Springfield XD Forum banner

Which gun for a "fun gun"

• Walther P-1 in 9mm

• Ruger SP101 in .357 Mag

Which gun for a "fun gun"

2K views 10 replies 8 participants last post by  Tard 
#1 · (Edited)
I have the oppertunity to get either one . I want a pistol or revolver for a non-practical fun gun . I have wanted each of these two for quite a while . I have had both before and they have been sold . These will be simply what I said , just for fun and non practical applications . This was my learning lesson to never sell a gun that I know I may miss and I miss them a bunch . So which would you get and why . I can only get one , so dont say both , my wallet is bare enough.

#2 ·
The P-1 is $299 and the SP101 is $400 . They are a bit steep in price , but thats the way prices are around here .
Anyone have a hammerless SP101 thats DOA ? I have a choice of hammer or hammerless .

#4 ·
as much as i want a walther when it comes right down to it the revolver will nearly always outlast an auto. simple rugged and able to withstand much more abuse than most autos ever could. nothing wrong with the walther but the ruger will probobly last much longer before anything needs replaced

#5 ·
With hammer or without hammer ? I havent had a DAO before , just a DA/SA revolver.

#6 ·
I say the Walther P1.

Why, because they are out of production. Right now there are quite a few surplus ones around and prices are low. But the moment the surplus supply dries up their prices will climb.

The SP101 is still in production. There prices will maintain steady.

If you have to wait 5 years to buy another SP101 the prices will be pretty much what they are now and they will still be easy to find. 5 years from now the P1 will be tough to find and cost a lot more.

#7 ·
Tough choice, but I gotta go with the P-1. As stated above, they are out of production. Thinking ahead, they are not going to be available as long as the Ruger.

#8 ·
Well thanks for the info guys , I just got me a Ruger SP101 in .357 Mag .
Its built like a tank and tough as nails . It was used and I called Ruger to get the manufacturer date , they said it was made in March 2008 :D .
Sweet deal ,I think in these parts for 400 .

#9 ·
#10 ·
I would not think of a revolver such as the SP-101 as being a non-practical gun. Seems like a good choice for carry as well if you are a revolver guy. Especially since it can use 38 special or 357 mag.

What do I know? I picked up a Mosin for a "fun gun". :D

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.