Springfield XD Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking to get my first 9mm autoloader to complement my Ruger Mark III .22 and it looks like the 9mm XD-9 is the finalist. My intended use for the XD will be a combination of home defense, range work, and possibly some competition work shortly down the road. I live in California and CCW is not in the cards. In a nutshell, I'm looking for something that can cover all the bases. I've been fortunate enough to rent and test the XD-9 service model at the local range and compare it to Glocks, Sigs, and Walthers, but I haven't had an opportunity to test the XD-9 tactical. Initially the competition was head-to-head with the Glock 17, but after shooting a couple of boxes of ammo, I was really impressed by the XD's comfort, accuracy, and reliability.

So based on my profile and your experiences, what are the pros and cons of getting an XD-9 service model versus a tactical?

Any thoughts, comments, feedback, ideas, or wisdom would be appreciated!

Thanks ahead of time.

·
Registered
359 Posts
If you aren' t going to carry it, get the tactical. The longer sight radius will "make" you a better shot, hopefully. Besides, the tactical just LOOKS cool. :)

You might even get a little more velocity out of whatever load you are shooting compared to the service (longer barrel), always a good thing.

Good luck on your decision. I'd be willing to think others on this board will feel the same way about the tactical.

-stunks

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah, other than the negligible price difference, right now I can't really think of any reasons why NOT to get the Tactical model.

What's interesting is that the XD-9's main Glock competitor, the G17, is only slightly longer in overall and barrel length. I didn't have any balance issues with the G17 at all.

My wife will also be using this gun once I begin taking her to the range, so I'm just wondering how well the XD Tactical model balances for beginning shooters.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
which one do you want?
Right now I really don't have a preference between the service and tactical.

That's why I'm consulting the XD Oracle of Experts! :D

My main question is pretty much what trade-offs--other than price--exist between the service and a tactical models.

Such a question would be primarily directed toward folks who have extensively shot both the service and tactical models, but there may be some people who only have one XD and use for similar purposes as I intend to do. Any regrets on getting a service or vice versa.

I've also read on this forum how some people didn't notice an appreciable improvement in accuracy when they shot the tactical model over the service.

Thanks again for the replies so far.

·
Premium Member
3,601 Posts
Accuracy is about the same and I don't see an edge going to the Tactical in this department. I like both of my XDs and although I really like my Tactical the best.......I say get the Service model. XD Perfection 8)

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
[/quote]Accuracy is about the same and I don't see an edge going to the Tactical in this department. I like both of my XDs and although I really like my Tactical the best.......I say get the Service model. XD Perfection
Now that's the kind of informative conviction I like to hear!

·
Registered
2,078 Posts
Don't get the tactical, stick with the service. I bought a Tactical earlier this year and then sold it shortly after to another member of this forum. The groups I got with the tactical were 1.5 as large as the groups I got with the service model. I am not sure but think it was teh lock up of the barrel that did this, too loose. It may have also been the recoil mechanics of the longer slide. Just did not work for me so I would say save the extra money and get a Service model, buy extra ammo to shoot.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Hmm... well, I was expecting a little more persuasion from the Tactical Mafia.

I just spoke with a guy I know who shoots a lot of IPSC matches and he claims that, in his opinion, it would be unwise to get the service XD-9 over the tactical because the longer barreled handguns tend to shoot much better than the shorter barreled models.

Now, if a smaller barrel length is not important to me, maybe I'd better go with the tactical model after all. But then some say that the tactical is LESS accurate than the service XD?

Now, this is really getting me all corn-fused! :shock:

This XD Service vs. Tactical race is a dead heat!

·
Registered
82 Posts
I have the Tactical in .40. It's very accurate and I couldn't be happier with it. Unfortunatly, I haven't any experience shooting the service to compare it to. So, I could be biased, :shock: but, for your intended use, I'd say you would be very happy with the tactical model. You really can't go wrong with a XD! :wink:

·
Registered
86 Posts
For all around use my vote would be the XD 9 Tactical. Its what I got and I really like it. Ammo is cheap so therefore you'll shoot it more. As I get older I find the longer sight radius a BIG plus for me. My L-10 gun for USPSA matches is a 6" longslide.

·
Registered
2,078 Posts
I will stick by my service. I can out shoot a tactical with it on anyday of the week. Better balance and less recoil induced time off target. I HAVE shot both and base my view on a fair and unbiased comparison of the shooting characteristics. I even had other shooters do sem shootign and the Service model came out on top with them too. Maybe I just have a super accurate service model, but the fact remains, it shot better then the Tactical.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts