Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
324 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I read that in some drafts of HR 1022 (the new AWB the Dems have been trying to pass for years) that it no only bans the manufacture of AR-15 type rifles, but it bans the manufacture of replacement parts. This made me think it would be a good idea to have a small supply of the most likely to break parts. I saw that Bushmaster has a kit that has all the springs, pins and detents from the entire gun, plus a few other parts like the firing pin, disconnector and a few others. I thought this might be a good start, but I wanted to see what you guys think. What do you think would be good to have on hand... just in case?

·
Banned
6,667 Posts
good start with the field repair kit........add a supply of gas rings, a spare bolt or two, all the parts to rebuild the bolts, a spare LPK, a couple recoil springs/buffers....to make it simple, any part that will wear :lol:

·
Registered
324 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
good start with the field repair kit........add a supply of gas rings, a spare bolt or two, all the parts to rebuild the bolts, a spare LPK, a couple recoil springs/buffers....to make it simple, any part that will wear :lol:
Actually, the kit I'm looking at is much bigger than the Field Repair Kit. Go to...

Bushmaster Lower Receiver Parts

...and look for the one that says "Bushmaster Complete AR15 Spare Parts Kit w/ Rifle Buffer".

Oh.. and I already have a spare complete Bolt Carrier Group in the tool box. I had two until I sold one of them to you.

·
Premium Member
7,466 Posts
:shock: holy crap! Just buy an extra rifle bro! :shock:

·
Registered
324 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
:shock: holy crap! Just buy an extra rifle bro! :shock:
Oh... I got one of those too. :cool: Well... I will once the last few parts arrive to finish it.

·
Premium Member
1,335 Posts
i would just purchase a 2nd complete rifle as a spare.

·
Registered
324 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
i would just purchase a 2nd complete rifle as a spare.
See my post above yours... but I'm looking for enough parts to keep them both running. If the zombies come, I need to toss that spare to my wife to cover the back door while I cover the front.

Or on a more serious note, if the day comes that HR 1022 or something worse does pass, I want to have what I'd want to have if I could never buy anything else. I've got a decent little supply of mags and ammo is next on my list to build up my supply of, but I want to make sure that my grandfathered in guns can continue to run if they ever do become banned.

·
Premium Member
1,335 Posts
See my post above yours... but I'm looking for enough parts to keep them both running. If the zombies come, I need to toss that spare to my wife to cover the back door while I cover the front.

Or on a more serious note, if the day comes that HR 1022 or something worse does pass, I want to have what I'd want to have if I could never buy anything else. I've got a decent little supply of mags and ammo is next on my list to build up my supply of, but I want to make sure that my grandfathered in guns can continue to run if they ever do become banned.
you will never have enough ammo to survive a zombie invasion, and if zombies were the case, why not just look through peoples houses for more AR's? or shoot someone with an AR and use those part's?

if there is a ban on assault style rifle's, there will most likely be a ban on the ammo as well.

so to answer the question, i guess youll need to pickup one of those cheap $700 complete/build AR deals. aka a third rifle.

·
Registered
3,386 Posts
We already had an AWB and they did not ban the ammunition as far as I know ...

·
Registered
184 Posts
We already had an AWB and they did not ban the ammunition as far as I know ...
+1. I don't see a ban on the ammunition or parts, only the manufacturing of the guns. Plus, the AWB we had before explicitly defined what an assault weapon was, and there were/are ways around it.

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
Will there be another ban? Who knows over the last 4 years there have been many proposals all of which have been shot down. While any proposal is cause for concern but itscomforting to know the Dems dont have a majority in congreas Without a majority majority vote they will be hard pressed to get any type of all out ban through

Let's also not forget that there are several Dema up for reelection in the next few years and the rest of the repubs will be looking to take back control of congress so support of a AWB could be political suicide

·
Banned
38,922 Posts
Get an AK. Heck you can make most of the parts in a high school shop class.
Absolutely!!
If the AK breaks ... The AR broke a long time ago;) :p

I like both.

·
Registered
324 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
+1. I don't see a ban on the ammunition or parts, only the manufacturing of the guns. Plus, the AWB we had before explicitly defined what an assault weapon was, and there were/are ways around it.
Maybe you should read HR 1022 then.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Maybe you should read HR 1022 then.
I have and can't find any reference to ammunition. And as for parts, I was talking in regards to the OP's question on springs and such. I can't find any mention of banning parts like those either. I should have been more specific.
Please enlighten me if I have interpreted something wrong.

·
Registered
172 Posts
I looked at some of the rebuild kits how do you find what cross references to your brand. there are slight differences I suppose here and there so do you just buy one from Bushmaster or RRA???

·
Registered
324 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I have and can't find any reference to ammunition. And as for parts, I was talking in regards to the OP's question on springs and such. I can't find any mention of banning parts like those either. I should have been more specific.
Please enlighten me if I have interpreted something wrong.
First of all, I AM the OP. Second, there have been several variations of HR 1022 over the last couple of years. Some of them also banned replacement parts. I am not aware of an outright ammo ban being proposed yet, but I have heard of GIANT taxes on ammo that would price it out of most of our reach. My concern for now is if they ban replacement parts, having enough to keep the gun running for a lifetime without having to limit myself to a brief range trip once per year or something to limit wear and tear on the gun.

·
Registered
324 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I looked at some of the rebuild kits how do you find what cross references to your brand. there are slight differences I suppose here and there so do you just buy one from Bushmaster or RRA???
The wonderful thing about AR's is that they are so modular, and for the most part, parts should interchange between brands. The one notable exception would be the hammer and trigger pins on Colts are 0.170" instead of the standard 0.154".

·
Registered
324 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
After reading all the replies here and on other forums, here is what I came up with. Keep in mind, I already have one complete spare BCG and most of a Field Repair Kit minus a few parts I've had to use of the years. This is to support 2 AR's.

2x BCM Gas Key with Fasteners
2x BCM Receiver End Plate
2x BCM Receiver Extention Nut (Castle Nut)
2x Bushmaster The Lost Parts Kit for AR15 Type Rifle
1x Bushmaster Complete Spring Package, Telestock
1x Bushmaster Complete AR15/M16 Pin & Detent Package
2x Bushmaster Field Repair Kit
5x Adco Custom Real CRANE issue O-Ring
1x Rock River Lower Parts Kit
2x RRA Ejector (AR0041)
1x RRA Front sight post, square (AR0009)

Thanks for all the help guys.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts