried in the paddle holster it comes with for quite a while til I can afford something better, but I'm fine with that. Thanks for the tip about the shoulder holster though - I always thought it looked cool (why I said something about it) but it makes sense that that is the exact reason why it's in movies and on tv even if it isn't as practical as it looks.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts