Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,922 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, I see all of these different types of AK's out there, but I don't know what is a good kind. I pondered an AK awhile ago, but things have been sped up now. So, what is a good kind? I'm looking for something to plink and defend with. Romanian, yugo, etc.? How much should one cost. Any types to avoid? Is there a benefit of an SKS over AK? Like I said, really new to all of this as I have not invested a lot of research yet, but need to know what to look for. Thanks.

·
Premium Member
8,922 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
C'mon. You guys always have opinions! Let's hear 'em.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Check out some of the recent posts in the AK talk room. There has been quite a bit of discussion about this in the past 3-4 weeks.

I myself am new to AKs, so I don't feel educated enough to give you any help.

·
Banned
8,566 Posts
So, I see all of these different types of AK's out there, but I don't know what is a good kind. I pondered an AK awhile ago, but things have been sped up now. So, what is a good kind? I'm looking for something to plink and defend with. Romanian, yugo, etc.? How much should one cost. Any types to avoid? Is there a benefit of an SKS over AK? Like I said, really new to all of this as I have not invested a lot of research yet, but need to know what to look for. Thanks.
romanian is generally for all intensive purposes the low end unless "re-did" by a talent custom shop.

yugo is good but no chrome lining.

sks bennies are you can or could a few weeks ago get one for $179 here in detroit and anywhere there was a dunhams sporting goods store on a sale week.

$200-260 was common for yugos, they are milled not stamped.

you get a 10 rd sks versus all your mag choices on an ak.

skies the limit on ak and ak variants, you can get $375 wasr doublt stack up to a $1,500-2,000 galil

you can get milled aks but i dont think you can get one much below $1,000

if i was you and your in a hurry to get something in you hand post up some ideas of what you think you want then have the AK experts here tear it to pieces or give you a thumbs up.

be sure to atleast consider the saiga ak, which are new not rebuilds, not re parked rust buckets etc. They come in a sporter configuartion but you can get them sub $300 and mod to your liking.

i just ordered a $319 .223 from centerfire last friday, borat voice: I AM EXCITE! VERY NICE!

anyways i was considering some $700 plus arnsenals and said ... BAH! i can get into two saigas AKs for that price, then mod them out exactly the way i want at my leisure.

if you can find a $200 sks and havent decided you NEED absolutely cannot live with out 30+ rd mags and can live just fine with a 10 rd stripper clip that is the low price winner in my opinion.

sks is a hell'uva gun for $200.

heres what i bought
Saiga .223 Rifle with Thumbhole Stock

·
Registered
31,246 Posts
Seriosly?

...the one AK to buy these days is whatever you can find on the shelves!

Around here, they're getting very scarce and even mags are going up in price and not around in the numbers they were 4 months ago. The somewhat rough WASRs and Century throw-together around here start at 550 and go up from there. All of these were 400 dollar items 6 months ago.

Every surplus seller online and most on GunBroker are getting way up in prices and almost every dealer was back ordered for a long time.

I got sick of the turd hunt and the 600 dollar WASRs and junk and went to RPG Arms for one of their custom built AKM variants. I paid well under 600 bucks and got a VERY nicely custom built rifle on an Elk River receiver. They had tons of rifles left and were building more when I was in their shop last week. You might give RPG Arms in South Houston a call if you want something nice and...like me...are sick of overpriced and question able AKs.

- Brickboy240

1 - 5 of 5 Posts