Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone have suggestions on the best bullets to reload for the XD40. What are the best brands and grain for target and also self- defense? Which powder as well? I have reloaded rifle for years, but I am just starting pistol loads.

·
Registered
2,637 Posts
I use a plated 180 gr. bullet, 4.7 gn of W231 and Win SP primers--this is a practice/target load. I don't reload personal defense ammo, I buy from the majors for that important article of self defense.

·
Registered
58 Posts
I've used the Berry's plated bullets for .40 in 180 grain weight. The powder was Unique. I use a load near full power.

Don't handload defensive ammo. Buy it as previously suggested. In .40, I use the 180 grain HydroShok by Federal. I picked this because it is subsonic, and won't be quite as loud fired indoors (such as a home defense scenario). Lighter bullet loads are reputed to be slightly more effective.

CorBon has some good loads. Their 135 grain HP is very fast, with a high energy level and is unlikely to overpenetrate.

It seems the consensus among those in the know is that 150-165 grain loads in the .40 offer the best overall performance. I've never used these and can't recommend specific loads in that weight range.

·
Registered
2,420 Posts
I may duplicate your load Snake-Eater, as a starting point.

·
Registered
2,637 Posts
[TASF said:
Overkill]I may duplicate your load Snake-Eater, as a starting point.
Yeah, it can be loaded hotter, I just choose not to. If I want a hotter .40 reload, I move up to 10mm (known around my house as the .40 Magnum :D )

·
Registered
260 Posts
I just finished loading up and testing some 180 gr. "West Coast" copper clad bullets. I used a Winchester case and primer and 5.9 grains of Unique. This load is pretty accurate and softer shooting than the White Box, 165 gr. ammo I've been shooting.

WyoBob

·
Registered
2,011 Posts
180 gr Billy Bullet (Moly)

3.5 gr Tite group

1.150" OAL

Good Target and IPSC minor load.

You can also use 3.6 g VV320 as well.

Same load with a 180 JHP (Zero bullet) works well too.

Both are very accurate and soft shooting.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I recently got a XD 40 for IDPA, and i'am loading 3.5 grains of hogdon clays under a 165 grain montana gold bullet it shoots very soft and accurately.Shot this last tuesday night match with it , and was very pleased with the load.

·
Registered
1,542 Posts
Hunter280 said:
I recently got a XD 40 for IDPA, and i'am loading 3.5 grains of hogdon clays under a 165 grain montana gold bullet it shoots very soft and accurately.Shot this last tuesday night match with it , and was very pleased with the load.
I've just started shooting 3.5 gr of Clays under 165 Rainier HP. I agree, very soft & accurate.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I found a formula in the internet that you enter the cost of your components broken down ,and will give you the cost per round.I did mine ,and came up to $3.50 per 100 counting that the brass u pick.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Been precision handloading 20 years and have come across the stuck round as most of you.

Decided to look into it and one thing I found is all te factory amo I've used and my handloads data, the COL is sometimes .020" less tha Max SAAMI COL.
A short round which operates in all my other 40's.
1.As SA says, put 200-400 rounds ball as initial breakin. They claim this will help polish the ramp and break the XD in for other ammo.
2. have a gunsmith super polish the ramp.

Load; 180gr Speer Gold Dot(if you are a handloader)
Win 231 5.5 gr CCI500 primer COL 1.133" 885fps
Checked cases against commercial fired and dimensions just above web are the same and primers not flattened.
Tacfirearms Institute and FBI penetration reports the 180GD at 883fps to be over 13" bare and 15" denim covered. No overpenetration and a load that will produce the very least muzzel flash and with the XML light POA/POI return is quick. 231 burns 95% in a 3" barrel.
The 165gr Golden Saber is another good one.

Commercial loaded above rounds may not use WW231 and may not be as efficient.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Shot some 40SW Gold Dot 180's and measured the case web for reference.
Win cases trimmed to .8405"
Loaded 180gr,
CCI 500
VihtN340, 6.0gr
COL 1.130"
Velocity 966fps SD=9 FBI Lite+
Got same results with WSP primers.

Web expansion on the Speer cases was .4230"
Web expansion on WW cases exactly the same.

Looks like VihtN340 gives almost 100fps more velocity and recoil is about the same as 231. Brisk, and double tapping is easy.

Viht has a wider selection of burn rates in the AA5 range and the N340 in the 3" barrel burns close to 90-95% based on QuickLoad data where AA5 is in the 80% range. Muzzle pressure is about 1000psi lower than AA5 and that's a big plus.

I called SA and reported a 50% failure to chamber 1st round and a 30% failure during fire cycling with HP's. Linda said they could match the ramp length to the bullet if I wanted. I think they should have given at least another .010" length to the ramp. Out of 200 rounds.

All my hand loads had 100% success, mainly due to the extra COL. 200 rounds.

So, if your going to use Rem Golden Sabers or Speer Gold Dots it might be a good idea to take a caliper in the store and see which one has the greater COL or send the gun in for a longer ramp.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts