Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
362 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've just never had a huge urge to buy an AR, AK, or any other of those "types" of weapons. I thought they would be "fun" to have, but after shooting up quite a bit of ammo in the blink of an eye out of a HK91 almost 20 years ago, I changed my mind about ownership. Fun for a second, and then it was over, and my wallet empty.

A friend of mine had an AK. He was such a nut about shooting it, that it really turned me off on even hanging out with him while he had it.

I've shot M-14's in my military career. Fun, cool, qualified with it to stand watches, etc... but that was it.

Well... yesterday, the bug started nibbling on me. I was looking at handguns at Academy, and the saleman mentioned that he had some new Bushmasters in. I've never shot one, or even touched one. I don't know jack about them, and I'll freely admit that. My only urge to purchase was for the "cool" factor.... and I'm not so sure a 40 year old should be getting those urges so easily. :mrgreen: Ha!

But then the salesman started showing me others, and I started getting confused as to what, if anything, i should even consider buying. He had two Bushmasters - one that had a carrying handle on the top with the front sight up on a tall angled post - like most military weapons I've seen. Then he had a Bushmaster with no sights, but a built in scope mount rail looking thing on top - but much more "beefed up" looking than any scope mount I've ever had on any of my hunting rifles. Both of those were .223's. Then he handed me a M&P that looked similar. He said "AR-15" when he handed it to me though. Is that right? I believe that one said 5.56mm, but I'm not sure.... because then came out a Sig Sauer, then a Remington R-25 in .308, etc, etc, etc...

The Bushmasters were the cheapest price of any he showed me - just under $900. The prices soared from there.

So after the confusion, I walked out with....

None.

I'm too confused to buy one, and not sure if I even should. I'm thinking something in .223 would probably be less expensive to shoot than something in .308, but I don't know enough about either round to make that determination.

And then my friend mentioned "go with a FAL"... and another friend came back with "no, check out the.... (yada, yada, yada), and it went on and on.

So... help me justify, or not justify making the purchase please. The "fun at the range" factor is more appealing to me than just owning a safe queen should the SHTF one day... but I would want my "fun" firearm to also have that SHTF purpose as well.

If neither of these reasons is good enough, please just talk me out of it, and I'll waste my bonus check on something else... like tons of ammo or maybe a new XDm, or maybe a............ :rolleyes:

All the best,
Glenn

·
Registered
10,955 Posts
Get an AR while you can, when the AWB hits, you will have lost your chance. Bushmaster makes a fine rifle and yes, .223 is alot cheaper than a .308 and it will be an extremely accurate rifle.

·
Registered
87 Posts
I'm getting the itch too and have been looking at just purchasing the lower receiver (stripped) for now (no spare $) and build it as I get money. Assuming the AWB goes back into effect, will I still be able to buy the other parts to build my AR?

·
Registered
1,705 Posts
you should buy the bushmaster with your bonus check. since you mentioned wasting your check, just ship the bushmaster, along with as many mags and ammo as the rest of your check can buy, to me. i will waste it for you :) pm me for my address!

·
Registered
93 Posts
To me I based my decision on what I actually will use the gun for. I ended up getting mine with the longer heavier barrel and flat top to mount my scope since varmint hunting etc.. is what it's mostly used for. If you're thinking of home defense, a M4 type (collapsible stock) is probably better. Who knows, but I love my Bushmaster.

·
Registered
465 Posts
So when I first got into evil black rifles, I bought a bulgarian AK, a FAL, and a bushmaster. Sold them and bought others. 25 rifles and thousands of dollars later, I have 2 AKs, 2 ARs, and 2FALs. the wheels on the bus go around and around.

If I had a thousand dollars to spend I would buy a decent AK, a decent ar lower reciever, a fal lower receiver, and then focus on magazines. You can build of the AR and FAL later.

Advantages/Disadvantages:
AK 47:
reliable as the day is long
30 caliber round (capable of penetration...)
Mags are cheap,
parts are cheap
Ammunition is about the cheapest of the centerfire rifles.

Disadvantages:
Generally not as accurate as an AR
Ergonomics are difficult
Build quality varies hugely

AR:
Low Recoil
Ergonomically good
mags are cheap
parts are everywhere
Its the company gun and will be for a long time
accurate

Disadvantages:
DI gas system "****s where it eats" compromising reliability
223 is a marginal people round
good ammo is expensive

FAL
30 caliber
powerful main battle rifle
reliable
adjustable gas system
ergonomics are ok.

Cons:
Heavy
Big
Build quality varies
ammo is crazy expensive.

For a fun range gun that ou can shoot a lot, get good with, and can use to fight/hunt/practice, a good AK is hard to beat. My meet me at the bridge in ten minutes rifle is an AK. I can hit the 200 yard gong at the range with it all day long. Its accurate, tough, compact, and light.
reasonably accurae.

·
Premium Member
8,923 Posts
I too am looking at an AR and here is what I've found.

Get the flat top. You can put BUIS (back up iron sights) on it as well as a scope, or an A2 carry handle. You can put a scope on an A2 carry handle, but I don't like the look. I would advise having the capabilities of iron sights because they will NEVER fail, but scopes can. Also, keep in mind that some AR's will only shoot .223 while others will shoot .223 AND 5.56. Since your looking at more of a range gun, an AR-15 will be sufficient and you don't need a .308.

·
Registered
177 Posts
I have also been considering the same type of thing. I have come to the conclusion that a A3 flattop reciever with a standard front sight post/gas block, and a mid legnth gas system with a medium weight barrel with 6 position stock is good all around setup for me. I would like to get a 18" mid legnth barrel with 1:7 twist, but that is a harder to find option that drives the price up a little to much, will probably go with 16" 1:9 twist barrel instead.
To me this rifle is a good compromise because the mid gas system gives a longer sight radius on a short gun, and is said to be more reliable than the short carbine legnth gas system. 1:7 twist will stabalize heavy bullets better, but I don't know if I would take advantage of it that much in the shooting that I will do most of the time. Colapsable stock is handy to store, and adjustable for legnth of pull if other different size people will shoot the gun.
Flattop Reciever is just way more versitile than A2 fixed carry handle, you can change your setup to meet changing needs very easily and quickly.
For a good deal on a decent ar check out Del Ton. They sell kits and full rifles, mabey not top of the line, but decent quality with good customer service from what I have heard.
Was going to get an AK but with the prices going crazy at the moment, a kit from delton in the afore mentioned configuration would run about $450 and another $110-150 for a striped lower and you've got a good rifle, need to buy rear sight though. I would also go with M4 feed ramp upgrade for maximum reliability probably another $35 or so I think.
food for thought:D

·
Premium Member
9,204 Posts
AR opinions are about as diverse as who makes the best truck. All I can say is get out there and handle as many as you can and see what fits you best. Feel, looks, and pricing. For me it was a DPMS AP4 chambered in .308 If you have a rental range perhaps around your area I also suggest going out a dropping maybe a $100 or so on renting a few and plinking with them. Do as much as you can before you make the decision, because everyones gonna have a different opinion. So as for my opinion :) I say AR, just because I love mine. AK's just don't do it for me. Hopefully that helped some, or possibly just confused you more.

·
Registered
193 Posts
I like GlockConvert's reply the best, he gave you some pros and cons for each.

For me, if I was in your situation, my thought process would go like this.

Based on your "fun at the range" first priority I would go ahead and rule out the FAL. as previously stated the ammo is not cheap, nor are the magazines. Cool gun but unless you are a collector who wants one of everything, I see no point in the FAL for you.

Based on that, if I were you I'd try to fire a few AK's and a few AR's and see what you prefer. Ak's are cheaper (price wise) and one may find that all the different brands of manufacture of AR's and all the mods that can be done to them can be overwhelming or just not a can of worms worth opening or that may entice you more to the AR. Personally I really don't like AK's (for arbitrary personal reasons that have no relevance here) so I'm a AR guy, but you may end up thinking the AK is the perfect rifle. You'll just have to test drive them both to find out.

Hope this helps, but probably didn't. Good luck.

·
Premium Member
353 Posts
AR-10 owner here and the reason I went with the .308 is because in a SHTF scenario, this rifle will absolutely take down any game needed to feed my family. Of course I could have went with an AR-15 and then bought a separate deer rifle, but then I'd have two different guns and two types of ammo to buy. The AR-10 fits any need I would have for a rifle and I only have to stock up on one size magazine and one type of ammo.

·
Premium Member
876 Posts
There was a thread a while back on "why do I want an AR" and here is my reply to that:
zombies are the first priority.... But it took me quite a while to decided to buy an AR.... Finally, borrowed a buddies AR, and remembered how much fun they are to shoot.

Main Reasons I bought one:
1) Fun to Shoot...
2) Accurate enough for pest control
3) Fun of having something different: up to this point, all of the rifles have been dedicated hunting rifles....
4) For a centerfire, inexpensive to shoot while still being accurate. To me, the AK/SKS/?? just did not fill the bill.
5) For that 1 in a million chance that something happens and I have to defend the homestead, it uses the same ammo as the US Military and many parts are interchangeable.
6) Parts are interchangeable: allowing me to modify the weapon for a particular job: just like my Browning Citori: grab whatever gauge barrel set for the job.

Reasons not to get one:
1) The ammo gets expensive.....cost per shell is not bad, but with 30 rd magazines, you can go thru 500rds in a afternoon.
2) Can be habit forming....I am already looking at another one....
3) "modding" these out also can get expensive: I have spent as much in aftermarket accessories and ammunition as I did on the weapon.... First it was just a grip, then along came a Eotech, then more magazines, then a case, then a different sling, etc etc....

Hope this helps....:mrgreen:

Woof
Bowser
Still pretty much the same. I could not justify an AR for just a SHTF scenario, but they are just fun to shoot. And while ammunition has gone up, there is still enough 5.56 out there to shoot. After looking at many other weapons {AK,SKS, AR, M1}, the AR came out the best for me. I have a A3: then took off the site/handle and put on an EOTech Holo site. Plus my 11 year old can handle the AR where as he is not ready to try the 03 yet:mrgreen:.

Woof
Bowser

·
Premium Member
457 Posts
I shoot highpower and have long been very happy with Rock River. They are accurate and the two stage triggers are great. Probably not the least expensive option but ours have been around long enough to wear out the barrels. Of course, if I were shooting at 50 and 100 yards with them, I wouldn't have noticed that they were worn out!

·
Premium Member
1,611 Posts
Here's what I did some time ago,......

- Bushmaster XM15 chambered in 5.56 mm, so I can safely shoot .223 Rem & 5.56mm. I also bought a Ciener conversion kit, it's a blast to shoot .22 lr. A tad bit cheaper as well.

- Springfield Armory M1A SOCOM 16, for those times when .223/5.56mm is not enough. I have some mil surp ammo and some Match ammo. I also have an adjustable gas valve, allows me to safely shoot commercial ammo, below 180gr bullet weight.

- Springfield Armory M1 Garand, CMP issued Correct Grade. .30'06, same as above, just a little different. Have a bit of Greek mil surp ammo for Garanddad. As above I have an adjustable gas valve, allows me to safely shoot commercial ammo, below 180gr bullet weight.

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
simple answer ARs are like Lego and what boy doesn't like to play with legos

With all the different part you can change up your rifle as often as your wife wants to re do the living room (don't know about you guys but mywife has done it three. Tmes in the last 18 months) and probably spend less

With gun kote and all the different options in furniture, rails and optics you imagination and wallet are your only limits

·
Premium Member
7,466 Posts
Latelt I have seen 223 ammo cost as much as 308. Go big!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts