Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I, am going to start reloading .223. The more I, research this more confusing it gets. I, want to load .223 fmjbt. The powder is going to be H335. I, will be shooting them in a CMMG 16" chrome lined barrel 1:7 twist.
My question is what is a good brand name bullet to use that is not to expensive but accurate from 25yrds (indoor) to 100+ yrds (outdoor). Also were is a good place to buy, most everyplace is around $75.00+/ 1000.

·
Registered
372 Posts
I buy the winchester 55gr fmj from cabelas.

·
Registered
2,510 Posts
Dude... commas... ouch

Any bullet will probably work at those distances. Just get whats the cheapest. It seems Cabelas is the cheapest around here but I am sure the internet will be cheaper in bulk.

·
Registered
6,685 Posts
Per Fish, any brand will do for your purpose. Be sure and buy in lots of 1000. Expect to pay around $100 per 1000, +/- $10.

·
Registered
1,354 Posts
I, would, usually, recommend, a, heavier, bullet, for, the, 1:7 twist, but, since, you, are, shooting, at, such, short, distances...I, don't, know, that, it, will, matter, all, that, much. ;)

Seriously, for the kind of short-range work you are looking at doing, I'd stick with the cheap, bulk pack 55gr FMJBT stuff. I will shoot well, be accurate for what you are doing, and it is CHEAP!! Here is a link to the Winchester 55gr FMJBT stuff at Midway USA which comes out to less than $0.08 per bullet. Doesn't get much better than that (particularly when compared to the $0.20 per bullet that I am paying for SMK's).

MidwayUSA - Winchester Bullets 22 Caliber (224 Diameter) 55 Grain Full Metal Jacket Boat Tail Box of 1000 (10 Bags of 100)

Also, don't forget to check your local sources (Wally world, Cabela's, Bass Pro, etc., if you have them in your area) because S&H on 1000 or more 55gr projectiles can get expensive quickly.

Good luck...

·
Registered
12,197 Posts
It sounds like you want blasting ammo. The bbl. twist rate matters little unless you are going heavy long range bullets & will shoot the lighter 55gr fine. Try TJ's, best rpice I know of. WB556MC55 22 Cal 55 gr FMC

·
Registered
84 Posts
I prefer the Hornady 55gr FMJBT's. Most online retailers sell them for between $70 and $80/1000. They are very consistent and about as economical as any. With that twist rate, you could go heavier.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
It sounds like you want blasting ammo. The bbl. twist rate matters little unless you are going heavy long range bullets & will shoot the lighter 55gr fine. Try TJ's, best rpice I know of. WB556MC55 22 Cal 55 gr FMC
Thanks for the reply. I, ordered 2k .223 from TJ's. Their price was $69.00/1000 and that included shipping. He said he only has about 100k left at this price.

·
Registered
5,752 Posts
i load 62 grain SS109s in my 1/7 and 1/8 cmmg. i bought a bunch a while back for about $80 per 1000. 55grain should work but odds are you will have better luck with the 62 grain or higher since that is what that twist was designed for

·
Registered
5,752 Posts

·
Registered
6,685 Posts
I prefer the Hornady 55gr FMJBT's. Most online retailers sell them for between $70 and $80/1000. They are very consistent and about as economical as any. With that twist rate, you could go heavier.
How about posting a link to one of those online vendors? I'll place an order right now.

·
Registered
12,197 Posts
How about posting a link to one of those online vendors? I'll place an order right now.
Go back & look, we all posted links.:rolleyes:

·
Registered
6,685 Posts
Go back & look, we all posted links.:rolleyes:
Hmmmm. :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes: Widener's is out of stock of bulk Hornady fmjbt. The other links were for Winchester 55gr.fmjbt, which offers, in my experience, the worst accuracy of any bulk bullets I ever bought.

Any other suggestions on the Hornady 55gr. fmjbts? :cool: Thanks in advance, as I sure would like to buy a few thousand.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts