Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
837 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I would normal put this in the optics section, but my question is mostly about SHTF use. Which of the Aimpoint models have the longest battery life? Which would be the most interchangeable between an AR or an AK? Optics are one of the last things I need before I can feel somewhat prepared. I'd really appreciate the help. Thanks!

·
Registered
261 Posts
As for Aimpoints I like the T1 over the Comp due to not having all that tube obstructing my vision. I tried out a CompM4 on my LWRC M6A2 and just felt like there was so much vision obstructed.

I ended up getting a EOTech 512, I liked the circle-dot and housing set up better than the Aimpoint's dot. Battery life on the Aimpoint kicks ass, but it wasn't an issue for me being that I am stateside. If I were to take a trip to a dark and dangerous place the battery issue may be a game changer.

If you go with a QD mount you can interchange the optic between AR and AK and anything else with a rail.

·
Registered
517 Posts
Iron sights less to break.

·
Registered
517 Posts
I
Tritium iron sights.
I almost bought an AR with tritium front site, I'm glad I didn't because my newest one was a way better deal. I am thinking of doing a tritium iron site on this rifle.

·
Premium Member
3,471 Posts
Check out the Aimpoint ML3.

·
Registered
921 Posts
personally if life span is a big thing, i'd look at an ACOG, simply cause it doesn't need batteries, its all fibre optics and tritium.
and emp wont hurt it since its got no electronics

·
Registered
8,566 Posts
Iron sights are better for SHTF. No batteries, no glass, no maintenance.

·
Registered
224 Posts
aimpoint t1 gets my vote, although i put an eotech xps on my ar cause i didnt like having to buy a separate mount for the damn aimpoint, and i like the openess of the eotech if you know what i mean

·
Registered
246 Posts
I've got an Aimpoint CompM4S and with both eyes open and focusing on the target, the optic isn't even noticeable. It also has an 80k hour battery life with an easy to acquire AA battery and it co-witnesses iron sights with the proper height QD mount.

·
Registered
4,401 Posts
personally if life span is a big thing, i'd look at an ACOG, simply cause it doesn't need batteries, its all fibre optics and tritium.
and emp wont hurt it since its got no electronics
I have to give it to the ACOG owners here, for the PAW this is the way to go, although I have a solar set up to recharge AA batteries :)

To those that keep bringing up iron sights, those are not gone just because you put optics on. But it is important to make sure they are zeroed even if you have those optics!

·
Registered
1,567 Posts
I personally will be picking up a Aimpoint Patrol Rifle Optic, its basicly an ML3 with a Compm4 mount from what I understand, great battery life and only $400.

I don't think an EMP is going to happen, but that doesn't mean I don't have iron sights.

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
Not trying to jack the thread, but check out the Vortex Strikefire. Same quality for much lower price. Played with one at Palmetto State this weekend and was sold.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts