Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
1,354 Posts
Well...without a doubt it would be any option BUT a gluck, so by default, my answer is the XD45c. Also, since you listed two glucks chambered in .40, you may also want to look at an XD40c.

In all sincerity, the best all-around pistol is the pistol that fits you and your needs the best. You'll get all kinds of varying responses, but none of them mean anything because the people giving the responses aren't you.

What do you want the pistol for (target, CCW, comps, etc.)? Do you want a .45acp or a .40S&W? I would suggest you checking out a local gun store and handling each of the pistols you mentioned before making any decision. While somewhat similar, each will have a different feel and what may be great for me or someone else, may not be so much for you.

·
Registered
1,108 Posts
For an "all around" gun, I would immediatly forget the two subcompacts you have listed. They are great for concealed carry, but thats about it. They arent the most fun to shoot and are certainly not target pistols.

As far as a glock 23 vs a xd45c, thats up to the shooter. Personally I would choose an xd, but there are certainly a ton of people that would go with the glock. Its up to you.

·
Registered
1,173 Posts
Preferance.
It's comparing Ford to Chevy.
That said, The G23 is best!!!;)
The G27 is a sub-compact = XDsc not XDc.
I prefer the glock but I like the XD line as well.
Honestly, you can't go wrong with either.

·
Premium Member
2,497 Posts
Sig 220, 226, 225

·
Registered
2,097 Posts
Of the ones you listed I'd choose the XD.

·
Premium Member
7,466 Posts
You should find a range that rents them and then choose.

I have a G30 and XD45C. I like the G30 better since it fits me better. I shoot the G30 better than I do my G21 for whatever reason.

UB

·
Premium Member
3,470 Posts
Best all-round to me would have to be a 4" medium framed revolver in .357Mag.

-Simple to use
-Plenty of ammo choices, feeds snake shot reliably and .38
-Great for almost anything, even medium game in a pinch
-Up to 8 round capacity
-Very reliable
-Saves your brass for you
-No magazine to worry about
-Plenty of aftermarket support
-Ban proof (right?)
-No plastic!:wink:

·
Banned
8,566 Posts
xd 45 compact.

xd with the grip safety for the win.

xd is as reliable or 99.9 % (thats for the glock fan boys to not get upset) i really dig the grip safety thats a great feature.

·
Registered
2,757 Posts
xd 45 compact.

xd with the grip safety for the win.

xd is as reliable or 99.9 % (thats for the glock fan boys to not get upset) i really dig the grip safety thats a great feature.
I finally got rid of my Glock - after 12 years - and I am so very happy. No plans to get another in any cal. I do like my XDs - they are what Glock should be. If XD had come out in .45 ACP 20 years ago, no one would carry Glocks today.

Chapie+

·
Registered
1,108 Posts
I finally got rid of my Glock - after 12 years - and I am so very happy. No plans to get another in any cal. I do like my XDs - they are what Glock should be. If XD had come out in .45 ACP 20 years ago, no one would carry Glocks today.

Chapie+
+1

But try an get a glock fanboy to even consider that idea

·
Registered
54 Posts
There are fanatics about guns just like there are fanatics about everything else.

The very best gun ever made in the whole world is:

the one you have with you when you need it.

Chapie+
Truedat. +1

I found myself in this same situation a few weeks ago when I was picking up my very first firearm. My checklist was formidable. Even though I've had my eye on the XD line for a few years there were other contenders. It's ALL about specific needs and what suits you best. For me, since this was my first and possibly only pistol, it needed to do a LOT right. I only ever wanted to purchase a .45 or .40 as I think they're both fantastic rounds. My preference is for the .40, but I won't go into that debate.

I considered the following:

-HK USP (#1)
-XD .45 compact (#2)
-Glock 19 (#3)
-Any good 1911, even a Taurus (#4)
-Sig 229 (#5)

First on my list is reliability and all meet that requirement, even the Taurus. Second is capacity, and that's a BIG one for me. When it hits the fan, I want all of the opportunity possible to hit my target. The gun needs to be safe (subjective), preferably light for carry and most certainly comfortable to shoot and accurate in my hands. Last on my list was a weapon for concealed carry, but I came to the conclusion that everything else trumps that. If I want a pistol for CC, I'll buy one specifically for that. To me, that's a different ball game.

I landed on the XD(M). I made up my mind that it was going to be between the USP and the XD, but when the XDM came out I got a great deal at a show and it's everything I wanted plus more. .40 is my round of choice and the thing holds 16 rounds. Balanced properly, and fits like a glove. I shoot very well with it, although not as well as with a 1911, but with practice I'm getting much closer. The only downside to me is the concealed carry, but I gave up on that earlier on.

I think I would have been just as happy with the USP but I like the "passive" yet numerous safety features of the XD better. Plus the customer support is allegedly outstanding.

I shoot exceptionally well with all Glocks but the grip angle hurts my hands after a couple of rounds. I also think they're ugly and not as safe as an XD. The 1911 is big, heave and holds 7 round. Out of the question for me even though I'm passionate about it.

I won't be concealing my XDM (although some people do have luck with this), but that's not why I bought it. For target practice, self defense and competition it's hard to beat. But again, it fits ME very well and meets my qualifications. Yours may be different.

The Glock is a fantastic gun. The people who dispute that, in my mind, or just fanboys of another brand. I have legitimate reasons for not wanting one, but that doesn't make it a bad choice.

Find what fits and what meets your needs. Go with a reputable company and you won't look back.

FWIW anyway...

·
Premium Member
3,006 Posts
I wouldn't consider a sub-compact the best all around gun. The small size wouldn't allow a good grip for neccesary combat use.

·
Registered
2,757 Posts
I wouldn't consider a sub-compact the best all around gun. The small size wouldn't allow a good grip for neccesary combat use.
That was the problem I ran into with my Glock - it was a subcompact and I was not especially accurate with it.

Chapie+

1 - 20 of 28 Posts