• Trijicon

• Meprolight

• Ameriglo

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, it's time to outfit my baby and I want some data. Which night sight system do you prefer, and why?

Personally, figuring that most police officers (so I hear--don't kill me) wind up point shooting in a gunfight, civilian-me would probably end up doing the same so I want a sight system that makes sense given the realities of human response.

So whaddaya like?

·
Registered
889 Posts
I have Trijicons on both of my Kahrs, and my Glock, Novaks on my Springfield 45, and I went with the Dawsons on my XD Service, and will most likely go with TRUGLOs TFO on my XD Sub-Comp.
And why? The Kahrs came that way, the Glock got them because that's what they were installing at the Glock match, the 45 came with the Novaks, I wanted adjustable sights on my Service model, and I am going with the TFOs because a lot of people on the forum have recomended them.
That's just what I did.
As long as they glow, and don't fall off when you are shooting, they are all pretty good.

·
Registered
190 Posts
I have the 24/7 on two of my HS/XD 's and I love them. I voted 24/7 big dot, but would recommend the smaller standard dot. It allows for much more precise shot placement at extended distance (out to 15-20 yds) and is just as fast IMO. I really like how fast they are to pick up and how easy it is to align at night. Very good in all light conditions.

·
Registered
2,078 Posts
I noticed you do not have my favorite, PT Nightsights on your poll. I do use MeproLight, Trijicon and Ameriglo too. I just prefer the PT Night sights system with diffrent color dots and bars. It allows for faster and correct target acquisition in a dark environment. I find this good as under stress it is easy to get disoriented when all you have are tree dots, all the same green color, and try to arrange them in the proper order. Color lets you sort it out real fast.. Besides, it looks cool.

·
Registered
889 Posts
Judging buy the results so far, you would thing there isn't much diffrence in night sights :? , and that it might be more of a personal prefrence 8) .

·
Registered
9,947 Posts
You have to answer several questions to make an informed choice.

why do you want night sights? CCW, target etc

Cleaning habits? Ie do you use carb cleaner or dunk clean your pistols.

What type of site system do you like and are you open to change? 3 dots vs. two dots vs. lines with dots vs. a dot and rear line to make the letter "i"

Is cost a factor....dont be afraid to say you dont have money.

Something exotic like peep holes?

Do you need to have name brand?

A couple more questions I am just too tired to keep asking. Its a lot like buying shoes you have to talk to the sales man and let them know what you want or what your thought process is and then they can recomend the best fit or something that will work nicely.

·
Banned
3,861 Posts
troymez said:
I have the 24/7 on two of my HS/XD 's and I love them. I voted 24/7 big dot, but would recommend the smaller standard dot. It allows for much more precise shot placement at extended distance (out to 15-20 yds) and is just as fast IMO. I really like how fast they are to pick up and how easy it is to align at night. Very good in all light conditions.

I'm with troymez here. I really don't think that there are any sights out there that are any better for self defense ranges.

Day or night these sights come up quick, put that dot on target and squeeze.

My point shooting improved greatly when I put these sights on my HS2000.

bd

·
Registered
782 Posts
I bought the Mepros from James because they were a good price and had a good warranty. They are nice and glow well in the dark. I would recommend the green though, as I have the orange on the rear and it could be a bit brighter.

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Good thoughts--thanks all.

ajames--do you have the 24/7's or TFO's in stock? I think your site said your out of 'em. If I got impatient (and I am) could I buy 'em on ebay and have them sent to you, and send my slide in for a duracoat and sight install?

Even though they're extra money, I'm leaning toward the 24/7 system for all the reasons stated already. Just seems like it makes more sense for CCW (and my permit is coming soon). But money is an issue, which makes it not so easy. I'm also about to order a holster (still torn between CTAC and FIST K1). Decisions.....

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
manygunner said:
I noticed you do not have my favorite, PT Nightsights on your poll. I do use MeproLight, Trijicon and Ameriglo too. I just prefer the PT Night sights system with diffrent color dots and bars. It allows for faster and correct target acquisition in a dark environment. I find this good as under stress it is easy to get disoriented when all you have are tree dots, all the same green color, and try to arrange them in the proper order. Color lets you sort it out real fast.. Besides, it looks cool.
Sorry...I meant to have an "other" option. Thanks for the info!

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
robfogle said:
You forgot one the M6 Tactical Laser. There is just something about that little red dot that says it all...
They're cool to be sure, but no laser can replace proper sights...only supplement.

I did, however, forget the side-mounted homey nyte sytes from Birdman Weapon Systems. :lol:

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I suppose they would be "other" as they're different from Trijicon & Mepro...from what I understand they have no white outline (my wife's P232 has night sights, and there's no white outline. Really annoying if you ask me.

·
Registered
14 Posts
sjp2452 said:
robfogle said:
You forgot one the M6 Tactical Laser. There is just something about that little red dot that says it all...
They're cool to be sure, but no laser can replace proper sights...only supplement.
I didn't mean to imply that a laser sight was a replacement for proper sights. But isn't fiber optic and other glow in the dark sights also a supplement to the proper sights to help in sight alignment. The purpose of the laser sight is to aid in faster round placement under poor or low light conditions. It does this by giving you an external reference point that aids in weapon to target alignment. You don't have to split your attention between the weapon sights and acquiring and aiming at the target. With the little red dot you know where your weapon is pointed. But It like any other sighting system takes time and training to master. I'm not saying that that this is a say all do all, but like everything else it is a personal preference. The biggest draw back to laser sights is the cost.

·
Registered
3,473 Posts
manygunner said:
I have a couple set to sell you when I get then back :shock: Seems springfield broke the capsule installing 1 set and the other went out in a month :roll:

Now I have two sets of Tru-glows yellow green and green green I prefer the all green very bright day or night.No problems at all :D

1 - 17 of 17 Posts