Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,062 Posts
you cannot go wrong with the 10/22. They are rock solid and there are tons of things that you can do to upgrade/update it.

·
Banned
1,082 Posts
I'm actually building a 10/22. Ruger receiver and bolt, Tactical Solutions barrel (either matte od green or grey), Hogue stock... I'm still researching for trigger options, but overall I'm probably going to drop around $600 on this project. That doesn't include any optics yet though.

·
Premium Member
3,090 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
So do either of you have a suggestion for the 3 that I listed? Is the birch stock supposed to be decent? Is the SS barrel on the synthetic stock supposed to be any more accurate?

·
Banned
1,082 Posts
If it was me, I'd pick the birch stock. I have no experience with the 3 listed above. The 10/22 is so easy to customize that you can easily swap out the stock and barrel to something better in the future!

Either way, if I bought any of the 3 above, I would swap out the barrel and the stock... :) Sorry, I'm probably not much help, but I'm reading up a lot on what people have done with the 10/22.

·
Premium Member
2,583 Posts
10/22

More aftermarket support and upgrades available than all other mainstream .22 rifles out there combined... Or so it seems anyway.

·
Premium Member
3,090 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
10/22

More aftermarket support and upgrades available than all other mainstream .22 rifles out there combined... Or so it seems anyway.

Do you know if the SS barrel has any noticeable effect on accuracy?

·
Registered
7 Posts
I have the wood stock on several 10-22's - but i would like to get the synthetic stock on one for when my son and I shoot the 22 two gun competion as the wood gets beat up a bit!

Rick

·
Registered
1,354 Posts
If you go with the 10/22 (which would be my pick)...either one will be fine. I don't think the SS barrel vs. the chrome moly barrel will make much, if any, difference in the accuracy of the rifle. Also, FWIW, whatever you do don't buy that at Impact Guns...especially the birch one. Got to your local Wal-Mart and buy one for $25-50 less.

·
Banned
8,566 Posts
do you go camping?

if so i like the papoose, i have had one 14 years its a neat gun.

you can get it in wood and blued steel ... thats what i have, but couldnt find picture of it.

10/22 for the win if you want to mod the crap outta the gun, if you just want a good/really good plinker marlin makes great guns. I love marlin 22's and marlin 30 -30 lever guns.

details on papoose if you likez

Marlin Model 70PSS Stainless

·
Registered
4,781 Posts
Wait a minute.... I'm on a gun related forum... OP is asking about an inexpensive 22 plinker, and nobody mentions a Marlin 60.

I know he didn't list it as an option, but I would fell like I failed my fellow xdtalk members if I didn't recommend the M60.

For the money, you WILL NOT find a more accurate, dependable, and durable 22. Without a doubt the most accurate. There has been more M60 rifles sold in this country than any other rifle out there.

Now having said that, if you want something to customize, then go with the 10/22.

But if you mention 22 and inexpensive in the same question, I have to bring up the M60.

·
Premium Member
3,090 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I actually picked up the 10/22 yesterday, but thanks for the suggestion. I wanted something I could customize over time, so the 10/22 fit the bill. What are your thoughts on the 10/22's accuracy out of the box?

Wait a minute.... I'm on a gun related forum... OP is asking about an inexpensive 22 plinker, and nobody mentions a Marlin 60.

I know he didn't list it as an option, but I would fell like I failed my fellow xdtalk members if I didn't recommend the M60.

For the money, you WILL NOT find a more accurate, dependable, and durable 22. Without a doubt the most accurate. There has been more M60 rifles sold in this country than any other rifle out there.

Now having said that, if you want something to customize, then go with the 10/22.

But if you mention 22 and inexpensive in the same question, I have to bring up the M60.

·
Banned
8,566 Posts
I actually picked up the 10/22 yesterday, but thanks for the suggestion. I wanted something I could customize over time, so the 10/22 fit the bill. What are your thoughts on the 10/22's accuracy out of the box?
good - great. Youll be able to hit any critter you want with it, you can kill chipmunks at great distance, squirrels ... i think out of the box the marlin and the 10/22 are both neat guns. Sure you can do tons to it, does it need it naah not really, its fun to mod stuff and cut your groups in half, but your groups are already miniscule to begin with.

I would rather have another ar15 than a $850-$1000 .22 lr, but thats just me.

Might go shoot it a number of times before you mod the crap outta it, you might love it just the way it is, not crazy to put on decent scope and trigger job and call it a day.

Of course if the money is burning a hole in your pocket do what ever makes you happy.

·
Premium Member
3,090 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
good - great. Youll be able to hit any critter you want with it, you can kill chipmunks at great distance, squirrels ... i think out of the box the marlin and the 10/22 are both neat guns. Sure you can do tons to it, does it need it naah not really, its fun to mod stuff and cut your groups in half, but your groups are already miniscule to begin with.

I would rather have another ar15 than a $850-$1000 .22 lr, but thats just me.

Might go shoot it a number of times before you mod the crap outta it, you might love it just the way it is, not crazy to put on decent scope and trigger job and call it a day.

Of course if the money is burning a hole in your pocket do what ever makes you happy.

I am definitely going to shoot it for a while before I do any mods. As for money burning a hole in my pockets, it is NOT happening! I just like to have a little project on the side to keep me busy. If I end up liking it the way it is, I am sure my AR can keep me busy for a long long time. :grin:

·
Registered
1,354 Posts
Of all the 10/22's I have owned and built for others, out-of-the-box accuracy was not much worse at 25 yards with the stock factory barrel as compared to the Volquartsen, Shilen and other barrels I have used. You should be able to shoot just about anything you want within 50 yards with the stock barrel, sights, etc. The biggest hurdle is the crappy, heavy and generally poor trigger in the 10/22. If you don't do anything else to it for a while, I'd at least do a trigger job. Volquartsen has a couple of options: 1) the HP Action/Trigger kit (2.5lb, crisp, clean pull after installing the parts - $125-130); and 2) THE TG2000 complete drop-in trigger group ($225-250).

·
Premium Member
3,090 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Of all the 10/22's I have owned and built for others, out-of-the-box accuracy was not much worse at 25 yards with the stock factory barrel as compared to the Volquartsen, Shilen and other barrels I have used. You should be able to shoot just about anything you want within 50 yards with the stock barrel, sights, etc. The biggest hurdle is the crappy, heavy and generally poor trigger in the 10/22. If you don't do anything else to it for a while, I'd at least do a trigger job. Volquartsen has a couple of options: 1) the HP Action/Trigger kit (2.5lb, crisp, clean pull after installing the parts - $125-130); and 2) THE TG2000 complete drop-in trigger group ($225-250).
If the stock barrel accuracy turns out to be as you say, I may just keep it. I will probably get a black hogue stock for durability reasons.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts