Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
455 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,

I'm in the process of applying for my CHL, the next thing for me is to find a good, quality, DEPENDABLE, firearm for CC. I really don't want a "pocket pistol", I have narrowed it down to a few... however, I am open to suggestions. Here is my short list (so far), all are 9mm...

Kimber - Solo Carry, (Bi-Tone)
Kahr- CM9
Springfield Armory - XD Sub Compact (bi-tone)
Walther - PPS

I am not new to guns, but my experience is mainly the M16 A2. If anyone has any suggestions, experiences with these, please feel free to post them!:confused:

·
Registered
2,323 Posts
With the XDSC you'll sacrifice slimness for capacity, all are good choices, I did have a PPS everything was great about it except the price, I do have a raven holster for it and a blackhawk pocket holster. Pocket carrying it was nice since I have a larger waistline. I'd go for the CW9 over the PPS since its half the price. Compacts and SC are great choices for CC.

·
Registered
616 Posts
I would go with the XDsc. Why? Well, because that's what I CC everyday :D. Kimber does make a great 1911, although I have never held or shot a solo carry, I would assume they are well built like the 1911's. out of the 4 you have listed, I would go with one of these two.

That's just my .02

·
Registered
158 Posts
go pick the guns up in the store before you decide to buy a gun to trust your life with that you havent touched, much less shot.

at the end of the day what matters is being able to sling lead accurately, not what kind of gun you did it with. i know nothing about the kimbers, but the other 3 are all reliable guns, i have shot kimber .45 1911s and dont expect that gun to be any worse. go pick some guns up at the store, see what feels good in your hands. after that go to a range and rent one if possible. then make your decision.

guns are not a one size fits all type thing, if they were then there wouldnt be 100 different gun manufacturers.

·
Registered
1,363 Posts
you need to hold them and compare sizes. the xd will be the thicker of the bunch i believe but that gives you more capacity so its a personal choice. also shooting them all would be a good idea.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Dont forget the SIG P290

·
Registered
50 Posts
I looked at a tons of 9's and held them all prior to selection. I ended up with the Springfield XD 9mm Sub-compact all black. It came with a case and a bunch of extra gear. I would not get a two-tone gun for one reason. If it ever did show black will hide itself better than silver. You will not be disappointed with the sa9sc. I have at least 700 round through mine and never any issues. Good luck in your search.

·
Registered
8,566 Posts
I plan on getting a CW9 in the future. I love my XD, but I want to be able to wear a t-shirt and shorts in the summer without having to worry about printing.

·
Registered
371 Posts
Dont forget the SIG P290
+1, the p290 is about as heavy as your pps but the size of the cm9. My example has been 100% reliable, and while I did pay close to $600.00, when one considers that the p290 comes with night sights (not even an aftermarket option for some) I believe that it fairly priced.

·
Registered
4,781 Posts
Add the CZ Rami 2075 to your list.

It's my preferred CCW.

·
Registered
1,888 Posts
If you want something slim go with the Kahr. If not I think the XD would be a good choice. Make sure you try them out first though.

·
Registered
128 Posts
I own and carry the PPS everywhere. I chose it because of the size. I have over 500 through it w/o any problems. It shoots Winchester Ranger T 147 grners flawlessly and accurately.

·
Registered
455 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks for the responses, I actually had a chance to check out some pistols today at my local gun dealer, unfortunately, there were out of everything I wanted to try... They did however have a Kahr PM9 with the Crimson Trace... wow, very nice! The thing is that I am used to my XDM 40, so it feel weird to hold a different piece, especially one that is much smaller. So the search will continue... That CZ Rami 2075 looks nice too, I'm gonna try a different gun shop tomorrow.

Another question, is the XDSC 9mm the same width as the XDM 40?

·
Registered
4,999 Posts
Yes. Virtually identical externally. (I say virtually because some person will come along and say nu-uh the XD9 has a 9 on it and the hole in the barrel is smaller.)

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
I have the XDM compact that I conceal sometimes, but when I want to wear basketball shorts / T-shirt I take out the Kahr PM9 (awesome small 9mm)

·
Banned
2,210 Posts
My EDC carry is a Taurus TCP .380ACP. Can slip into a jean pocket, and be carried all day with no problems. When I feel the need for more fire power I'll slip something else in a IWB holster. Once I get my XD45C back from the police I'll conceal carry that.

·
Premium Member
127,411 Posts
My XD9SC works very well for my EDC. There are times when I will carry a single stack due to the clothing I am wearing.

·
Premium Member
4,358 Posts
Thanks for the responses, I actually had a chance to check out some pistols today at my local gun dealer, unfortunately, there were out of everything I wanted to try... They did however have a Kahr PM9 with the Crimson Trace... wow, very nice! The thing is that I am used to my XDM 40, so it feel weird to hold a different piece, especially one that is much smaller. So the search will continue... That CZ Rami 2075 looks nice too, I'm gonna try a different gun shop tomorrow.

I have both.

The xd-9sc and xd-40sc have the same dimensions and both fit the same holster. Shoot the same. I personally don't feel a difference in recoil between the two.

I like the idea of a grip safety, which is why I carry an xd.

Just my preference.

·
Registered
455 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Update:

I went to a different gun shop yesterday, unfortunately, they did not have any of the pistols that I wanted to feel. They did however show me a Glock 26 and a Ruger SR9 compact. First thing I noticed about the Glock 26 was the fact that it feels really good in the hand, and also that the sights line up quickly and perfect (with my XDM 40, I have to work it a little.) This surprised me because I have never held this weapon. The other thing that I notice is the trigger pull! Wow, A lot shorter than the XDM, I like it, I just need something to rest my pinky on. The Ruger SR9c also felt very good, it was nice and slim, I like the fact that it has an external safety on it, trigger pull was good too! Well the search continues...

Does anyone have any experience firing a Glock 36?

1 - 20 of 36 Posts