Springfield XD Forum banner

Which side do you carry your gun on??

12K views 15 replies 16 participants last post by  ForGreatJustice 
#1 ·
I am right handed and I like to carry my holster on my right side, Just curious how everyone else carry's there holster. Right handed? Left handed? Which side?

Brian

#5 ·
That's the kind of question I asked when first starting to carry concealed over a year ago. After speaking with an instructor, I opted for strong side (right) at about 3 or 4 oclock, outside waist band.

Cross draw could give someone the ability to grab my arm as I was attempting to draw. However, ideally, my strong side will be kept away from the incoming problem. At least that's my goal.

#6 ·
Strong hand (right hand) at 3:30... That seems to work for me. If I were to carry a BUG I would probably wear it IWB cross draw at 9:45.

Raymond

#7 ·
I worked corporate security for a large corporation in Denver and carried my revolver (mid 80's) cross draw because we work blazers and carrying strong side it was tough to get a quick draw.
However, one day while working the guard gate, I was checking someone in and as I stood at the drivers side door, the lady asked me why I carried in such a manner...I told her, then she noted that she was some security professional and asked me if I ever thought of how easy it would have been for some bad guy to reach out, grab my pistol, that would already be pointed at my gut/chest and put a cap in me while I was occupied with writing his personal info on my handy-dandy clip board!

Well, I went right out after shift and picked up a new strong side holster for the days I was on the gate...then went to a shoulder rig to keep the revolver higher and tighter to my chest for shifts in building or elsewhere on property.

Today I carry strong side IWB or front right pocket.

#15 ·
Right side at around 3:30 to 4 o'clock in a FIST #19 Adjustable, or on my left inside ankle in a Galco Ankle Glove with calf strap when the heat is too much for me to conceal in a button up shirt, I don't like shorts.

When this shoulder rig comes in the mail i'll probably carry on my left with a loosely buttoned shirt unless it is too hot.

#16 ·
Nothing beats strong side for speed, and retention is as good or better than a shoulder holster. As mentioned above, on long trips, I will throw on the XD Gear holster canted for cross draw and put the gun in that. I prefer X-draw paddles to shoulders for car carry because of the ability to quickly get them on or off. If your BUG is in a shoulder holster though, that'd work too.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.