Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, I'm in the market for another gun. I own an XD45 service that is great. The only thing I changed were the sights, I put on night sights. Up until last week I have never owned or for that matter really had a desire for a 9mm. I went shopping for an XD sc in 40, but I'm getting older and don't care much for the snappy recoil and ended up with a Kahr CW9. I haven't had it to the range yet, Sun will be the day but my better half wants to start shooting more and she loves my 38 and 44 special revolvers and 22 autos. Her daughter is in her mid 30's and has never shot but wants to start going with us also. This time I'm definitly staying with the XD line, mine feels good in both girls hands so which do I get. Yea, I know, just get both right. I'm interested in the Service XD9, or either the 4.5 or 3.8 XDM. I know the differences, mainly the match barrel, changeable backstraps and you don't have to pull the trigger on takedown. What guns do you have, or have had and what are your preferences and why? I appreciate any input.

·
Registered
2,154 Posts
LOVE my XDM 9mm Compact... nothing I've held compares to it. Of course the 1911 that I've had for one day is a whole different love so you can't compare those two. The Kahr PM9 I really enjoy, small size and not snappy like my LCP was, I could shoot the PM9 all day long.

When holding guns, the XDM feels better to me than the XD, but both felt better than Glocks and a couple others I don't recall the brands of right now.

·
Registered
190 Posts
We're probably in the same age bracket and my Subcompact 40 is my favorite gun to shoot. Too much has been made of the snappy recoil. It is very handleable.

I would also recommend the XDm 3.8 9mm compact. 9mm is relatively cheap to shoot and that gun is a real charmer.

Bottom line is, have all three. That's what I did.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I just bought an XDm 9mm with the 4.5" barrel...and to be honest, I already wish I had bought the 3.8. Don't get me wrong, I don't dislike this pistol...I bought it to use at the range and I like the way it feels so much that I would like to carry it...but it is too big for that, for me. So...I guess I'll just have to buy a 3.8 too!

I've had a number of other polymer pistols, including Glocks and S&Ws...I got rid of all of them, and went to 1911s only...but then, I decided I needed a 9mm for general range use, so I got this one, and I am really liking it!

·
Registered
7,507 Posts
If the gun will never be Concealed Carry then the 4.5" XDm 9mm would be a great choice. The larger gun will suck up more recoil making it more fun for a new shooter.

If it might be CC or for occasional CC, then the 3.8" XDm compact 9mm would be a great choice.

If it definitely will be CC all the time, then a Springfield EMP 9mm would be a great choice.

If more zing is wanted, all three choices are available in .40 also. The .40 is just one more thing for a new shooter to overcome and has scared off some. Although, I've gotten 3 buddies to buy XD's in 40 as first hand guns and they had no issue with the recoil at all. They do however glance wistfully at the lower priced 9mm ammo!

·
Registered
464 Posts
I own a few hand guns, but I prefer my Dark Earth XD service in 9mm.
1st it is amazingly cheap to shoot
2nd just big enough, but small enough to CC if I chose to. with the Mec-gar clips it hold 18+1.
it is a great all around gun and fits a lot of hand sizes and shapes.

·
Registered
3,854 Posts
My everyday carry is an XD9SC. I also have the XD40SC, but you're right, the recoil is a little snappy for quick followups for me. The XD9sC is a honey. I can empty the mag as fast as I can pull the trigger into the 10 ring at 5 yards. The sights never come off target.

Changes I've made. TruGlo TFO sights, Pearce pinky grip mag extension, PRP Ultimate trigger kit, Pachmayr slip on grip.

However, bottom line: YOU carry what YOU shoot best.

·
Banned
38,922 Posts
It seems that you're making a purchase for the wife and daughter ... If that's true, they should choose.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
They will only shoot occasionally, I will be the main shooter. My son has a Glock 40 that I shoot pretty well, but like said earlier not as fast on the followup shots and definitely pricier ammo just to play around. My girls will shoot plenty, but do not need a carry gun. They have S&W bodyguard 38's that work just fine for them. Thanks for all the help

·
Premium Member
32,784 Posts
get a 45 5in compact, then you can swap slides and have all 4 models of XD45 in 2 guns. just saying

·
Premium Member
1,626 Posts
A 40SW does not have to be snappy on recoil. While it won't be 9mm soft with commercial ammo, you can get 180 or 200gr loads for the 40SW and it will shoot near to a 45 in felt recoil.
Caliber aside:
Primarily range shooting or competition, XD Tactical 5" or XDm 4.5. Either grip type, but full probably best for competition.
Part-time CC, XD Service 4" or XDm 4.5 or 3.8 (lighter weight) Compact grip preferred.
Mostly CC XD sub compact 3" (lightest weight). XD 4" compact, XDm 3.8 or XDm 4.5 with compact grips (in order of weight - due to more barrel or ammo weight with the XDm). Grip extensions optional.

If it will be mostly a 'loaner' use pistol, the XDm grip panels may be nice, esp for small hands. If mostly for new shooters, a longer barrel may help with both recoil and aim.

Trigger kits, if desired, should go into any quite well for aid in shooter's aiming/firing. You do not seem like a gun/ammo tuner or big on customized, so recoil spring choices and guide rod weights (not available for certain models) may not play into decision.

Do you need to consider shooting amount as in ammo costs? Obvious there.
Or even the possibility of a 40SW with a 357SIG conversion barrel. No change in reliability with the XD/XDm design pistols so either caliber is fine for SD use. Sometimes you can find an XD357SIG going cheap as it is a slower mover on sales. The XD357SIG will convert to 40SW for less expensive practice ammo. No changes except the barrel. The thicker 357 barrel wall is a tad heavier and reduces recoil a little without adding a heavier guide rod. Or for range use only due to reduced reliability, either the 40SW or 357SIG can convert to 9mm for cheaper practice - mag and recoil spring change recommended not required. Conversions are or soon will be available for all models.
Nothing seems to say smile quite like the 357 mystique. all IMO

·
Registered
160 Posts
I don't claim to be a firearms expert but have owned and fired many different platforms and my XDm 9mm 4.5 is the sweetest of them all. I bought my wife a Bersa Thunder .380 and while it is a fun shooter, it committed an unforgivable sin and was taken out of service. I also bought her a Ruger LCR and keep it packed with 125 gr. HPs for self defense. It takes a little practice but she handles it as well as I do. My 9 mil is easily hidden with the right clothes and holster.

Disclaimer: I have never fired a Glock of any caliber or .40 of any brand.

·
Registered
7,507 Posts
I bought my wife a Bersa Thunder .380 and while it is a fun shooter, it committed an unforgivable sin and was taken out of service.

I was looking at one of those for CC when WI finally joins the other 55 states that allow CC. What was the sin?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Range time today with the Kahr CW9 and my girl and her new S&W bodyguard 38. She loves her gun and is quite pleased. I bought 500 Magtech 115 FMJ to shoot for brass and the 200 round suggested break-in was a blast. One burp, at about 100 rounds the slide locked back mid magazine. Sling shot the mag again and no more issues. I thought that I would never own a 9, I have a Springfield 1911, an XD45, A Glock 23 and many revolvers, my favorite is 44 spec. The reviews on this gun were correct, the "checkering" is quite rough so I smoothed mine a touch and could have shot many more than the 200 rounds, but it was hot today and gotta save some more fun for later. I purchased a couple of 8 round mags with grip ext and one without the ext. While the gun felt a hair better with the longer grip it definitely is not a pinky hanger with my hands, small/medium. The trigger pull seemed to be far too long at first, but that went away real fast. Like I said, I love my 44 spec revolvers, 3 double action, one cowboy gun. Recoil was more than manageable, I could have shot much more. My better half only shot one mag, she only got into shooting when she met me a few years ago and likes revolvers, oh and my Ruger MKII. Other than the one time slide locking back mid mag my only other complaint is the factory mags for the CW9. Man are they tough to load. Some went in just fine, then you'd have a very difficult time with one. All magazines operated the same. Even after starting the rim just pushing the case back to the back was hard, I wound up occasionally pushing the bullet nose against the table to push the bullet back. Now I have to choose a carry load and check them for function. I've been reading all I can and again the "experts" have me confused. Some claim do not go over 124 gr in weight, while others tout the 147gr as a must use. What do you all carry, and while your at it, what holster do you like? I'm what they used to call husky, in other words a pot bellied older guy, who likes t-shirts, or a few button up shirts worn untucked so I'm definitely leaning for an outside the waistband holster.

Thanks for your help

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
This time I'm definitly staying with the XD line, mine feels good in both girls hands so which do I get. ...What guns do you have, or have had and what are your preferences and why? I appreciate any input.
I have an XDm .40 and recoil is really manageable though admittedly more than 9mm. I recently bought a CZ 75 SP-01 Tactical (all steel 9mm) and I highly recommend you try one before you buy a pistol. It is SWEET! Recoil is minimal and the grip is even better than XDm (IMHO). The down side is that it is so nice, my wife claimed it as hers already. :cry:

Originally, the trigger pull is a bit gritty and heavy (it is DA/SA) but after some dry fire and shortening the main hammer spring...it now have a smooth 4.5lb SA pull w/ crisp break.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts