Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 20 of 72 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
1911 the best designed pistol which needs a lot of perseverance. But when it comes to calibers there are lot of options available like 9mm , .45 ACP , .40 S&W etc. which is the best caliber to chose for any kind of purpose and what are the best Gun customization options available to make it look vibrant.

·
Registered
1,676 Posts
OP, hope you're really interested and not just another one of those guys who joins, posts once or twice on a subject that gets people to arguing a bit and never visits the forum again.

Having said all that, I too think the .45 acp is THE cartridge for a 1911.

The frame isn't made right to really get a decent number of 9MM or .40 S&W rounds into a magazine. Lots of 9/.40 pistols out there that will work great for that and shoot just as good as a nice 1911. I know a lot of people say nothing beats a 1911 trigger. I've got a couple CZ SAO pistols in .40 that will raise your eyebrows when the hammer falls before you thought you'd pulled it hard enough/far enough.

10MM? Not sure, again, that the frame is really right for that cartridge (same OD as the .40, but longer). Other pistols out there that will be very similar in size/weight and carry more rounds in the magazine. I don't own a 10. Got enough .45's.

·
Premium Member
127,706 Posts
"which needs a lot of perseverance" What does that phrase even mean? I don't understand what you are saying.

·
Registered
772 Posts
45acp is IMO the best if you want a self defense pistol. It is a big round that hits hard, penetrates well and leaves a large wound channel even if it does not expand. However modern ammo does very well at penetration and expansion which makes it even better. If you want it for game playing or plinking... choose whatever rings your bell or one of each.

Padraig

·
Registered
18,869 Posts
.45, no question. Although 9mm 1911's are a lot of fun to shoot so you should have one of them too.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Both of my 1911s are in 45. They are both top notch shooters and performers...

Bayou52

·
Registered
9,887 Posts
.45ACP.
9mm 1911s are fun but fall into the "range toy" category, IMO.

1 - 20 of 72 Posts