Springfield XD Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
539 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am trying to decide here guys. I don’t really hunt, I just want to put some nice holes in some paper.

Redfield Revolution 2-7x33 Accu-Range

Leupold VX-1 3-9X40Mm Matte Duplex Rifle Scope Hunting Shooting 113874

Which one do you think? I thought maybe the 2-7 would be better for the range? Both are withing 7 dollars of each other.

If you have other suggestions I am open.
Thanks!

·
Premium Member
16,913 Posts
I am trying to decide here guys. I don’t really hunt, I just want to put some nice holes in some paper.

Redfield Revolution 2-7x33 Accu-Range

Leupold VX-1 3-9X40Mm Matte Duplex Rifle Scope Hunting Shooting 113874

Which one do you think? I thought maybe the 2-7 would be better for the range? Both are withing 7 dollars of each other.

If you have other suggestions I am open.
Thanks!
Range? Do you need variable power? If you give it up you can get a whole lot more scope

Loctite/paint pen/regularly check your gear. A gun falling off your belt is unacceptable

·
Premium Member
414 Posts
I put a Redfield Revolution 4-12x40 Accu-Range on my dad's model 70 and he loves it. The glass is sharp and the reticle is not overly complicated for a BDC. I would also recommend checking out the Nikon P223 line of scopes:
http://www.opticsplanet.com/s/nikon-p223

Chase B.

·
Registered
539 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The range is a 300 yard range. I am not sure guys. I don't want to overspend but I don't want to buy total junk either. I looked at the p223 but it looks like its only one power, I mean that's fine, just trying to get the most out of my money. Any other suggestions or votes?

·
Registered
408 Posts
I think a lower power optic on an AR is better, so I'd pick the 2-7x. I'd prefer the wider FOV over more magnification. If your AR is only going to ride a sand bag and shoot at paper at known ranges, maybe the 3x9x is better. But I think the 2-7 would be more versatile.

·
Registered
539 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I think a lower power optic on an AR is better, so I'd pick the 2-7x. I'd prefer the wider FOV over more magnification. If your AR is only going to ride a sand bag and shoot at paper at known ranges, maybe the 3x9x is better. But I think the 2-7 would be more versatile.
Thank you! How would the 2-7 be more versatile? I am learning as I go here. Also, it will indeed just be used to punch paper.

·
Registered
539 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Okay, thanks much!

Let me put it this way:

If you had 200-250 to spend on a scope that will be used at the range for punching holes in paper, what would you guys suggest? I am open to anything. The range is 300 yards.

Thanks!

·
Registered
11,703 Posts
Okay, thanks much!

Let me put it this way:

If you had 200-250 to spend on a scope that will be used at the range for punching holes in paper, what would you guys suggest? I am open to anything. The range is 300 yards.

Thanks!
depends on the nature of the hole punching... one ragged hole, or "M16 qualification" accuracy?

·
Registered
3,645 Posts
Let me start by saying that I'm a big Redfield fan! Love the quality of their scopes, especially for the price, and they're US made. Also won't be a boat anchor on your gun either (a lot of scopes -- especially "tactical AR scopes" are uber heavy!). I think the 2-7 would work good, but don't forget the ol' standby of a 3-9x version of the Revolution! It really comes down to how good your eyes are and if you can discern the target well enough to get the desired level of accuracy at 300 yards. Some people have eagle eyes and can get groups they love at those distances with 7x or even 5x. Some have older or less effective eyes and need more magnification to help out. But I think 3-9x is a great all-around range and can serve many purposes. If it were a gun that's just for range work and punching paper, not one I'd have for CQB/HD/SHTF (I run red dots on those type of guns myself), than go 3-9x and you should be quite happy.

·
Premium Member
16,913 Posts
Primary arms red dot its 100 bucks works as well as an aimpoint. But doesn't take a hit as well.

a 3X magnifier

a 1x is easier on your mind to stabilize standing up, its more accurate. An ar is set up to shoot standing up.

If you want magnification and one ragged hole. a super sniper fixed power scope is your best value.

·
Registered
625 Posts
My 1-4x scope works fine for 300 yards. That said I like the look of the Revolution 3-9 tac as I prefer exposed turrets but that's more than is necesary. The Nikon M223 1-4x looks nice.

·
Registered
408 Posts
I will elaborate some. I think a 2-7 is more versatile on an ar because 2x is better than 3x at shooting up close. So if you wanted to hunt or try a competition, your scope be better on the low end. IMO the 7 power is still enough to be ar accurate at 300 yds. If we were talking bolt actions, I would advise to go with the 3-9. I have a 1-4 on my ar and feel comfortable to 300 yds with it. But if I wanted to shoot prairie dogs at 300 yds, I would want more magnification. So determine what you want to use your rifle for and go from there.

Good luck.

·
Premium Member
414 Posts
The range is a 300 yard range. I am not sure guys. I don't want to overspend but I don't want to buy total junk either. I looked at the p223 but it looks like its only one power, I mean that's fine, just trying to get the most out of my money. Any other suggestions or votes?
Nikon has a few magnification ranges in the P223 line; a 3-9x40, a 4-12x40, and the 3x32 you referenced.

I have used a few of the P223s, and many other Prostaff model scopes, out to 500 yards on a variety of weapon platforms. Check out this blog I wrote a year or so ago. In it I describe some of my experiences with a variety of Nikon scopes.

Chase B.

·
Registered
539 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
What a wealth of information! Thanks so much guys!!

I drove out to a better/more stocked gun store and looked through the Leupold VX-1 2-7 x 33MM and the Redfield Revolution 2-7x33 Accu-Range. I literally could not tell a difference. We took them outside and played with the dials and the glass seems exactly the same and when magnified looked awesome on both. I just could not see paying an extra 50 bucks for the same thing, I went with the redfield. Its made by leupold and carries the same warranty. Hope I made the right choice, I tried to pull as much info as possible from your helpful posts!

·
Registered
3,851 Posts
Primary arms red dot its 100 bucks works as well as an aimpoint. But doesn't take a hit as well.

a 3X magnifier

a 1x is easier on your mind to stabilize standing up, its more accurate. An ar is set up to shoot standing up.

If you want magnification and one ragged hole. a super sniper fixed power scope is your best value.
I was actually really digging the new reticle on primary arms' new glass

·
Registered
3,851 Posts
With that being said my AR10 rocks a leupold, and couldn't be happier!

·
Registered
5,759 Posts
I put a Redfield Battlezone 3-9 on my Fal. While it's a decent scope, I expected a lot more for $200.

At least a pair of caps for the adjustment knobs, but Nooo.

Now I am constantly checking my knobs to make sure they haven't been bumped or nudged or moved off of zero again.

·
Registered
539 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Thanks for all the help guys! :-D

1 - 20 of 21 Posts