Springfield XD Forum banner

21 - 40 of 72 Posts

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
Wouldn't it be nice if the OP came on board and joined the discussion he started?

Padraig
I've been noticing a few members who recently join, then post one off-the-wall question that has almost nothing to do with Springfield or XD's, usually typed badly, including words that.. just don't quite sound right. Almost as if English isn't their first language. Then they just disappear. I don't get it.

"1911 the best designed pistol which needs a lot of perseverance." Reads a lot like some Amazon product descriptions I've seen.

·
Registered
1,679 Posts
Wouldn't it be nice if the OP came on board and joined the discussion he started?

Padraig
He is a spammer promoting the dozens of web sites he has.
Having multiple accounts is supposed to be a no no.
He uses vpn's to get around it and since nobody watch's for that here he gets away with it.

·
Premium Member
951 Posts
Hard to go wrong with a 45. I do not want a 1911 in 10MM, the longer round makes for bigger grip frame. I would like a round developed after WWI, so the 40 S&W and 357 Sig are my 'wish I had' 1911 calibers. both are lighter, faster, flatter shooting rounds. Probably no difference in single stack capacity, but probably more than a 45 with a 2011 double stack.

I'll just have to stay with my excellent Ruger 5" and the one I love better, my RIA GI edition Officer's Model. It just shoots and carries better for me. Wish it were the Rock edition for the easier to use sights, but the GI sights do work.

Reactions: Padraig

·
Super Moderator
16,615 Posts
I was looking for the nightmare fastback carry model but they had sold it before I got there. So I ended up with the Emperor Scorpion Carry in. 45 I also added a set of VZ grips View attachment 820251
That's really sweet. I typically go with black as well... But that's nice.

Reactions: Snaphook

·
Registered
31 Posts
I was looking for the nightmare fastback carry model but they had sold it before I got there. So I ended up with the Emperor Scorpion Carry in. 45 I also added a set of VZ grips View attachment 820251
I have a Sig Nightmare Fastback in 45acp, a DW Guardian in 9 mm and a DW Valor in 45acp. I’ve been told by the “true” 1911 fans that I only have one real 1911. 1911’s don’t have external extractors nor do they come in any caliber other than the one that John Browning (peace be upon him) intended. They are not real sure about the Valor. It really should have a pony on the grip. Lmfao

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
16,615 Posts
Hard to go wrong with a 45. I do not want a 1911 in 10MM, the longer round makes for bigger grip frame. I would like a round developed after WWI, so the 40 S&W and 357 Sig are my 'wish I had' 1911 calibers. both are lighter, faster, flatter shooting rounds. Probably no difference in single stack capacity, but probably more than a 45 with a 2011 double stack.

I'll just have to stay with my excellent Ruger 5" and the one I love better, my RIA GI edition Officer's Model. It just shoots and carries better for me. Wish it were the Rock edition for the easier to use sights, but the GI sights do work.
10mm isn't longer that 45. You need large frame... Or normal 1911... For 10mm. It goes good with a 1911. And just shooting FBI load... any shelf 10mm... is shooting 40 S&W. Just spreading some love for 10mm...YMMV

·
Super Moderator
16,615 Posts
I have a Sig Nightmare Fastback in 45acp, a DW Guardian in 9 mm and a DW Valor in 45acp. I’ve been told by the “true” 1911 fans that I only have one real 1911. 1911’s don’t have external extractors nor do they come in any caliber other than the one that John Browning (peace be upon him) intended. They are not real sure about the Valor. It really should have a pony on the grip. Lmfao

Ha... I have a WC X9, and a STI 2011.... In (gasp) 10mm. I don't have any 1911s. 😊

I had a DW V-bob in 45. I sort of regret selling it... But I sold it to my best friend so it's not really gone. 😉

Reactions: Cuda66

·
Registered
44 Posts
I've got a 1911 in 10mm and I absolutely love it. Single stack all steel gun with a full length guide rod makes for a great shooting 10mm. I also have a XDM OSP 10mm which I like, but they are two very different things. Double stack polymer gun with a red dot vs a single stack SA only all steel 1911. As far as what caliber should your 1911 be, Meh 🤷‍♂️. What ever you want. I didn't get my 1911 to carry or for the night stand. Just simply historic design that's a good looking gun thats fun to shoot. 40, 45 or 10mm are all good choices IMO. For 9mm id probably opt for a 2011 over a 1911.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Howdy, from Texas.

10mm is the best caliber for the 1911.

Well, not actually. I think the 1911 platform cannot handle full power 10mm as standard fare. I broke the lower bbl lug on mine with this spicy diet.

So IMO, any if these are fine.
9mm , .45 ACP , .40 S&W

·
Super Moderator
16,615 Posts
Howdy, from Texas.

10mm is the best caliber for the 1911.

Well, not actually. I think the 1911 platform cannot handle full power 10mm as standard fare. I broke the lower bbl lug on mine with this spicy diet.

So IMO, any if these are fine.

View attachment 820809
Then you need a stronger recoil spring. Any gun can beat itself to death with soft springs. Springs have to match the cartridge. Of course that means harder to hand cycle, but that's the trade off. Mouse guns have so little distance to absorb the energy they need stronger springs... And many don't care for pocket autos for that reason.

Reactions: Cuda66

·
Registered
18,869 Posts

As a guy who’s owned lots of 1911’s there’s nothing wrong with the Sig version and an external extractor. I’ve owned several and they all performed very well.

That Dan Wesson however is an outstanding 1911 in all respects. As good a gun as those costing thousands more. I’ve owned 5-6 DW’s and still own 2 Valors.

·
Registered
44 Posts
I changed the recoil spring in my XDM 10mm the first week I got it. Stock guns are typically setup to cycle lower power range ammo. Which is fine cause thats what most people shoot in them 99% of the time. If you are going to shoot full power loads all the time in a particular gun it probably needs a heavier weight spring. Springs are pretty cheap. Really easy to test a couple different spring weights out and see how the gun does. Especially on non captured guide rods.

·
Super Moderator
16,615 Posts
As a guy who’s owned lots of 1911’s there’s nothing wrong with the Sig version and an external extractor. I’ve owned several and they all performed very well.

That Dan Wesson however is an outstanding 1911 in all respects. As good a gun as those costing thousands more. I’ve owned 5-6 DW’s and still own 2 Valors.
Dude... Other than purists complaining... What is the deal with external extractors? Internals need tuning? What's so special about internal ones, and what's so horrible about externals...

·
Registered
18,869 Posts
Dude... Other than purists complaining... What is the deal with external extractors? Internals need tuning? What's so special about internal ones, and what's so horrible about externals...
On balance the external is a better design, it’s a purist thing. I get it and I’d say Sig’s and S&W’s with the external extractors are very good 1911’s.

Reactions: Powerman

·
Registered
65 Posts
Self defense? .45
Bear hunting? 10mm
Plinking? 9mm
No to the .40 in anything but a plastic fantastic. Same for the .357 Sig.

21 - 40 of 72 Posts