Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know this may be like comparing apples to oranges, but I still would like some input.

I just finished building by CMMG lower a couple nights ago and am waiting to purchase my upper. In the meantime, I have been looking at moderately priced red-dot sights that might work for me. The 2 that have struck me the most and seem to have relatively good reviews are the S.P.O.T. Mark III and the Bushnell HOLOsight. I know that the styles are different (tube vs. "big screen") but I cant decide which one would suit me better. Or what about the new Vortex Strikefire compared to the S.P.O.T?

My AR isnt going to see combat and is most likely going to be a fun, range gun (unless someone breaks into my house of course :twisted:)

Any thoughts, advice, or experiences with either of these 2 would be great! I know there are much better sights out there (i.e. aimpoint and eotech) but those are out of the question at the moment.

·
Registered
2,243 Posts
do a search on youtube for EOTECH, and check out the videos showing it in action, i did.. now i want one lol. i had a cheap Truglow on mine, and found that if i am looking down a tube, i want magnification.

i checked out an Eotech at my local gun store, and yeah.. its real nice, and i could probably make due with a bushnell holosight myself.

cheers

·
Registered
671 Posts
do a search on youtube for EOTECH, and check out the videos showing it in action, i did.. now i want one lol. i had a cheap Truglow on mine, and found that if i am looking down a tube, i want magnification.

i checked out an Eotech at my local gun store, and yeah.. its real nice, and i could probably make due with a bushnell holosight myself.

cheers

after owning/using almost all of the available RDS options on the market. I found out that if i am going to COUNT on a battery driven sight, i want reliability and battery life. Eotech has neither. Aimpoint has both.

·
Registered
2,243 Posts
after owning/using almost all of the available RDS options on the market. I found out that if i am going to COUNT on a battery driven sight, i want reliability and battery life. Eotech has neither. Aimpoint has both.

interesting, havnt heard much about the battery life on the eotechs.. i'll keep that in mind, thanks for the heads up on that.

I do like the aimpoint too mind you... all this makes me want to go buy another EBR so i can have the option for either lol.

cheers

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
I know there are much better sights out there (i.e. aimpoint and eotech) but those are out of the question at the moment.
With this from the original post in mind, anyone have experience with the sights I mentioned? Part of the reason I posted this question is because most other threads that start off talking about any of the ones I mentioned deviate to ACOG, Aimpoint, and EOTECH rather quickly. As much as I am sure that they are good sights, I am saving my pennies for all these awesome tuition hikes that AZ has coming instead of putting the extra toward a super nice sight so my budget is a little limited.

·
Banned
6,667 Posts
S.P.O.T. Mark III and the Bushnell HOLOsight. I know that the styles are different (tube vs. "big screen") but I cant decide which one would suit me better.
And in reality neither can we ;) :p

Either would server your needs.

If you have a shop around that carries them, or the Aimpoint and EOtech, you can look thru both and decide which you like better.

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Well, after scouring what seemed to be every possible place to find info on these 2 sights, I decided on the SPOT Mark III sight and placed my order online from spotscope.com (free shipping and free extra battery promotion). Now, just to scrape together the rest of the cash and get my CMMG upper that is calling my name!!! :D

Also, I see in many threads that a new cantilever 30m mount or a high mount would be a good investment to replace the one that comes with the SPOT? A high mount would make an absolute co-witness with the front sight correct? Also, I see that the nicer mounts cost more than the SPOT sight does...where is the justification in spending that kind of $$? Do they really hold up that much better?

·
Registered
2,243 Posts
With this from the original post in mind, anyone have experience with the sights I mentioned? Part of the reason I posted this question is because most other threads that start off talking about any of the ones I mentioned deviate to ACOG, Aimpoint, and EOTECH rather quickly. As much as I am sure that they are good sights, I am saving my pennies for all these awesome tuition hikes that AZ has coming instead of putting the extra toward a super nice sight so my budget is a little limited.

sorry wasnt actually recommending the eotech for you, i just meant look at the videos of the eotech to see if you would prefer the holosight over a tubed non magnafied red dot.

from all i've read the SPOT is a great sight for the money you pay for it (or save purchasing it) and i doubt it would be hard for you to recop most of your cash if you buy it and decide you dont like it.

cheers

·
Banned
6,667 Posts
Also, I see in many threads that a new cantilever 30m mount or a high mount would be a good investment to replace the one that comes with the SPOT? A high mount would make an absolute co-witness with the front sight correct? Also, I see that the nicer mounts cost more than the SPOT sight does...where is the justification in spending that kind of $$? Do they really hold up that much better?
The cantilever that comes with the SPOT will be fine.

The cantilever mount will give you lower 1/3 co-witness when mounted to the flat top receiver. The dot will apper to be about 1/2" above your front sight post when looking thru the scope with you rear sight down.

Yes a good scope mount will cost about as much as the SPOT does.
The justification is a mount that when removed and placed back on the receiver in the same position will not lose your zero. And yes, they hold up that much better.

I ran my SPOT on the supplied cantilever for a few years.

·
Banned
6,667 Posts
1 - 11 of 11 Posts