Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am in the martket for a small compact .380. I like how small and how eashy they are to conceal in the summer time. I am asking for your advice on which brand/model is the best out there from your experience. Thanks.

·
Registered
1,406 Posts
If you want pocket carry, Ruger LCP. I carry one with a CT laser as my everyday back-up to my HK USP .40. Accurate as hell, always goes bang fast as you can pull the trigger Traded up from a horrible Kel-Junk P3AT that cracked the frame and broke a few other times where customer service was rude and refused to fix it. They sent me parts and made me fix it!

I can also recommend the slightly larger Ruger LC9 in 9mm. Still very compact, 17 ounces, and of course accurate & reliable.

If you want sometjing a little bigger for an IWB holster, Sig 230/232, Walther PPK, Beretta "Cheetah" 84 or 85, Kahr .380 or 9mm PM9, CM9. I won't recommend the Taurus .380's, but many here will probably recommend them for a cheaper alternative (not saying cheap, just cheaper than a Sig or Kahr).

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
Don't rule out the Sig P238. Or you could wait for Colt to come back out with the Mustang later this year.

·
Registered
2,676 Posts
I've had nothing but great results with my Kel Tec P3at. Close to 1,000 rounds through it. I kind of like the Kahr 380 but personally I wouldn't spend that kind of money for any .380 pocket pistol. I do carry my KT p3at from time to time on real hot days or if I need to deep conceal carry but since I bought a PM9 it mostly sits in the vault.

·
Premium Member
127,272 Posts
I like the Bersa 380 Thunder.

·
Registered
464 Posts
The bersa isn't a pocket pistol unless you have large pockets.

I'd look at the P238, LCP, P3AT, S&W Bodyguard, or the microeagle. Handle them all. Pick the ones that feel the best in your hand and in your pocket. A good shop will let you do this.
Then find a range that rents them and go shooting. Pick the one that feels and shoots best for you.
Getting advise on which gun is the best is like getting advice on which tennis shoe is the best. "Best" is alwyas subjective and what one person likes another won't. You're always better off trying them on for your best fit.

·
Registered
760 Posts
I have the Ruger LCP with the Crimson Trace laser on it. Really love it and very accurate and dependable. Hides great in the pocket w/Nemisis holster.

I also put a Hogue Handall Jr grip (had to trim it to fit) and added a finger extension to the mag. Really helped in grip fit and control. :D

·
Registered
100 Posts
I have the Ruger LCP with the Crimson Trace laser on it. Really love it and very accurate and dependable. Hides great in the pocket w/Nemisis holster.

I also put a Hogue Handall Jr grip (had to trim it to fit) and added a finger extension to the mag. Really helped in grip fit and control. :D
I also have the Ruger LCP with the same EXACT setup.

I am from the islands so I wear shorts a lot. I like how the LCP can easily be concealed in your pocket.

There is a current $50 rebate promo for crimson trace and if you order online they will throw in a pocket holster!

I am excited too since I just got my permit in the mail

·
Registered
10,955 Posts
I have a P3At that has never had an issue but I would certainly consider a LCP as well.

I had a S&W 642 and traded it off. If I have something in my pocket, it has to be as light as possible and its still going to end most of the type of confrontations a pocket pistol is built for.

·
Registered
42 Posts
You can NEVER go wrong with a Ruger. The Ruger LCP .380 goes for $290.00 at Budsgunshop.com and the shipping is free. If you don't mind spending a few bucks more, the Sig Sauer P238 is a solid choice also but at least a hundred bucks more.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Another vote for Ruger w/TC plus Nemesis holster.

"They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety"- Benjamin Franklin

·
Registered
100 Posts
I was looking at the BG380 but I did not like the placement of the button to activate the laser.

there is a lot of rave about he new LC9 but it isn't a true pocket pistol. It might fit if you are the type that is "gangsta" with big pockets.

Again, there is a promo where you buy the CTC and you get a free holster designed for the LCP with CTC.

1 - 20 of 52 Posts