Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all. My 21st birthday is coming up and my father is going to get me a pistol for my birthday (great dad huh?). I have decided I want a SA XD in 9mm (cheap ammo costs), and now my only question is whether to get the 4" service or the 5" tactical. I am not going to be ccw it, this is will be my do all gun: target practice, a few competitions here and there, and other things like course shooting. I was thinking of the 5" for the better sight radius and more stability. I was just wondering what all of you thought, especially anybody who has the Tactical because at the gun shop we are getting it from they only have the 4" for me to handle and see how it feels, although I am sure the dealer would let me trade the tactical for a service, I would rather not have to do that. Thanks in advance to any and all responses.

·
Registered
580 Posts
congrats on having an awesome dad. :)

out of the two choices...4" or 5", considering the type of usage you described, i'd get the 5" model. i own a 4" model, for CC purposes. but why go small when you don't have to? you know?

i think voices on this forum more senior than mine will tell you that the inch or difference in barrel length is almost negligible on these guns.

so...regardless of what you ultimately choose...i know you'll like it. and if it grows on you, i'm sure you'll own one of each at some point. :-D

·
Registered
250 Posts
I'd second that! If all you're going to use it for is target and competitions, get the Tactical for sure...

I too have the Service model but I also use it as a CCW so the shorter barrel makes sense. But I'd love to have the Tactical for a target gun...

·
Registered
181 Posts
I have both a Tactical (XD40) and a Service (XD9). If I had it to do over I would have bought the Service in .40 because you can buy a drop in barrel and convert it to 9mm and then have both. If you are limited in funds and can't buy the gun and extra barrel (maybe your dad can buy the gun and you buy the barrel) I'd go with the 9mm then.

Which model would depend on what kind of competition. In practical competitions I'm not sure the extra sight radius would make too much difference. Just range plinking the extra barrel length would help. The longer tactical may be slower to draw from the holster.

Whatever you decide on I'm sure you will want the other later. Buying guns for many of us becomes addictive.

·
Registered
813 Posts
If you have the extra cash, get the .40 Tactical and then buy the EFK Dragonfire 9mm barrel. This way you have the option to shoot the .40 in competition if you want to as well as the 9mm for only 140 bucks more.

The 5" will fit your plans better due to the longer sight radius. The extra inch doesn't make a differnce with draw once you practice (don't forget that 1911's in competition are 5-6" as well)

·
Registered
1,684 Posts
I agree with most of the other fella's. I have a XD9 Service, which suits my needs just fine.. but for competitave shooting, I would think the 5" Tactical would be the better choice. In fact, although I am not a huge fan of ported weapons, you may want to look at the 5" Tactical with the ported barell... It makes more sense for you than it would most people using the pistol for CCW.

Raymond

·
Registered
285 Posts
I love my XD-9 Service. I wanted it for hom defense, target range, IPSC competitions and occasional CCW. I find it very well suited for all of these.

That said, if you are sure you will not be CCing it, I'd go with the Tactical (.40 or 9mm, your choice per the great advice above.) I doubt the 1" additional barrel length makes a bid difference but I'd take it anyway. The possible loss of a couple of hundredths of a second in draw speed is negligable.

You'll love whatever you get! :D

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks everyone for all the great responses. I am glad you all agree on the tactical because that is the one that I am leaning toward. About the barrel conversion: so if I get the .40 I can just buy the conversion barrel for 9mm and put that barrel in and be all set to shoot? Can I still use the .40 mags or should I pick up some 9mm mags? Also would there be any other issues I might run into with shooting a 9mm barrel in the .40 pistol?

·
Registered
181 Posts
In my opinion you should buy a couple of 9mm mags but there is a thread here somewhere that talks about modifying .40 mags so they will work with both. To avoid potential reliability problems (most people that have modigied their mags say there are no problems with them) I use 9mm mags in my XD40 Tactical with the conversion barrel, but I have a 9mm Service too so I already had the mags.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The conversion barrel idea sounds great but I was wondering if I even need to do it. I am not that interested in shooting .40 right now, and this is going to be a target/competition pistol so I want something that is inexpensive to shoot. Unless certain competitions require or prefer .40 it really doesn't seem like I have a need for a .40. I don't need the extra power for self-defense. I understand, and really appreciate, the two guns for the price of one plus only $150. If this was going to be a carry pistol I would most definitely buy a .40 with a 9mm conversion barrel, but if I know all I want is 9mm for target and competition, $150 buys a hell of a lot of cheap 9mm ammo.

·
Registered
181 Posts
If this is going to be a strictly competition gun then 9mm may be OK. There is no advantage to .40 over 9mm in IDPA the steel targets should be calibrated for 9mm. I believe IPSC (not sure since I never shot IPSC) has a power conversion scoring formula so the .40 would help there. I don't think you would be very competitive shooting bowling pins with a 9mm either. So it depends on which game your competing in.

·
Registered
293 Posts
Don't let anyone BS you about the 9mm not being capable of being a good self defense round. There are cemetaries filled with people killed by 9mm's.

If size didn't matter, I'd carry a .50 cal, but since that's not practical I carry a 9mm pistol every day and don't worry about whether it will stop a Bad Guy when needed.

Practise, practise, practise because a properly placed .22lr shot can stop a full grown man.

As far as shooting bowling pins with a 9mm go's, I do it once a month and knock them down as good as a .45 cal & I'm using WWB 115gr FMJ's.
As a matter of fact I beat every .40 cal equipped shooter in the pin match last month with my little bitty 9mm.
I just love the people who have no experience with a 9mm talking like they're experts.

·
Premium Member
24,885 Posts
I carry the 9mm. as a service weapon with no concerns.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Skygun9,

I'm glad you are happy with your 9mm, I also enjoy my 9mm alot too. You knock the pins off the table with your 9mm? We have had a few people try with 9mms without much success. It will knock them over but rarely clear them from the table, this is where the extra energy of the 230gr bullet comes into play. I'm impressed you beat all the other .40 competitors but as far as no one else having experience with a 9mm how do you know they don't? Do you know them personally? Do you know that they don't own a 9mm?

I don't think anyone is trying to BS him or berate the 9mm they were just suggesting that he might be able to own two different calibers for slightly more than the cost of one gun. There may have been a hint of suggestion in the posts that .40 was a better carry round in their opinion, nothing wrong with that. Some people just prefer to carry a .40 as a self defense round over a 9mm. Some may say that the .40 has more muzzle flip and it may take longer to get back on target for the second shot but for an experienced shooter who practices with the .40 round I doubt this will play too much of a role.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts