Springfield XD Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
With an auto you have to wait for it to cycle. Evidently, this is so slow that companies like Glock & Springfield put lightening cuts in the top of their slides on competition models so there's less mass and the slide can cycle faster. Now to a mere mortal like me any semi-auto has fired and is back in battery ready to fire again before I've recovered and am ready to fire another shot. I've never noticed that my 1911s are slower to cycle than my Springfield XD(M) Competition .45 or my Glock 34 that each have a big hunk of their slides removed as competition guns. In fact, I've yet to hear any 1911 owner complain "you know, the only problem with this gun is it's doesn't shoot fast enough; I need to cut out a big hunk of the the slide to make to cycle faster."

I've been told that theoretically a revolver can be fired faster than an auto. Well, at least if your name is Jerry Miculek, though he seems something of an anomaly. My 9mm revolver (S&W 986) has a titanium cylinder to accommodate such stunningly high rates of fire (lighter weight metal for less mass). Again, doesn't matter much to me, as I cock the hammer manually and fire with a desire for accuracy so we'll never know how fast it could potentially fire.

So which can you fire faster? Or are you a mere mortal like me to whom none of this matters?

·
Registered
4,973 Posts
The only wheel gun I own is a GP100. Although I've never shot it with speed, I'm almost certain I can shoot any of my semis faster.

I'm not all that concerned about speed shooting.

·
Registered
3,228 Posts
Just because nobody here is capable of it, does not mean it is not true.

Against Miculek--you'd lose.
I knew someone was going to pee in my cheerios. :lol:

Can he really shoot 7 or 8 rounds, reload and finish that cylinder off prior to me doing a mag dump? Not saying he can't but that is pretty impressive if he can.

·
Registered
5,856 Posts
I knew someone was going to pee in my cheerios. :lol:

Can he really shoot 7 or 8 rounds, reload and finish that cylinder off prior to me doing a mag dump? Not saying he can't but that is pretty impressive if he can.
I only know of him doing it with a 6 cylinder. 12 shots with a reload in less then 3 seconds. As you watch this keep in mind that all 12 are ON target. Pretty sure he could do a second reload just as quick for 18.

·
Registered
14,385 Posts
I can barely follow his shooting, I need the slow motion just to follow it! The man is amazing.

I can say at the range I sometimes do a 16+1 shoot as fast as I can pull the trigger just to see how I handle the recoil/recovery and how fast I can empty the mag.

I am quite certain I can not fire 5 shots DA out of my SP101 shooting 38's (forget 357's!) as fast as I can fire 5 rounds out of my XD9sc.

·
Registered
2,250 Posts
Since Jerry Miculek has already been brought up... 27 rounds of 9mm out of a high cap 1911 with no reload... 3.7 seconds, all on target.

Comparing apples to apples it is very close if you take out the ammo capacity difference.

Reactions: Ryno785

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I saw Jerry shooting the new 8 shot 9mm revolver from S&W and as per usual you have to see it to believe it. It was at a rate of fire normally reserved for automatic weapons, not revolvers. Truly stunning.

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I can you're wondering Miculek can be beaten by an actual machine gun. I remember seeing that on "Sons of Guns" the other year. Though he still puts up a strong showing.

·
Premium Member
128,168 Posts
The fastest gun I have ever fired is the 20mm Vulcan cannon. Look it up! ;-)

·
Registered
2,250 Posts
The fastest gun I have ever fired is the 20mm Vulcan cannon. Look it up! ;-)
This is true although Jerry does have a lot of fun and a very quick trigger finger.

·
Registered
338 Posts
Just because you can shoot rounds faster doesn't mean you can hit the target, Miculek can, but he is not a typical shooter.

·
Registered
2,250 Posts
I could have posted the videos where he accurately speed shoots a .50 A&E Desert Eagle, a .500 S&W revolver, or 6 rounds from the shoulder with a Barrett .50 BMG. All the rounds were on target. I could have even posted the one where he shoulder fires one round from a Barrett .50 BMG within 2 seconds and hits a steel plate at 1,000 yards and the bullet hit the steel close enough to send shrapnel into a balloon and pop it.

Jerry is clearly in a much higher class as a shooter than a very high majority of shooters. His numerous national championships prove it.

As for us normal shooters I would say it is faster to shoot a semi auto and reloading especially favors the semi auto. Jerry just proves that with enough practice something that is considered old school and slow can be extremely quick.

Reactions: Ryno785

·
Registered
3,851 Posts
I could have posted the videos where he accurately speed shoots a .50 A&E Desert Eagle, a .500 S&W revolver, or 6 rounds from the shoulder with a Barrett .50 BMG. All the rounds were on target. I could have even posted the one where he shoulder fires one round from a Barrett .50 BMG within 2 seconds and hits a steel plate at 1,000 yards and the bullet hit the steel close enough to send shrapnel into a balloon and pop it.

Jerry is clearly in a much higher class as a shooter than a very high majority of shooters. His numerous national championships prove it.

As for us normal shooters I would say it is faster to shoot a semi auto and reloading especially favors the semi auto. Jerry just proves that with enough practice something that is considered old school and slow can be extremely quick.
He also often fires highly modified guns to even keep up with his speed. I love watching him on YouTube. What I wouldn't give to shake that man's hand.

·
Registered
2,250 Posts
The handshake would have to be caught on high speed camera just to prove it actually happened... :)

1 - 20 of 27 Posts