Springfield XD Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,742 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I see AR prices are finally falling to reasonable levels - sunday's paper had 3 or 4 listed for under $600.

So my main use would be CMP/EIC shoots, think 300-600 yards.
There are no 3-gun competitions locally (yet anyway) but there are 'patrol rifle' shoots - IDPA with an AR so I think that's failry similar to the rifle porttion of a 3gun shoot.

I know ARs come in piston or gas...you can get light/heavy barrels, diff lengths.
I doubt I'd be competitive in 3gun so long distance shooting would be the priority but if can be used in 3gun so much the better.

What am I looking for, component wise? I figure a geissele trigger, the furniture would mostly be a personal preferance.

·
Registered
5,759 Posts
600 yards, I would want a 20 inch barrel.

But they are a little slower to swing in fast paced close quarters target acquisitions.

·
Premium Member
15,438 Posts
18" barrel has become more a standard in 3gun... Build a 18" free float with an 3x optic and burris fast fire 3 on top of it.

·
Premium Member
16,913 Posts
I was thinking 5.56 might be too light for 600 yards?

5.56x45mm NATO -.223 Remington - Sniper Central
Nahh not for paper. Rifle length gas tube. A Mi keymod 12" rail light. Geissle Ssae trigger (further focus) or 3 gun (standing focus)

1/8(using primarily 55-69 gr ammo) or 1/7 twist (reloading heavy bullets or buying them $$)

Comp as you see fit. Battle comps my preference but many gill style breaks are ideal in outdoor competitions.

Safety is a momentary choice. Prior performance and certification are completely irrelevant.

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
CMP is for GI configuration rifles only--20", iron sights...find yourself a good HBAR configuration rifle.

Not what you'd want for 3-gun, although you could make it work.

Tell that to the shooters at Camp Perry.
I agree with Cuda, although it would take a lot of work to make the CMP rifle work for 3-gun or vice versa. Those two competitions require very different rifles.

Generally, depending on the ranges a club offers in 3-gun, you want a gun that can handle quickly for CQB type stages as well as handle some distance accurately (but not necessarily precisely). It's a very dynamic game.

The CMP stuff is usually a heavy rifle to hold steady and NOT move much/quickly for accuracy and precision. It's a static game.

Look into the rules for each game and those rules will guide your choices for components. For example, CMP requires a minimum trigger pull poundage (I think it's 4 lbs, but don't quote me). Those 2 games are very different and require different rifles.

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
18" barrel has become more a standard in 3gun... Build a 18" free float with an 3x optic and burris fast fire 3 on top of it.
The optic choice is not optimal. Better the red dot on a 45 degree mount rather than sitting on top of another optic. If the red dot is on top, you can't get a cheek weld on the stock to shoot steady/quickly. That sight combo also puts you in "open" class which means you had better have an "open" class shotgun and pistol if you truly want to compete.

·
Registered
1,742 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Lots of categories and matches...picking one (or 10 maybe?) is almost as much challenge as picking a rifle or the actual competition!
How To Get Started High Power Rifle Competition

1. Slow Fire, standing - 10 rounds at 200 yards in 10 minutes.
2. Rapid Fire, sitting or kneeling - 10 rounds at 200 yards in 60 seconds.
3. Rapid Fire, 10 rounds prone - 300 yards in 70 seconds.
4. Slow Fire, 10 rounds prone - 500 or 600 yards in 10 minutes.

Rifle: Rifles to be used in High Power Rifle competition should be equipped with metallic sights, any sights, or scopes. The type of sights you choose on your rifle will determine the division of the rifle. Tournament programs often group competitions into two divisions, Service Rifle and Match Rifle. The rifles currently defined as "Service Rifles" include the M1, M14, M16 and their commercial equivalents.

Long Range Competition
NRA rules provide for slow fire prone competition at ranges beyond 600 yards. The Palma Match is one such event. It is conducted at distances of 800, 900, and 1000 yards. Some of these matches permit the use of telescopic sights.

The difficulty I'm having is trying to figure out what rifle is the 'best' for long distance (what attributes) and then what competitions it's legal for.
they seem to make it difficult to understand this...or maybe I"m dense, but googling brings up rule books htat talk at lentgh about everything EXCEPT the rifle.
Even the info above is rather vague..barrel length, weight? "As Issued" service rifle works fine for an enfield or garand but I can't get an 'as issued' AR/M as they were issued as machine guns...
And I know in the garand match a new rifle from springfield wasn't legal to use - they changed that in 2013 I believe. A used WW2 rifle rarely does better than 2-3" groups and it's iron sights at 200 yards.

More info here but the links to the rulebooks are not correct.

I was thinking 5.56 might be too light for 600 yards?

5.56x45mm NATO -.223 Remington - Sniper Central

·
Registered
1,742 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I"m slowly getting it - very diff rifles. I know little about ARs hence my asking questions, and perhaps I"m not asking the right questions?

·
Registered
2,743 Posts
If you're actually looking to do a CMP Service Rifle type match, the RRA National Match is pretty much the standard. A rifle that follows the same blueprint will likely be what you need.

Of course, that rifle is going to be challenging to use in 3-Gun. I think you may be hoping for too much utility out of only one rifle. Maybe buy a cheaper AR later off the shelf and upgrade that as you go for 3-gun, and buy yourself a good 20" rifle for CMP type competition now (since that seems to be you highest valued competition class currently).

·
Registered
10,949 Posts
CMP is for GI configuration rifles only--20", iron sights...find yourself a good HBAR configuration rifle.

Not what you'd want for 3-gun, although you could make it work.

Tell that to the shooters at Camp Perry.
Sounds like an excuse to buy a colt ar15a4... ;)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts