Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
What are you going to hunt?

I’ve killed more deer with a .223/5.56 than everything else I’ve ever used put together.

I wouldn’t use a .22 Mag for deer hunting...

·
Registered
143 Posts
I wouldn't use 22 mag for deer hunting. No good far as large wound channel and might lead to lost deer that suffers. There great for varmint and squirrel hunting though.

·
Registered
29,575 Posts
Depends on what you’re hunting.

Deer? Check your state laws; .223 may be deer legal, but I’d be very surprised if .22WMR is...and if it is, you’d better be able to place it with absolutely surgical precision. If you can’t hit a quarter under field shooting conditions at the maximum range you expect to take shots at...don’t use it.

However, for small game—rabbits, squirrels, etc? .22WMR, particularly if you want to eat it.

Coyotes..depends on what range you plan on taking shots. .22WMR will work out to about 200 yards, if you know what you’re doing...further than that, you’ll want a centerfire.

By the bye: while both rifles may be .22 caliber...there is a world of difference between a 2500fps 36gr .22WMR and a 3000fps 55gr .223. You may want to acquaint yourself with a bit more ballistics knowledge...

·
Registered
1,579 Posts
Never used a .22 magnum rifle. Did have a couple Ruger Singles Sixes with .22 magnum cylinders over the years. I just shot .22 LR ammo in them.

If you can hit what you're aiming at a .22 LR is all the squirrel/rabbit/groundhog ammo you need.

If you want to hunt with a .22 magnum you will probably find a nice bolt action is way more accurate than a lever action. I've heard of accurate lever actions, just never shot one yet, rimfire or center fire.

A good/accurate .223 will be more accurate than many/most .22 magnums but you've got to take into account how much farther the bullet will go when it either goes through the small game (head shots only if you want meat to eat) or misses all together. Not that a .22 magnum won't go along ways, but nothing like a .223 (due to both bullet velocity and ballistic coefficient).

Ammo cost? .223 ammo can be pretty cheap. And, you can reload it.

·
Registered
1,669 Posts
There is no quantifying “fun factor.” What is fun for you may not be fun for me, etc.

If you just want to have fun, pick the gun you like better.

if you’re comparing platforms, the AR-15 will have a better ammo selection and the capability to reload cartridges tailored to your needs. Unless you are a unique soul who reloads WMR, you have to buy (rather expensive) factory rounds.

The AR will be quicker in follow up shots for the average shooter.

I don’t own either, but if I had a choice it would be the AR.

Reactions: Rick McC.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

I’ve killed more deer with a .223/5.56 than everything else I’ve ever used put together.

Now if we go into logistics both .223 and 22mag can both have the same power. Only the lever action has the bullet go out slower

Now if we get into logistics both 223 and 22 mag are basicly the same thing. Like the 7.62x39 and the 308. The difference is how the platform works and operates

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Never used a .22 magnum rifle. Did have a couple Ruger Singles Sixes with .22 magnum cylinders over the years. I just shot .22 LR ammo in them.

If you can hit what you're aiming at a .22 LR is all the squirrel/rabbit/groundhog ammo you need.

If you want to hunt with a .22 magnum you will probably find a nice bolt action is way more accurate than a lever action. I've heard of accurate lever actions, just never shot one yet, rimfire or center fire.

A good/accurate .223 will be more accurate than many/most .22 magnums but you've got to take into account how much farther the bullet will go when it either goes through the small game (head shots only if you want meat to eat) or misses all together. Not that a .22 magnum won't go along ways, but nothing like a .223 (due to both bullet velocity and ballistic coefficient).

Ammo cost? .223 ammo can be pretty cheap. And, you can reload it.
One thing. Lever actions are fun to shoot. Like ur opinion about ar platforms. On here i dont judge

·
Registered
18,668 Posts
Now if we go into logistics both .223 and 22mag can both have the same power. Only the lever action has the bullet go out slower

Now if we get into logistics both 223 and 22 mag are basicly the same thing. Like the 7.62x39 and the 308. The difference is how the platform works and operates
Logistics?

·
Registered
29,575 Posts

You’re wrong, pretty much across the board.

.223 and .22 mag do NOT have the same power, at all. That bullet moving slower out of the levergun means it had a lot less energy (energy being bullet mass x velocity squared).

Same thing as 7.63x39 and .308–except the .308 has not a heavier AND faster bullet.

Not that I think any of this matters, as it's fairly obvious that you likely can’t own firearms anyway.

·
Registered
59 Posts

Ballistically, they’re not even close.

·
Registered
427 Posts
They are NOT the same, not even close. The only resemblance is the diameter of the bullet. As almost everyone else has said, depends on what you’re going to hunt. .223 is marginal on deer, the .22 Mag is not suitable at all. Listen to these guys, they are trying to help you.

Reactions: Jonnyuma

·
Registered
9,513 Posts
These look different to me...
download.jpeg-1.jpg

Reactions: Doons and Rick McC.

·
Registered
9,513 Posts

·
Registered
18,668 Posts
Yes logistics. Or logic. Like I said .22 mag and .223 are the same thing. Though with the armalight rifle platform or the ar platform the 223 has more velocity on projectile rate
That was like a week ago kiddie.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts