• Small

• Medium

• Large

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I thought it would be interesting to see what backstrap (small, medium, or large) Xdm owners are using. It might also be interesting to hear how people arrived at their preference.

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
I've been using the medium because I cant get the freakin pin out. I need to get a punch tool

Yeah, I'm a bit nervous abut causing damage or cracking something. I wish they had found a better way than a roll pin.:(

For those of you that went from medium to small, what differences did you notice?

·
Premium Member
2,267 Posts
I didn't vote because I don't have an XDM (yet). Looked at the XDM 9mm at a gun show last Sunday. What backstrap is installed from the factory? Medium? If it was the medium I will probably go with the largest backstrap.

Just didn't care for the one that was installed on the gun at the show. I don't know why because I have probably normal (smaller) hands. When I hold a pistol, I like the feel of something with more mass. I like the grip on the XD45ACP Tactical I have. This is one reason I never cared for the feel of some of the cut-down concealable 1911's that are now being made. Just doesn't feel right in my hand. Also don't like the feel of the compact XD's. Even with the magazine extentions, it just doesn't feel right.

·
Registered
105 Posts
I was shooting low left till I switched to the small backstrap today. Now I'm all in the black!! maybe I was tightening my grip during trigger pull? I have LARGE hands too and thought for sure I would be using the larger grip. Hey whatever works the best......

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I've been using the medium because I cant get the freakin pin out. I need to get a punch tool
I was shooting low left till I switched to the small backstrap today. Now I'm all in the black!! maybe I was tightening my grip during trigger pull? I have LARGE hands too and thought for sure I would be using the larger grip. Hey whatever works the best......

hmm... same issue here. I want to try the smaller size but am nervous to bang the pin out.

·
Registered
105 Posts
It really does come out easily. I just used a straight punch I had from sears and a rubber mallet. A couple good taps and it was out the other side, now just pull it out with pliers.

·
Registered
109 Posts
I started with the Med grips for obvious reasons and was very disappointed the first trip to the range because I kept shooting low and left. I used one of the smallest Allen wrenches I own to remove the pin and installed the Large grips. The gun felt better in my hands and I shot 100 percent better.

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I finally got up the nerve and punched mine out with a 3/32" punch. It was in pretty tight, but I didn't have to slam it or anything. I used a rubber mallet to tap it out. I played with each backstrap for about half an hour, seeing which felt best. They all had things I liked. I decided on the small because it seemed with allow the grip to fit in my hand better. Then I went to the range and my groups seemed noticeably tighter. Could be me getting better, could be the grip. With the medium, I felt the need to shift the gun around in my hand to find a comfortable grip, but the small seemed to just fit. I also rubbed some lube on the pin before replacing to to make it easier to get out again if need be.

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Ok, how many of you medium people have not tried the other sizes?:mrgreen:

·
Registered
51 Posts
I like both the medium and large. I currently have the medium on my XDm9 due to the wife's hands have a hard time with the larger backstrap.

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I took my dad to the range with his Xdm (medium grip) and mine (small) we took turns shooting each others Xdm and comparing the grip. It was hard to say that one felt better than the other, more just that they felt different. In the end, I felt I could get a firmer grip with more control with the small. My dad agreed and I changed his to small afterwards. On a side note, he had no crack either, but the mold marks looked different on his than mine did. Mine we vertical only. He had some horizontal marks that resembled the cracks others have mentioned, but is was obvious that they were surface marks only.

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
bump...gotta be more xdm owners out there!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts