Springfield XD Forum banner
1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Obviously, keeping your pantry stocked and having food storage is important (along with keeping your car filled up). That being said where are you going to shop if it starts to hit the fan unexpectedly? Ideally, I'd like to plan something now so I can act instead of wasting valuable time when it happens.

If your Costco is anything like the one near me you can forget about even getting close to it. I have trouble finding a spot most Saturdays let alone when everyone is panicking. I would thing Sam's and Walmart would be the same. There are advantages though; buying in bulk, larger inventory, possibly only having to make one stop.

Local supermarkets shelves will empty pretty quickly and you'll probably have to make more than one stop...which could waste time.

I've tried to look for stores further away from things, but again their inventory would be smaller...along with the fact it could literally be the only game in town for that area.

Another thing I've thought about is that if my wife and I split up and head in two directions we could get more done. I'm not sure I'd want to be separated from her though in that kind of situation.

Has anyone else put any thoughts into planning for this?

·
Registered
339 Posts
I have thought about this a bit and I have come to the conclusion that you are not going to be able to count on being able to get more supplies even if you act quickly. This would be the type of situation that requires immediate action and likely a high degree of improvisation.

If put in this situation you will need to act without hesitation and possibly be ruthless to secure what you need. Also, depending on what is causing SHTF, the order in which you need to perform those actions may be different. For example, it may be more important to pack up to bug out before getting additional supplies. On the other hand, you may have the time to get more supplies before you need to get out of dodge.

Any way it happens, I think you are on the right track. Knowing what sources for supplies are around you and what they have is important. I also agree that big stores like Wal-Mart or Costco will be the most chaotic. Another thing I have thought about is what if you need to bug out at night when many stores are closed? If things were bad enough you might find yourself taking what you need instead of buying it in that situation.

Lots of stuff to think about on this topic. Good post.

·
Registered
2,524 Posts
Don't count on being able to shop. Anyone who has been through a natural disaster will tell you that.

For that matter, don't plan on being able to get out of your house.

·
Registered
1,567 Posts
I personaly am of the opinion that supermarkets will be a mistake. they will be over crowded, they may just be looting instead of buying anything, and you may have to deal with unstable people with firearms robbing people of the 42 inch plasma they are looting. think smaller, Feed stores carry oats that are fine for human consuption (seriourly a bag of oats for a race horse are cheap and better cleaned than ones for human comsumption) they may also carry rabbits, and chickens, heck I know of some locally that have dairy cows and other live stock for sale. If I was to go anywhere it would be to a bottling plant to grab tons of water. I could put two 275 gallon tanks in my truck and another 6-8 on the trailer thats 2200-2750 galons of water.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Good ideas with the Feed store and the water.

I understand that in some situations staying home is the way to go. It will be safer and there are some very important things to be done there. As someone said it also may be night time or simply impossible due to a disaster.

There really isn't anything I can do about those situations other than prepare ahead of time as best I can. I'm focusing on that window that may exist before things really fall apart where I can make one last trip to the store/stores. Something like the start of Patriots where the writing is on the wall before the riots.

One thing I've thought which is a stretch of an idea...is possibly going to locally owned restaurants (if they are open) and seeing what they would sell me. There are more than a few in rather close proximity to each other. I'm not sure how many can goods they would have, but they might have fresh fruits, and veggies. I could easily put those in mason jars. Again, I know it's a stretch, but I'm trying to think of ideas.

Few other things I'm kicking around...maybe a local bakery would have supplies I could purchase....Big Sears has a limited grocery section and picking up some craftsman tools wouldn't be a bad thing.

·
Registered
581 Posts
Do your shopping now.

Keep a year of food and ammo stocked in your house. Also get some non-hybrid seeds. You'll be prepped for the initial SHTF, and the aftermath.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Your gonna need to travel light and quickly.
MRE's, dried food and the likes will be easier to stow and go.
You main problem is going to be potable water. Tablets and filters are a good start but only if you have a water source. Water is also very heavy when carried in bulk. I would suggest learning several methods and yes even practicing them for any SHTF moments.
I have a couple small bug-out bags that will keep me and mine for more than a few days as long as I can supplement with fresh meats (hunted/scavenged) and find a water source.

·
Registered
837 Posts
Good topic, I've been thinking about it a lot tonight. I never really put a lot of thought into where to shop if I had a small window. What someone said about a feed store got me thinking about distributors. I'd find a restaurant supply store and head there. Usually, they are in industrial parks, probably not the first place most people would think to go. They sell in bulk and should have a large supply. You might even be able to save money on food in the mean time. Getting to know the people there isn't a bad thing either.

·
Premium Member
1,243 Posts
I can't stress enough to get your supplies BEFORE it happens, you can watch for warning signs and be prepared. If you go out when it happens, everyone else will be too - credit cards will most likely not be accepted, then the run on the banks happen. US banks do not have that much cash on hand, I think somewhere in the neighborhood of 7%. When you can't get your cash out then you are up a poop crick without a paddle.

The trained eye I believe will be able to see this a few days to a week before "it" happens. Get your last minute preps then.

-------------

If you do not see the signs, I fully believe your best bet would be a mom and pop shop and not a huge supermarket. Make friends, buddy up favors etc for your local mom and pop shops.

·
Registered
1,391 Posts
The first thing I would suggest is make no assumptions. Do not assume you will have a car to drive, a road to drive on, or a store to shop in. Another thing to plan on; if you can get to a store, it is open, and has goods on the shelf, then expect them to be a cash only transaction, and plan on it being a lot of cash. Do not be suprised to find a single can of veggies selling for five dollars or more.
If you are serious about survival planning, then start your shopping now. I would focus on can goods and bottled water. The one thing you will want to do, especially with the water is rotate it. You will need to store up a supply, and then start using it and replacing it. The canned veggies also. They normally have a shelf life of a year or two, but you want to pay attention to the expiration date. As they get close dated, the use them and replace them.
The best survival plan is the one you can implement before the disaster happens, and not assume you will be able to implement it after the event.
The other thing you need to have in good supply is ammo; both self/home defense and hunting.
If you establish your plan now, and follow it, then in the event of a disaster you lock yourself in, and protect your family.

·
Registered
1,663 Posts
Wise food storage. I picked up 1 a month until I had enough to feed my family 3-squares for 3 months. Water is tougher, because it's heavy. We really don't drink bottled water, but I started buying a package with every trip to the market. At 1 gallon per person per day I have enough to last 6 months. We are collecting rain/snow water already, and I devised a gravity fed reverse osmosis system that is piped into the basement. We also have a garden with non-hybrid seeds, and we cultivate it ourselves. Can goods are cheap, so stock up! Power is harder. I'm working on a solar panel/diesel generator arrangement. Notice I say diesel, because you can burn almost anything in it.

·
Registered
691 Posts
Do your shopping now.

Keep a year of food and ammo stocked in your house. Also get some non-hybrid seeds. You'll be prepped for the initial SHTF, and the aftermath.
This sounds like you are talking a long term SHTF and not a natural disaster that will have businesses open within weeks or a few months. For the short term natural disaster, be prepared food, water, and protection. This is not a big deal if planned for. I would also suggest entertainment as it can get rather boring without electricity if you aren't scrounging to survive.

If you need heirloom seeds then you are planning for years without, or something that is not recovered from. Possibly something that significantly lowers your standard of living. Not so far fetched if you look at many other areas of the world currently. However, having seeds will not help you. You need to have established gardens with good soil, not dirt, and the skill needed to maintain said garden. Building up your soil takes years, especially if you can't run out to home depot and buy additives. There are many good books on gardening, I have a section of my bookshelf for them. But reading is not doing, and again it takes several years of trial, error, and research to know what you are doing. Having a pack of seeds with no experience and expecting to toss the seeds on the ground to produce food is a very similar to buying a firearm and ammunition and expecting to be able to defend yourself without ever going to the range to practice.

·
Registered
7,507 Posts
The "S" hitting the fan could be an earthquake, hurricane, tornado, Al Gore farting or other serious but transient disturbance. In those cases, the people stopping to shop are the ones that will have issues. Get in the car and go-- right away. Growing up in a place with an honest to goodness winter taught the wisdom of keeping the tank full. If you want to be prepared, only use the top half of the tank. Don't be that person that just uses the bottom 1/4 and is always bebopping around with the fuel light on! If the S hits, the bottom 1/2 of the tank will be able to get you out of the danger zone -- if you don't hesitate! You have to be like the person that leaves the ball game before the last out. He gets out of the parking lot, on the freeway and 1/2 way home before the bulk of the people leave the stadium.

Anyone that is prepping for long term interruption of civilization with non-hybrid seeds should also have a plot of ground ready for those seeds! I've got a few acres and have had over 30,000 pounds of lime spread for wildlife food plot areas. It takes about 7 TON of lime per acre around here. It also needs to be repeated every 3 years of so. Making a productive food plot means the land is also ready to turn into a productive farm.

·
Registered
782 Posts
Think about this....for all of you northerners what happens when SNOW is predicted...NO milk, bread, eggs, etc. at any store.

If S*** REALLY HITS THE FAN don't you think the employees of any store will consume most of the merchandise for themselves, family and friends? shoulda...coulda...woulda...what happens to your vehicle while your in the store with the hungry mob, if you can find a parking space within 1/2 mile? much to think about my friends.

·
Registered
11,292 Posts
Lets just ALL hope the the S never HTF. It's gonna be ugly. Where to shop? There will be no shopping, only bartering with what ya got.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I think some people are missing the purpose of this thread. Shopping and preparing before hand is paramount and yes if it's really bad staying home is ideal. I really want to focus on less crowded places to go if there is a small window to add additional supplies to what we already have.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts