Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I am looking to have new night sites and possibly a combat trigger job done on my XDm 9mm.

Would you guys recommend going with Springfield's custom shop, or someplace like springer precision?

I feel like with the Springfield shop, everything is still under their warranty. What do you guys think?

·
Registered
6 Posts
I have heard that a trigger job would be good. I am not really up on this. I ordered a XDm 9mm on Monday from gilbertsguns.com and it should deliver tomorrow or friday. Should I send it somewhere and have a trigger job? What lb pull should it have or is that something that only I can tell from shooting other guns. Where is Springer's located? I have heard good about them? How much does a trigger job cost? Lots of questions huh.
thanks

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Anyone have experience with Springfield's own Custom Shop?

·
Registered
902 Posts
Yes. SA Combat Carry action job & Heinie Slant Pro 'Straight 8' NS conversion on my XD-9SC. Extremely smooth trigger & one of the best XD's I've felt that is still 'carry suitable'. They test-fired it after the NS conversion to verify accuracy as well. Very polite, pretty quick, and reasonably priced. My XD(M) is going up there for the same work very soon. Highly recommended!

There are some other shops out there that do great work, so my enthusiasm for SACS is not a knock on other shops - just customer satisfaction.

However - I will NEVER send anything to S&W again unless I have to for warranty reasons. That's a whole 'nother story, and of course YMMV.

Anyone have experience with Springfield's own Custom Shop?

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the review!

I am thinking of sending in my XDm 9mm for a set of either the Springfield Custom night sights (which are the exact same as stock but with tritium inserts), or Dawson fixed 3 dot night sights, in which the front sight has a white ring around the tritium tube for easier sighting in daylight.

If I do that, I am also considering having their combat/carry package done at the same time.

How do you like your straight 8's?

·
Registered
45 Posts
Duren Custom, in Nixa, Mo. is excellent with XD, and Glock triggers, reductions, snakeskin stippling, and refinishing work. He also works on about everything else, but his polymer gun stuff rocks. and his snakeskin work is second to none.
Does Duren Customs have a web site? I searched with google but did not find one.

Thanks

·
Registered
902 Posts
You're welcome. This is kinda long but here ya go... Please bear in mind that my XD's are setup meant for very close range shooting, although even the little XD-SC will hit stuff out to 40yds or so if need be. I am not a tactical ninja nor claim to be a great shot, just confident that I can hit what I must if the need arises. Being right-handed but left-eye dominant may have something to do with my lack of affection for 3-dot sights as I shoot pistols predominantly right-handed and long guns lefty. Anyhow, to answer your question:

I like the Straight 8's a lot, enough to where it was odd shooting both the SC9 with 'em & the stock XD(M)9 back-to-back at the range. I just grab the SC and hit what I want whereas it seemed like I had to think about the front sight too much on the M. Maybe it's due to the fact that I never got into 3-dot sights a whole lot (teethed on plain old school military-style sights and cheap airguns). In good light I don't worry about the dots at all on the Heine's and in dim lighting I simply look for two dots and I know where I am quite quickly.

Additional notes on SC vs. M, if you like:
My stock XD-SC trigger had a lot of creep, and with that short barrel combined with small grip and heavy pull it was not super easy to shoot at close range, and far less than optimal at 15-25yds. The Combat Carry job was amazing IMO, it made it supremely easy to hit whatever you want within a reasonable distance - I only had to be concerned with aiming and firing without 'fighting' the trigger for lack of a better term. It was OK stock but not ‘preferable’ to other options, the CC job made it my #1 smallish to medium sized carry weapon.

And now first impressions of the M in use at close range (10yds and less for SD testing)… the trigger didn’t feel all that different from the regular XD in dry-fire at the store except maybe a bit of extra weight/length making it feel more stable, and I bought it based solely on how well it seemed to point. The firing range turned into an entirely different and good experience! I ran 213 rounds of various 124gr GDHP+P, 124gr NATO, and 115gr commercial ammo thru it seamlessly. It worked fine naked, with laser, and with light+laser mounted (although a bit nose-heavy). The trigger is definitely heavier than the SC as expected but still quite manageable/livable. Creep was not a big issue and the reset did not seem too much different than the reworked little gun. I want the Heinies asap since I’m accustomed to them but the trigger seemed just fine for now from a strictly utilty standpoint –but still doing both when I send it in just due to shipping costs/being without it.

I should also mention that a big deciding factor in having SA do the work on my SC is that it is first and foremost a defensive weapon. If I ever have a warranty issue the factory did the work so she is 100% covered without question. Should the unfortunate event arise that I ever have to use it in an actual situation to defend myself, I have the configuration that the manufacturer has deemed ‘safe and appropriate’ for said usage.

If I was building strictly a competition or target gun, perhaps I’d look at things a bit differently.

Thanks for the review!

I am thinking of sending in my XDm 9mm for a set of either the Springfield Custom night sights (which are the exact same as stock but with tritium inserts), or Dawson fixed 3 dot night sights, in which the front sight has a white ring around the tritium tube for easier sighting in daylight.

If I do that, I am also considering having their combat/carry package done at the same time.

How do you like your straight 8's?

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yes. SA Combat Carry action job & Heinie Slant Pro 'Straight 8' NS conversion on my XD-9SC. Extremely smooth trigger & one of the best XD's I've felt that is still 'carry suitable'. They test-fired it after the NS conversion to verify accuracy as well. Very polite, pretty quick, and reasonably priced. My XD(M) is going up there for the same work very soon. Highly recommended!

There are some other shops out there that do great work, so my enthusiasm for SACS is not a knock on other shops - just customer satisfaction.

However - I will NEVER send anything to S&W again unless I have to for warranty reasons. That's a whole 'nother story, and of course YMMV.

I am going to send mine for the combat/carry option job as well as new sights....haven't decided whether theirs or Dawsons that I provide.

What is the trigger pull weight after Springfields Custom shot Combat Carry trigger job?

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter #13

·
Registered
902 Posts

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Does springfield's trigger job reduce pre-travel?

It seems that springer uses their own custom and improved parts. What does this do to the SA warranty if Springer does the work with their parts?

It also seems that with springer's custom parts, I will need to dry fire to field strip my Xdm.....this is not a big deal, but I would like to know for sure if this is the case and if there is anything else to be aware of.

I like the dawson sights alot and the Springer parts and workmanship seem to be an improvement, but I am a bit conerned about the warranty.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts