Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm a small sized woman and I was interested in getting one of the Springfield's 1911 models, but not sure which to purchase. I already have the XD sub (9MM), which I love, for my CCW and wanted more stopping power for my 1911 which will be my home self-defense weapon.

Any suggestions? I'm torn between the Ultra Compact and the Full Size.

·
Registered
9,947 Posts
The smaller the 1911 the more felt recoil you will have on the flip side the smaller the 1911 the less it will weigh. At the shot show my Fiancee picked up up the new smaller micro compact in 45 gap. They have made the grip even shorter from front to back, well she has samll hands and she loved the thing.

What about an xd sub in 40 sw.

·
Registered
813 Posts
if it's for home, a full size 1911 with a set of slim profile grips and a straight backstrap would be a good choice. It's heavier but that will help with recoil as Ajames said. I would also say a CZ or a USP if you want .45 but the CZ is heavy and USP is pretty good sized as well.

·
Registered
1,552 Posts
Gun Girl-

I went through this with my wife. I've been shooting 1911's for years, and it was one of the first handguns that Peggi learned how to shoot. I swapped around and got her a Officer-sized gun (fully-rebuilt A/O Pit Bull), but the recoil was too harsh for her. She liked my son's XD-9, but still wanted a big bullet. We found an excellent compromise in the service-sized XD-40, which she handles quite well.

http://www.hs2000talk.com/viewtopic.php?t=19780&highlight=[/code]

1911's are fine guns, but often require some tweaking to get them to run reliably. This is especially common in the smallest versions. Try an XD-40 and see what you think. It compares well to the Commander-size 1911's for size & weight, and is generally easier for smaller-handed shooters to manipulate.

·
Registered
10,955 Posts
Check out their lightweight champion, I have an older version that was called the LW Compact, it has a shorter grip frame than than the champion but even my wife can shoot it comfortably. Maybe you can rent a few models from a local range.

·
Registered
31,246 Posts
I am a huge fan of the 1911, but sgt is right - the smaller 1911s are troublesome and have alot of recoil and muzzle flip. Unless you want to do some tewaking, a 1911 right out of the box may or may not be right for you and work all the time. That said, a properly tuned 1911 is very reliable and deadly accurate.

How about an XD-40? I have one and love it. Right out of the box, it was trouble free and accurate. The 40SW has alot of stopping power.

Also, don't give up on the used market. I recently bought a slightly used Sig 220 in 45acp for 350 dollars. I know that CDNN in Abilene, TX sells nice, used Sig 220s for around 400 dollars. That is a quality piece of hardware that will give you great reliability, accuracy and the 45acp round for less than a new 1911 or XD.

-Brickboy240

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
All,

Thanks for the great advice. I know my local range has the XD-40, but unfortunately they don't have the 1911s to rent. Perhaps, at this time, its best for me to master a smaller caliber non troublesome weapon; gain confidence and them move to a more sophisticated handgun.

Again thanks.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Yeah, can't go wrong with a .40, but if you are dead set on a 1911, the Springfield GI-issue 1911A1's are good. Out of the box they shoot rather reliably and they are the cheapest to afford of the Springfield line. 5'' full size .45 for a home protection, I see no problem with it.

·
Registered
116 Posts
ChopperEd said:
Yeah, can't go wrong with a .40, but if you are dead set on a 1911, the Springfield GI-issue 1911A1's are good. Out of the box they shoot rather reliably and they are the cheapest to afford of the Springfield line. 5'' full size .45 for a home protection, I see no problem with it.
I concure. A friend of mine bought one of these and I was supprised how little it recoiled compared to my XD40. Accurate shooter too.

·
Registered
31,246 Posts
A small gunshop on the eastside of Houston. He only had one and I have known the guy for a long time. It is a Browning/Sig and has the hell clip release - something that turns some people away.

Seriously though, CDNN sells 220s in better shape than mine for 400 bucks. Thats a steal for a pistol of such quality. The Sig 220 is really bringing into question my theory that the 1911 is the best platform for the 45acp round.

-Brickboy240

·
Registered
181 Posts
If you want a full size .45 and you are already familiar with the XD trigger you might want to consider the XD45 GAP Tactical.

·
Registered
1,148 Posts
I have tons of 1911s and there is exactly one factory made sub-compact that is reliable, light weight, accurate, and has very little felt recoil. That pistol is a Colt Defender .45 acp. Even though it has an alloy frame, there is less felt recoil than some of my LW Commander size pistols. This is due to the recoil guide rod set-up. You should have complete reliability as long as you switch out the entire guide rod assembly every 250 rounds. This is what I was told by the man who designed the system and thus far it has been 100% accurate.

ranburr

·
Registered
992 Posts
One more thing to think about before laying down cash:

What flavor do you want? 1911s come in many varieties/options. I found that I needed a beavertail grip safety because the regular grip safety tang dug into my skin and caused me to bleed. I also decided that I like the longer triggers rather than the short G.I. trigger. Depending on the trigger, my perference for the backstrap changes. Longer trigger and flat backstrap, or medium length trigger with arched backstrap.

See if you can find someone who will let you shoot them to see what features work for you, which are mandatorty, and which ones you can live without. Customizing a 1911 gets expensive, so it is usually wise to buy one that is as close to your liking as possible. Will you want to upgrade the sights? You'll wish you bought a 1911 with sight dovetails already cut, as this mod is expensive.

As far as I'm concerned, there are 5" 1911s and there are "others." The 5" guns are typically the most reliable (it's the original design), and the increased sight radius usually makes them more accurate in the shooter's hands than a shorter barreled counterpart. Stay away from the micro 1911s, and steer clear of the smaller ones with aluminum frames. Can you say "Recoil!?"

For a regular production 1911, I only buy Springfield, and I have my reasons. Colt is also a great choice, but for the same money, you'll wind up with plastic parts which you'll probably want to swap out. The trigger and mainspring housing on the Colt 1991s have been plastic for a while, and I don't think Colt has changed that. If the upreared horsey means everything to you, only a Colt will do. I think they start in the $500s. You can find a Loaded Springfield in the low $600s. I think the value of the Springfield is in the features. You get Novak Sights (good if you want to switch sights later), beavertail grip safety, longer trigger, flat backstrap, ambidextrous safety and front slide serrations (not a factor as far as I'm concerned). I have found the quality of recent Colt 1911s to be lacking in comparison to what the competition is putting out there.

Good luck finding your ideal 1911! It's a sickness! 8)

B9

·
Registered
813 Posts
Sounds like what you are looking for would be filled with either an XD Service in .40 or .45Gap. Reliable out of the box, good stopping power in either cartridge and you get a rail that you can attach a light to which is good to have for a home defense weapon.

·
Registered
885 Posts
mpholic said:
If you want a full size .45 and you are already familiar with the XD trigger you might want to consider the XD45 GAP Tactical.
+1
If you already like the ergos of the XD (who doesn't?), the .45 GAP may be the way to go for you.

·
Registered
2 Posts
My wife prefers her Rock River 1911 to my XD-40 service model. She says the XD with 180gr loads has more recoil than her 1911 shooting 230gr hardball.

My impression is the XD has a quicker recoil than the 1911. My XD is a carry gun, the 1911's are match guns.

·
Registered
39 Posts
I like Colt Commanders- you might consider the .38 Super which has better ballistics than the 9mm, but recoils about the same.

·
Registered
107 Posts
In my experience, most polymer framed .40's have more felt recoil than a .45ACP 1911. It's not a lot, but it is a bit snappier. If it's a first 1911 for you I would also suggest the Springfield GI model. Good starter 1911 and will help you decide if you want to get deeper into the 1911 market. When you get a gun like the Springfield GI you either decide that there's way too much stuff you can do to a 1911 and you don't have enough time or desire to do that sort of thing or you decide there's way too much stuff you can do to a 1911 and you want to do all of it.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts