Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am going to purchase a .22 rifle and/or pistol in the future and figured it wouldn't hurt to stock up on ammo now. While I hear most .22's are finicky with ammo, which brand do you find the most reliable and which should I stock up on. *Preferably ammo that is readily available at Wal-Mart, eh.

I'll probably just get a Ruger 10/22 if that helps any.

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks in advance

·
Registered
1,888 Posts
For my 10/22's, i like to shoot CCI stingers out of a tactical innovations magazine. However for plinking that gets sort of expensive. When I want to shred cans I shoot the Remington Cyclones. They jam very little for me and can be found at most sporting good stores.

·
Registered
362 Posts
I've experimented with most every rimfire I've ever owned - Winchester, Federal, Remington, CCI, Aguilla, etc...

Some fired better than others, but for some odd reason, most everything I've shot likes CCI ammo.

Mini-Mags are my favorite 22LR round
Stingers work great also
Maxi-Mags for my 22 Magnum
CB Shorts for my old 552 Speedmaster when I feel like shooting shorts

I haven't had good luck with Remington bulk ammo
Winchester has been hit or miss
Federal normally worked well, but not as good as CCI

All the best,
Glenn

·
Registered
5,752 Posts
i use the remington bulk packs for all my 22s. a p22 which has eaten any ammo except the cheap federal in the blue&black 50 round boxes. also have a ruger 10/22 charger that eats everything exceot the same federal ones my p22 wont shoot. they shoot the federal bulk pack just fine just not those blue/black box ones

·
Registered
174 Posts
I'v not had too many problems with the Federal bulk packs, every once in awhile I get a dud.

The remington golden bullet bulk pack seem to work ok, but it seems dirtier.

I'v also shot CCI Ammo, and have used it for squirrel hunting, any CCi ammo has been great in my Marlin 60 rifle.

·
Premium Member
5,354 Posts
Every gun may be different, so I wouldn't stock up on much before you test it. Mini-Mags work in most anything it seems. Federal Bulk seems to be the best bang for the buck.

·
Banned
5,690 Posts
I shoot CCI Standard Velocity out of my target .22s.
They never fail to fire, never jam in any of my guns and are accurate.

I bought 10,000 rounds about 6 years ago, have 4000 left.

Paid $2.29/100! HAHAHAHAA!!

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
Well from my experience a bolt action will eat anything I put in it. As for semi-auto, I shoot CCI. I tried the cheaper bulk ammo, and had way to many feed problems. I buy the CCI mini-mags, bulk for my bolt action.

·
Premium Member
1,795 Posts
My Buckmark eats anything but works best with CCI MiniMags and does well with Federal Bulk (both Wally World ammo). Hates the Golden Bullets; too many FTFire and leaves lots of residue in the bore.

·
Registered
187 Posts
CCI Blazer bulk packs work wonders in every .22 I have. It sucks that they are not plated, but lead fingers never killed anybody... right? Second best in my opinion is the Federal bulk packs. These are copper plated so that is a bonus, but they FTF a little more frequently in my guns. However if you wanna spend the big bucks get a boat load of CCI MiniMags, these are quite remarkable in their awesomeness.

·
Premium Member
563 Posts
I've had no issues with Remington bulk packs but then again, my 22's are a bolt action and a cowboy gun. Such a blast shooting those two!

·
Premium Member
13,498 Posts
I use the Rem 550 Bulk packs in a Beretta Neos and have not had any issues in 300 rounds so far. A great value at $17.00/550.

·
Premium Member
341 Posts
I've worn out the barrel on my first 10-22 and have had few function problems with any ammo it has had thru it.(in excess of 35,000)There were certainly ammos it grouped better with, but for plinking I have always bought whatever I could find for cheap.Since I replaced the barrel it seems to be most accurate with CCI Stingers and for small pests they are what I use.

·
Registered
11 Posts
My Walther p22 will eat just about everything, it likes CCI mini mags the best seems to have the most trouble with Remington golden box bulk, mainly ftf. my custom 10/22 will eat anything i have around to feed it, however the Remington and Federal bulk packs seem to be dirtier, with a few more ftf. Most accurate with CCI min-mags, or if really being extravagant some target grade. Any of the bolt action guns, like ruger 77/22 or cz's function fine but are more accurate with the higher grade hunting or target ammo. ultimately if you're just going plinking buy whatever is most affordable, if more accuracy or reliablity is required, ie. squirrel/gopher/rabbit or competition shooting upgrade to a few boxes of the better stuff.

p.s. if you are looking at a 10/22 they are a great gun and a lot of fun with many accessories. With a heavy barrel can be scary accurate for a 22 semi auto.

·
Registered
290 Posts
If I was looking for a pistol. I'd get a Ruger MKIII. I sure LOVE mine....

·
Registered
5,617 Posts
I would suggest buying about 1000 or so high velocity rounds, like mini mags. Run them through whatever you buy (assuming semi auto) and THEN go for the super cheap bulk stuff. A lot of .22's are a little stiff from the factory and the hi-po rounds help loosen it up. Did the trick with my old P22...it LOVED the bulk stuff after a 1000 round diet of Mini Mags.

·
Premium Member
1,756 Posts
those remington gold ones shoot pretty good in my 10/22 but they're dirty as hell. I shot some stuff my dad had that was quite a few years old. Non coated lead bullet. It shot 10x cleaner than the remington stuff :)

·
Registered
1,955 Posts
I find rimfires to be very individualistic when it comes to their ammo likes and dislikes.

I wouldn't stock up on ammo until you find a brand/type your gun likes.

·
Registered
174 Posts
My Buckmark eats anything but works best with CCI MiniMags and does well with Federal Bulk (both Wally World ammo). Hates the Golden Bullets; too many FTFire and leaves lots of residue in the bore.
I was shooting yesterday and using the Golden bullets, one round would not fire, I tried it 3 times. It happens time to time with this stuff.

I decided to disassemble it to see why it wouldn't fire. There was no primer material spun in the case. I guess rounds don't fire without primer? ;)

·
Banned
5,690 Posts
The Remington Golden .22 LR are not reliable.

I've had them fire the 2nd time when struck in a different part of the rim and I've tried them FIVE TIMES until the rim looks like it's been nibbled by a metal mouse and had them fail to fire.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts