Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After cleaning & re-assembling my new XD .45 ACP service,I noticed that the Striker sounded & felt like it was not falling as solidly when I dry-fired it as it had previously.I took it back apart to see if there was any extra oil,gunk or debris & shot some degreaser down in the firing pin channel,but the striker still felt weak during dry-firing.I'm wanting to take firing pin out of it to give the firing pin channel a good cleaning and see if there is anything in there causing problems.The SA manual doesn't get into this,so I'm wondering if there is any place to get info about more extensive disassembly etc. than just basic field stripping.Thank you.

·
Registered
5,752 Posts
so you just field striped it?

·
Premium Member
3,762 Posts
That sounds pretty typical of the XD 45. I dont think it has anything to do with you cleaning it. I think you just happened to be paying a little more attention to it after reassembly. Striker fired pistols dont have the umphh that a hammer gun has when the trigger is pulled.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for that link,Tard.That's just what I was looking for.

I compared it to my Glocks during dry-firing & the XD's striker sounded/felt really flat by comparison.I was pretty sure before shooting & cleaning the XD that they were very similiar.

·
Premium Member
355 Posts
When in doubt about something as critical, I'd make a fast dash for the range and test it out. I wouldn't want to count on a gun that I didn't trust 100%.

·
Banned
5,690 Posts
If you reload, you can make a shell with a new primer but no powder or bullet, see if the primer gets a strong strike and 'fires'. If you have a bullet puller tool, you can just disassemble a commercially made round.

Also, you can put a pencil down the barrel with the eraser against the firing pin and dry fire the pistol with the muzzle pointing somewhat upwards.
The pencil should pretty much go flying out of the gun due to the firing pin strike.

Compare it to another XD if you have one, or another similar gun, they all have 'about' the same firing pin strike.

Guns are more fun when you reload because you can try so much more stuff (like double charging a round and nearly breaking your thumb) I didn't say that.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts